Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Friday's Stat of the Day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Of the 89 teams to make the playoffs with a top-two scoring defense in tow, 31 of them made it all the way to the Super Bowl. That's 34.8 percent, which is a number with legit meaning, given that the Jags are one of six combatants in the AFC (theoretically giving each a 16.7 percent chance). 

Source: NFL.com
(01-05-2018, 12:46 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Of the 89 teams to make the playoffs with a top-two scoring defense in tow, 31 of them made it all the way to the Super Bowl. That's 34.8 percent, which is a number with legit meaning, given that the Jags are one of six combatants in the AFC (theoretically giving each a 16.7 percent chance). 

Source: NFL.com

Pretty cool stat (34.8%) but as a stat dude, I wonder what percentage of those 89 teams were seeded #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 ....  I'd love to see if the 34.8% came from teams that had bye weeks, hosted playoff games, etc.  Also, I assume this stat dates back to the ole days when there were 3 divisions in each conference and there were only 4 conference playoff teams (not 6) so our statistically chances may be lowered accordingly.   Can you please spend the next few days compiling additional detail for us ... LOL Smile

Also, I don't like the use of the term theoretically when it comes to stats.  As an example, if LeBron James and I had been the only 2 people to enter the 2003 NBA Draft, theoretically, we would have each had a 50% chance of being drafted #1.