Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 1st Half Playcalling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Trust me, I know Blake has played less than stellar so far, but I think a lot of it falls back on the play calling so far.  Everytime our playcalling tenses up and gets ultra conservative, our offense seems to struggle.  I struggle to see how our coaching staff hasn't identified this yet.  We've been light years better when we open it up and throw it downfield on early downs.  How many screens did we run in the 1st half?  We've been a terrible screen team the entire year.  Don't try to force what you want to work, just go with what works.
Hackett
I think after seeing the first several bad passes by Bortles, Hack Job flipped his play calling sheet over to the run only playlist, and forbade Bortles from throwing again.
Stop. Running. On. First. Down.
It was terrible. Then we open the second half with a big throw and go right back to the garbage
It's a mix. Blake couldn't make any throws, so you have to worry about his dumb turnovers rearing their ugly head. Like you said though, Blake plays better when they let him toss the ball downfield. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type scenario for Hackett. I'd still take the gamble on letting Blake play loose though.
(01-07-2018, 05:31 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Stop. Running. On. First. Down.

That's the dichotomy of a QB that needs up tempo to get in a groove with a RB that needs a methodical 25+ carries to wear out a defense.
I'm glad Blake started using his feet - he definitely helped earn the win by doing that....

But he and Hackett both still need to go. The offense in general needs serious addressing. Being a run-only kind of one-dimensional team in the playoffs is not enough.
(01-07-2018, 05:35 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad Blake started using his feet - he definitely helped earn the win by doing that....

But he and Hackett both still need to go. The offense in general needs serious addressing. Being a run-only kind of one-dimensional team in the playoffs is not enough.

The Jaguars had absolutely no business winning that game.
I feel like he thinks he has to convince opposing teams we're a run-first team on every single play. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple pass-heavy drives.
(01-07-2018, 05:37 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2018, 05:35 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]I'm glad Blake started using his feet - he definitely helped earn the win by doing that....

It was a fun game cheering for the Jaguars as a fan of the team. But as a fan of football in general, it was a pitifully played game. They played hard, but it was hardly clean. A lot of poor execution from both teams, it was UGLY and we won. It happens, need to clean it up really quick though.
(01-07-2018, 05:37 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]

Neither did the Bills though.
If we didn’t deserve to win the Bills certainly didn’t
(01-07-2018, 03:43 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: [ -> ]Trust me, I know Blake has played less than stellar so far, but I think a lot of it falls back on the play calling so far.  Everytime our playcalling tenses up and gets ultra conservative, our offense seems to struggle.  I struggle to see how our coaching staff hasn't identified this yet.  We've been light years better when we open it up and throw it downfield on early downs.  How many screens did we run in the 1st half?  We've been a terrible screen team the entire year.  Don't try to force what you want to work, just go with what works.

Hackett’s play calling almost the entire game was pretty suspect.
It's obvious what we're doing. It's just an ultra conservative approach that relies on our defense getting the turnovers. It worked today. It won't be winning any championships though. Eventually you run into a quarterback who can complete passes.
The first half play calling was just atrocious. If I saw one more screen play or a 2-yard pass I was going to puke. Always running on first down, YUK! The only reason Buffalo was in this game in the first half was because of the play calling. If they would have opened it up in the first half, we would have had an easier second half than we did. Thus being said as well, the players have got to catch it when it's right in their hands and the line needs to block better, especially when it's a run. Also BB5 needs to throw better, but they gotta catch it when it's right in their hands. Come on!

If we start out run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on 3rd, punt on 4th or something very similar but screen pass on 2nd and get 2 yards, we're going to lose against Pittsburgh. We can't expect another 5 interception day, oh yeah that would be great but we need to come out of the gate quicker. That is when we have been putting teams away because we take the momentum away from them.

That being said, the stadium rocked!!!! I really didn't think there'd be as many Bills fans as there were, but most of them took to being ribbed at after the game. Overall it, it was a cold, windy, and blustery day at the Bank and the Jags won. Isn't it great!!!!!
(01-07-2018, 05:29 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]I think after seeing the first several bad passes by Bortles, Hack Job flipped his play calling sheet over to the run only playlist, and forbade Bortles from throwing again.

Right on point.

(01-07-2018, 05:29 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]I think after seeing the first several bad passes by Bortles, Hack Job flipped his play calling sheet over to the run only playlist, and forbade Bortles from throwing again.

Right on point.

Right on point.
(01-07-2018, 05:42 PM)DragonFury Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-07-2018, 05:37 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]The Jaguars had absolutely no business winning that game.

Neither did the Bills though.
It was clearly the lesser of 2 evils today.
Good thing is I can see Hackett going conservative because of the opponents run defense and our defense. That's not the case next weekend, if Hacketts play calling is suspect again their should be consequences. I get Bortles is no Tom Brady, but quit putting him in these obvious short screens/run, run , pass situations.
Whatever rhythm the Jags had on offense is no doubt gone now after the last 3 weeks. The first half playcalling today was rediculously conservative even for Hackett. Blake is at his best when he can move around including run option plays and they just didn’t do that at all in the first half. We clearly cannot run the ball with any real emphasis with Fournette, so hopefully we can do something different against the Steelers.
Pages: 1 2 3