Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Marcell Dareus: Jaguars organization 'changed my life'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's exactly what you want to hear out of a guy that's had previous off the field problems.
(01-10-2018, 10:12 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]It's exactly what you want to hear out of a guy that's had previous off the field problems.

I am holding up this article against what Bills fans assured us was the intractable reality for Dareus, and I see two entirely different pictures.

They painted a picture of a guy who didn't care, was only about the money, lazy, not putting forth the effort, etc.

This article paints the picture of a guy who isn't entitled, who wants to win and do what is necessary to earn the respect of his teammates.

Is it possible that both pictures, at the time they were painted, were true?  Sure.

Is it possible that the trade was a shock to Dareus and jolted him into motivated and good citizenship?  Absolutely.

Is it possible once the season is over Dareus reverts to the behavior that gave him problems?  Yep.

But somehow I don't think he was quite the bad guy Bills fans painted him out to be.
Marcell Dareus: Jaguars organization 'changed my life'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ed-my-life

Marcell Dareus' revenge tale became complete with last weekend's win over his former team. But for the defensive tackle, it's just the beginning of his brightest time in his career -- and he couldn't be
Mods: Please merge with "From Today's T-U" thread.
(01-10-2018, 10:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Mods:  Please merge with "From Today's T-U" thread.

Since you said please...   Wink

Both are good articles.
Love it. It sounds like the trade probably humbled him a bit, and forced him to refocus himself. This might have been the best possible place for him to land as a player. While he considers himself an outsider, he has definitely been embraced by the team and has established himself as a much needed addition to a really good defense.
(01-10-2018, 11:09 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Love it.  It sounds like the trade probably humbled him a bit, and forced him to refocus himself.  This might have been the best possible place for him to land as a player.  While he considers himself an outsider, he has definitely been embraced by the team and has established himself as a much needed addition to a really good defense.

I think this is where adding guys like Campbell and Church help.

With their accomplishments in the league, these are players that can be an influence on younger players and guys like Dareus.  These guys garner respect, and it wouldn't surprise me if Campbell has been a mentor of sorts to him, too.

I think without a guy like Campbell, the trade for Dareus doesn't happen.

However, after this year, with a locker room full of veterans who now have an idea of how to win, trades of this nature are more likely, assuming there is an opening.
(01-10-2018, 11:15 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2018, 11:09 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Love it.  It sounds like the trade probably humbled him a bit, and forced him to refocus himself.  This might have been the best possible place for him to land as a player.  While he considers himself an outsider, he has definitely been embraced by the team and has established himself as a much needed addition to a really good defense.

I think this is where adding guys like Campbell and Church help.

With their accomplishments in the league, these are players that can be an influence on younger players and guys like Dareus.  These guys garner respect, and it wouldn't surprise me if Campbell has been a mentor of sorts to him, too.

However, after this year, with a locker room full of veterans who now have an idea of how to win, trades of this nature are more likely, assuming there is an opening.

Completely agree.  I think the Campbell signing in particular has the potential to be the best free agent acquisition in franchise history.  Not just for what he brings on the field, but also in the locker room and around the community.  

You can see Campbell working the sidelines talking to guys, encouraging them, getting them fired up.  I think his influence directly correlates to the success this team has enjoyed this year.
(01-10-2018, 11:20 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2018, 11:15 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is where adding guys like Campbell and Church help.

Completely agree.  I think the Campbell signing in particular has the potential to be the best free agent acquisition in franchise history.  Not just for what he brings on the field, but also in the locker room and around the community.  

You can see Campbell working the sidelines talking to guys, encouraging them, getting them fired up.  I think his influence directly correlates to the success this team has enjoyed this year.

Just to expound on this a bit - I believe he embodies a message that has been ingrained in this young roster since camp. 

You see coaches like Marrone, Flaherty, Hobby, McCardell teaching this lesson, and players like Campbell, Bouye, Telvin, A-Rob, Church, Poz etc. teaching it by example.  And that message/lesson is "hard work pays off." 

Add in that accountability that Campbell and others talk about and you've got a young ascending team with a great group of vets mixed in that are working hard not to let one another down.  It's a pretty good recipe for success when there's enough talent in place.
Dareus went from entitled top 3 draft pick expected to be the best player on the team to a role player surrounded by equal or better talent. I'm glad he seems to have taken to the necessary attitude adjustment.