Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Message to the Coaching Staff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
You cannot run the ball into an 8 or 9 man front.  You must throw the ball in that situation and back them out of there. 

These are playoff teams.  You can't say, "We're going to run the ball anyway."  Running the ball into an 8 or 9 man front results in 2nd and 12 or 2nd and 14.   Do yourself a favor, and throw the ball on first down, especially when the defense lines up to stop the run. 

As the season goes on, I see more and more linebackers shooting the gaps and fubar-ing the running game.  They're not hesitating.   They're not reading the play.   They are selling out to stop the run, and you cannot make running yardage against that kind of defense. 

THROW THE BALL!
And it can't be a screen either, the ball has to fly behind the linebackers.
+1 to all this.

When we came out at halftime, the first play was play action over the linebackers to Westbrook. MORE OF THIS!
I didn't like it yesterday either. But, I think the coaches pretty much knew what they were doing.

Bill Cowher said that, in his mind, the Jax coaches knew that they were a much better team "man to man" up and down the roster than Buffalo. They basically knew that a mistake free football game would be enough to let the defense do it's job and get out of there with a win.
I think he's probably right.

That's exactly what happened. The defense shut down Buffalo, and the offense only needed one good drive (and some key 1st down runs by BB which ate clock too). No turnovers by the offense/special teams = defeating the Bills.

He also said that the same thing will NOT hold true in Pitt. Jax is gonna have to score 17-24 points to win that one, so the gameplan will have to be different.

I agree there too.
Why would the coaching staff listen to Jags fans? The coaching staff is winning. Coughlin and Marrone aren't flashy ESPN watching dimwits. They don't care if they score 40 points or 7 points and win.
The Steelers aren't going to turn it over 5 times again where 2 lead directly to touchdowns. I'm not saying they'll go off but they won't be giving us easy points on defense again. We have to find a way to score points. Offense seems complacent to just keep doing underneath screens and runs up the middle even when it never works. I just look to the Texans, Colts, Ravens, Bengals, Seahawks, even Steelers game and ask where these guys are.
(01-08-2018, 09:25 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: [ -> ]Why would the coaching staff listen to Jags fans? The coaching staff is winning. Coughlin and Marrone aren't flashy ESPN watching dimwits. They don't care if they score 40 points or 7 points and win.
If the offense plays like they did Sunday against Pitt, you really think they will win?

No one cares how they win but just that they win. It’s also not hard to see that the offense needs to be better in order to beat a better team.
They'll open it up more this weekend against the Steelers. I am sure of it. But Bortles has to execute on the passing plays. I don't care if it's a screen pass, a 5 yard out, a 5 yard comeback or a quick pass out into the flats. He has to show Hackett and Marrone that they can progressively work their way up the play calling sheet with little to no concern of him missing out on something huge.

He regressed during the last two games. That's a fact. He played his worst football on the year in SF and TEN before this wildcard game yesterday. And he STILL looked off yesterday. Let's not forget he had two INT's dropped. We got lucky more times than not on three plays. Those two dropped INT's and then the fumble he managed to scoop up and scoot down for a first down with his legs.

Eventually his luck is going to run out on him and therefore the team. But I agree. We can't keep running the ball up into a wall every time we want to run it. They did one run yesterday where they pitched it to Fournette and it caught the defense sleeping. They need to do that again or more often. And the rotation is dwindled down as well. They need to get Ivory, Yeldon and Grant more involved and they need to work the tight end back into the passing game some more.
(01-08-2018, 09:25 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: [ -> ]Why would the coaching staff listen to Jags fans? The coaching staff is winning. Coughlin and Marrone aren't flashy ESPN watching dimwits. They don't care if they score 40 points or 7 points and win.

Hey.  I don't actually think the coaching staff is going to take advice from a message board.   This is the virtual world we are living in here.   Not reality.  

I'm just saying, I don't think we can run into 8 and 9 man fronts.  We have to back them out by throwing it over them if they line up that way, because it's getting worse and worse.  The linebackers are shooting the gaps on the snap of the ball, no hesitation at all.   They're not respecting the pass at all.
K
(01-08-2018, 09:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]

Hey.  I don't actually think the coaching staff is going to take advice from a message board.   This is the virtual world we are living in here.   Not reality.  

I'm just saying, I don't think we can run into 8 and 9 man fronts.  We have to back them out by throwing it over them if they line up that way, because it's getting worse and worse.  The linebackers are shooting the gaps on the snap of the ball, no hesitation at all.   They're not respecting the pass at all.
And they shouldn’t and won’t respect the pass as long as we have an indisputably very poor passer at qb. It’s even worse on a day with any wind, which doesn’t mix well with a flutter ball lob thrower, who knows he throws those, and the added negative confidence impact. Gamer-yes, tough-yes, athlete-yes, good passer-no, good D reader-no. That equals sell out against the run, always.
just can't miss on easy to convert pitch and catch plays that can extend drives. First Hurns and then Bohanon was wide open coming out of the backfield and Blake missed high.
Hackett needs to find a better way to utilize Bortles strengths in his final 3 games as a Jaguar.
(01-08-2018, 08:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]+1 to all this.

When we came out at halftime, the first play was play action over the linebackers to Westbrook. MORE OF THIS!

Especially this weekend. The Steelers line backers are a weak spot now with Shazier out (get well soon man).
While the play calling sucked, I think it was more of relying on a superior defense and keeping mistakes from happening. We’ll see a wide open play sheet against the steelers.
To be fair, a point that they aren’t talking about because it doesn’t fit the narrative is the wind. It was legit like 18 mph winds on the feild. That had to drastically change the game plan and may explain a lot of the off throws.
(01-08-2018, 10:56 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, a point that they aren’t talking about because it doesn’t fit the narrative is the wind. It was legit like 18 mph winds on the feild. That had to drastically change the game plan and may explain a lot of the off throws.

And next week will be the same thing with 15 degree temps.
Is anyone else sick of hearing "GREEN 80" before every snap. The Jags have been using it forever. It is getting old.
(01-08-2018, 11:04 AM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]Is anyone else sick of hearing "GREEN 80" before every snap. The Jags have been using it forever. It is getting old.

O-ma-haaaaa!
(01-08-2018, 11:03 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2018, 10:56 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, a point that they aren’t talking about because it doesn’t fit the narrative is the wind. It was legit like 18 mph winds on the feild. That had to drastically change the game plan and may explain a lot of the off throws.

And next week will be the same thing with 15 degree temps.

Hopefully 4-6 mph. But hey we are built for cold weather games.
(01-08-2018, 09:33 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
If the offense plays like they did Sunday against Pitt, you really think they will win?

No one cares how they win but just that they win. It’s also not hard to see that the offense needs to be better in order to beat a better team.

No. Pittsburgh is a different game plan than Bills. Why would you compare the two? You think NFL coaching staffs have the same game plan 2 weeks in a row? Message board fans are hilarious.
Pages: 1 2 3