Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So, how often has a team done this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Won as many game in a year as they did in the previous three years combined.

Because I'm seeing lots of negativity around because we won the Bills game without a blowout victory, and because we will, apparently, inevitably lose the Steelers game. And I'm thinking actually this team has improved more quickly than most teams in the history of the game.
I don't imagine it's very common, and I feel pretty confident the team will compete well in pittsburgh, personally.

A few things to fix up on offense, a bit less work to do on ST, and the defense just needs to hold steady in their level of play and they're good.
I would think what we did this year has to be up there. Go from 3-13 to division champs and won a playoff game. I think the hate comes from people not wanting to let go of the punchline jaguars. It’s okay. Many people don’t even know we blew them out earlier this year. Just enjoy the t am and ride the wave
What confuses me is that the hate and contempt comes in such large part from fans of the team. At this point what this team has achieved this year is incredible. Even if they hadn't won the division, even if they hadn't made the playoffs, going from the last few years to, say, 9-7 would have been a huge improvement. Every extra win at this point just makes it more incredible. When Bortles announces that he's off to Disneyland it will be still sweeter. Smile
well if the bownies win what 5 games next year it will happen again lol
(01-08-2018, 05:34 PM)iapetus Wrote: [ -> ]What confuses me is that the hate and contempt comes in such large part from fans of the team. At this point what this team has achieved this year is incredible. Even if they hadn't won the division, even if they hadn't made the playoffs, going from the last few years to, say, 9-7 would have been a huge improvement. Every extra win at this point just makes it more incredible. When Bortles announces that he's off to Disneyland it will be still sweeter. Smile

He’d fit in on that Mickey Mouse team quite well.
(01-08-2018, 05:17 PM)iapetus Wrote: [ -> ]Won as many game in a year as they did in the previous three years combined.

Because I'm seeing lots of negativity around because we won the Bills game without a blowout victory, and because we will, apparently, inevitably lose the Steelers game. And I'm thinking actually this team has improved more quickly than most teams in the history of the game.

There are a few teams that leap to mind.

The 1981 49ers finished 13-3, which followed a 6-10 record in 1980, and back to back 2-14 seasons the years before.

In 1991, Dallas finished 11-5, after finishing 7-9 in 1990, 1-15 in 1989, and 3-13 in 1988.

The 1979 Bucs finished 10-6 after finishing their inaugural year 0-14, the next year 2-12, and 5-11 in 1978.  (Note, 1978 was the year the schedule went from 14 games to 16).
That is doing some homework Bullseye.
Worst to first in a division happens pretty much yearly.

Bullseye pointed out a few winning 3 seasons in 1, but I'm sure that's a lot more rare
Overall, I'm very pleased with this season for the Jags.

If they can get a decent QB, the sky is truly the limit for this franchise.

I think we all know that this QB isn't currently on the roster.
(01-08-2018, 06:43 PM)no 1 jag fan in Columbus Wrote: [ -> ]That is doing some homework Bullseye.

Kinda sorta.

I just remembered enough to have an idea where to start looking, but it didn't take too long to get the numbers.

Not much work at all.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt though.
GB is factually, statistically one of the worst head coaches in the NFL of all-time.

There is a lot of hope for this team this coming weekend and seasons to come because we have a professional coaching staff in place now. They still have some maturing to do but things are looking good.
(01-08-2018, 06:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2018, 05:17 PM)iapetus Wrote: [ -> ]Won as many game in a year as they did in the previous three years combined.

There are a few teams that leap to mind.

The 1981 49ers finished 13-3, which followed a 6-10 record in 1980, and back to back 2-14 seasons the years before.

In 1991, Dallas finished 11-5, after finishing 7-9 in 1990, 1-15 in 1989, and 3-13 in 1988.

The 1979 Bucs finished 10-6 after finishing their inaugural year 0-14, the next year 2-12, and 5-11 in 1978.  (Note, 1978 was the year the schedule went from 14 games to 16).
Good post man.  Out of curiosity, is that purely from memory or did you look it up?  Like maybe check each teams record each year over the last thirty years?  Either way great post, but if that’s purely from memory then further props.
(01-09-2018, 10:59 AM)RedRooster28 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-08-2018, 06:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few teams that leap to mind.

Good post man.  Out of curiosity, is that purely from memory or did you look it up?  Like maybe check each teams record each year over the last thirty years?  Either way great post, but if that’s purely from memory then further props.
Thanks.

It was partially from memory, but I needed to look up the records in the cases of Tampa and SF.

Being a Dallas fan at that time, it wasn't hard to remember the records and do the math at that time to see if they met that criteria.

I also remembered San Francisco's ascent in 1981 from being a dismal team the years prior.  I had to research their records for the actual numbers.

It was harder for me to remember Tampa, but eventually they popped into mind.

The key was remembering a losing team that jumped into a winner in a particular year, then checking the years before to see if they met the conditions. Dallas was my team, so I remembered their depths and ascent. SF was a power that knocked off my Cowboys, so their ascent was familiar to me. As I typed this, I remembered Detroit fits this criteria too. They had the winless season in 2008, won 2 in 2009, won 6 in 2010, and then ten in 2011.

There may have been others I missed and was too lazy to research, but as to the OPs point, I don't think many have done that, and that speaks volumes about our Jaguars, not only in regards to how low we were, but how far we've progressed.

I, for one, am very proud of my Jaguars, and it's a good time to be a Jaguars fan (and actually a Bills fan, believe it or not).
(01-08-2018, 05:34 PM)iapetus Wrote: [ -> ]What confuses me is that the hate and contempt comes in such large part from fans of the team. At this point what this team has achieved this year is incredible. Even if they hadn't won the division, even if they hadn't made the playoffs, going from the last few years to, say, 9-7 would have been a huge improvement. Every extra win at this point just makes it more incredible. When Bortles announces that he's off to Disneyland it will be still sweeter. Smile

Perhaps my encounters have been limited, but since the team went on the winning seven of eight starting with the first Indy game, I haven't heard too much hate and contempt from Jaguars fans.

What did you see/hear?

I will say that even if we lose to the hated Steelers, I'm thrilled with how this team has progressed, and more thrilled with this team's future prospects.

Agree completely. We should be celebrating the success this team has had this season, but there are always going to be naysayers, even from our fans. Those of us who’ve stuck it out through the tough times are happy with the current trajectory, especially since we are one of eight teams still playing.
On another note, if Doug Marrone wins the Divisional and Championship playoff games (14 wins total), he will have matched Gus Bradley's total wins here in Jacksonville and only requiring 21 to Gus Bradley's 62 games.

And if Doug Marrone were to make it to the Super Bowl and win it this year, He'd have matched Gus Bradley's total wins across 4 seasons in merely a single season.
(01-09-2018, 01:07 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]

Agree completely. We should be celebrating the success this team has had this season, but there are always going to be naysayers, even from our fans. Those of us who’ve stuck it out through the tough times are happy with the current trajectory, especially since we are one of eight teams still playing.
I don't disagree with what you're saying but expectations can change during the course of a season.

It would have put a very sour note on the season had the Jags lost this past Sunday to the Bills. It appears they are playing with house money now when they play the Steelers but last weekend was different.

Once the season is over (whenever that may be) most people will look back at this season as a huge success and one we can hopefully build on.
I for one am thrilled with how the season has gone. Sure I’ve been disappointed at times. Like the jets and 49ers games. But 10-6 is a phenomenal feat after last year. Add a home playoff victory, I’m ecstatic. I’m not expecting a win Sunday. They have a tall order ahead of them. I think they can do it. I just am not sure they will. If they lose, I won’t be surprised or hurt. I think the fans that criticize for not doing better are thinking about the could of, would of, should of factor. Blake played great in London and the first few weeks in December. Had he played near that level all year where would the team be? Or if someone else was under center, would or could it be our year? And I certainly get it and understand. But the fact that that can even be a topic speaks volumes as to where this team is and what they can be in years to come. Sure, I see analysts talking about Blake. But the Jags are no longer the laughing stock despite Blake being a punchline at times. The fans needed this. The team needed this.

Ps. This year was the first in a long while I watched a game confidently knowing that the Jags had the ability to beat whoever we played that week. Well, after week 5.
It happens from time to time. I mean the Rams did it this year too. Eagles and Panthers were both trash last year too and they made the playoffs.

Our offensive issues hold us back from being a great team but our defense makes us a threat to great teams and sometimes that is all you really need to win a superbowl. I'm glad the national media is sleeping on us this week. There is a long tradition of being playoff underdogs in Jax. Football is an emotional game. I know our players have no problem getting motivated to play a playoff game in Pitt but you know there is a little something extra when you feel disrespected. I wish woody paige could call us "jag-wads" again.
Pages: 1 2