Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What happened to Fournette?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
He hasn't averaged more than 4 yards per carry in a game since week 6. He clearly isn't running with the same pop and speed he was earlier in the year. Is he hurt or bust?

If he can't get it going against Pittsburgh we lose.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
He got hurt.
He's been playing hurt most of the season. That's why he was missing every other game for a month.
Ankle, plus the NFL season is loooooonnnnngggg for rookies. Between his college year, combine training, rookie camps, etc. He's essentially been playing for a year straight.
I guess the NFL is not so easy after all.
Dude needs the offseason badly. Actually get healed and regroup for next year... hopefully with a better offensive line and QB perhaps. He's been smashed and abused all year. Started off hot but you can tell the second half was asking too much and now with playoffs its got to feel never ending.
(01-10-2018, 08:57 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]He got hurt.

I swear this is probably the fifth thread like this - in which this simple answer sums it up.  ^

A little late to the party mvp.

edit: I counted - There are ten threads since mid-October on Fournette's ankle.
- He's hurt.
- The rookie wall is real. Not used to seasons this long
- Line played above and beyond its capabilities early in the year, back down to earth now. It's meh now in the run game.
- 8 men boxes
- He's not a create yards from nothing kind of guy.

When you put all of those things together it's not too surprising he's playing how he is right now.
(01-10-2018, 09:20 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]Dude needs the offseason badly. Actually get healed and regroup for next year... hopefully with a better offensive line and QB perhaps. He's been smashed and abused all year. Started off hot but you can tell the second half was asking too much and now with playoffs its got to feel never ending.

I think time to heal and an offseason in the conditioning program will go a long way toward fixing what ails Fournette.  In the meantime, we need him to suck it up and play like this is the last game of the season.
I wouldn't mind yeldon or grant leading the run game this week. We've won without Fournette. Give him the week off and look forward to the afc championship.
(01-10-2018, 11:14 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2018, 09:20 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]Dude needs the offseason badly. Actually get healed and regroup for next year... hopefully with a better offensive line and QB perhaps. He's been smashed and abused all year. Started off hot but you can tell the second half was asking too much and now with playoffs its got to feel never ending.

I think time to heal and an offseason in the conditioning program will go a long way toward fixing what ails Fournette.  In the meantime, we need him to suck it up and play like this is the last game of the season.

Exactly.
I havent seen him limp 1 single time in the last few weeks, and he hasnt been on the injury report

not sure the "hes hurt" thing is true at all

He has the speed, but what I see is a line that is not blocking very well, on top of teams playing the run with 8 every time, added to the fact that we are also just rushing him right into the middle of it. Until this QB makes teams scared of play action, there wont be much room for him to run unfortunately.

It is key that blake keeps using his legs so that teams cant stay in man coverage vs us which takes away the fournette screen pass as well
I think a lot of it is that we have been playing revisionist history with how good he was early in the season too. He ran to the unimpressive tune of 3.8, 2.9, 3.5, and 3.6 yards in the first four games and was at an also unimpressive 27 carries for 91 yards (3.3 YPC) before the garbage time 90 yard TD run against the Steelers.
The game plan and how they call the game is a factor as well. Hey lets put our top draft pick in the most obvious run situations possible and see what happens.
(01-10-2018, 12:19 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I think a lot of it is that we have been playing revisionist history with how good he was early in the season too. He ran to the unimpressive tune of 3.8, 2.9, 3.5, and 3.6 yards in the first four games and was at an also unimpressive 27 carries for 91 yards (3.3 YPC) before the garbage time 90 yard TD run against the Steelers.

So, it doesn't count because in your opinion it was 'garbage time'?
If he’s truly hurt, maybe start Grant and Yeldon this weekend? They’ve been effective in games without Fournette. Am I insane for even suggesting this?
He hit the rookie wall, guys. He's been running into 8 man boxes all year. When we have a QB who can threaten guys through the air, he'll blow up. See what happened with Gurley when Goff became competent?
(01-10-2018, 12:29 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2018, 12:19 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]I think a lot of it is that we have been playing revisionist history with how good he was early in the season too. He ran to the unimpressive tune of 3.8, 2.9, 3.5, and 3.6 yards in the first four games and was at an also unimpressive 27 carries for 91 yards (3.3 YPC) before the garbage time 90 yard TD run against the Steelers.

So, it doesn't count because in your opinion it was 'garbage time'?

No, no it definitely counts. But I think he's just trying to add perspective.

I personally think Fournette was a special talent coming out of College. And a 1,000 yard season for his Rookie year where he missed several games and ran up against 8 man fronts half the season is impressive on its own. I think a lot of Fournette's woes lie on the predictable play calling, similar to how Gurley got bottled up last season but drastically improved with the play of Goff this year. Improve the line, improve the QB, and Fournette is going to blow up.
(01-10-2018, 11:16 AM)Preach Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't mind yeldon or grant leading the run game this week. We've won without Fournette. Give him the week off and look forward to the afc championship.

He can get a bye week the week before the Super Bowl. There is no tomorrow. We need him today.

Ypc remains one of the most overrated stats we still use to determine performance.
Pages: 1 2 3