Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: SkeeterRob
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I was checking out the Members list and it defaulted to the posters who have been here the longest and he was at the top.  Had forgot about that dude.  He hasnt posted in years.  Whatever happened to him?  He used to do a good, bad, and ugly after every game.  And in the early days of the message board, was probably one of the most frequent posters.  He still here and just changed names?
I don't know about SkeeterRob and many of the other kids can name names better than me but I came in 2004 and there were the likes of Skeeter, MadHatter, Boop (passed away last year I believe), Pixeldust, Tannerfox, Jags&Dawgs, Dav, Jagsmac, Arrowman, and many others who posted often.

I always got the sense that there was a core group, all mostly friends, who had been around since the board started and then kind of drifted away as the number of members grew. Then there was the Arkansas invasion, led by Arkansan, after Matt Jones was drafted (Jonesy was one of them) and then an influx of "kids" who have grown up to become good posters or have disappeared.

Through it all was FBT, the straw that stirred the drink, the Reggie Jackson of his time, our entrant to the Mount Rushmore (along with Dakota who did more than most know to hold this together) of Mods.
There was once this guy... Lots of great insight.... I think his name was TMD.

Wonder what happened to that guy......
(01-11-2018, 02:33 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about SkeeterRob and many of the other kids can name names better than me but I came in 2004 and there were the likes of Skeeter, MadHatter, Boop (passed away last year I believe), Pixeldust, Tannerfox, Jags&Dawgs, Dav, Jagsmac, Arrowman, and many others who posted often.

I always got the sense that there was a core group, all mostly friends, who had been around since the board started and then kind of drifted away as the number of members grew. Then there was the Arkansas invasion, led by Arkansan, after Matt Jones was drafted (Jonesy was one of them) and then an influx of "kids" who have grown up to become good posters or have disappeared.

Through it all was FBT, the straw that stirred the drink, the Reggie Jackson of his time, our entrant to the Mount Rushmore (along with Dakota who did more than most know to hold this together) of Mods.

I don't remember my original sign up date, maybe 2005-2006, it was shortly after I moved back to Jacksonville after my ex retired from the Army which was 2004. I remember every single name and person you mentioned. I remember going to tailgates and minicamps and such. Madhatter was a cool dude and me and my dad used to sit next to Arrowman at the games. Jags&Dawgs was fun to read even if I didn't always agree with him. JIB remembers meeting me at a Jags function at a restaurant (with the group that shall not be named.) I remember that day and vaguely remember sitting with him and his wife and chatting. 

Man....those are some long ago memories but good ones.
Rob also used to organize send-off events for the team for away games. I had heard at one point that he decided to ease up and be a more casual fan. Not sure what he's doing now. I wonder if he's part of the same tailgating group. That group included Charlie, the guy you see on TV every game with the Jags head hat and face paint. No sure if Andrea (OrmondBeachFan) still posts here. She may know what he's up to.
OBF pops on every now and then.
Skeeter moved to Green Cove and pretty much swore off the board and most things Jags related years ago. Keep in mind that he was the first hall of fame fan back in the day. Visa had a contest, and he actually won it, giving him some sort of reference in Canton.

There have been a lot of stalwarts who have come and gone over the years. Some because they passed away (dav, Fargin, Boop), or they got too busy (JagsAmore, Jagrams) or they just got tired of the board (Shag, JagsMac). But they definitely laid the foundation for this community as it migrated from one platform to the next.

JagMania, who owned the Jagsmania stores in town for years wound up closing the stores and moving to St. Pete. He officially gave up on the NFL in general this season, just as his team turned a corner.
I knew SkeeterRob way back in the early days. I think we were both posting on the old AOL message boards. This was back in 1995. I was Martydajag. I missed one game, and he met me and gave me a VHS tape of it. In the AFC Championship game against the Titans, we sat together in the South end zone. He had made these little megaphones by cutting the bottom out of some plastic drink cups and running a string through them so you could hang them around your neck.

He was a real superfan, and a good guy. Very generous.
(01-11-2018, 02:33 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about SkeeterRob and many of the other kids can name names better than me but I came in 2004 and there were the likes of Skeeter, MadHatter, Boop (passed away last year I believe), Pixeldust, Tannerfox, Jags&Dawgs, Dav, Jagsmac, Arrowman, and many others who posted often.

Thank you. I don't know if it's a strength or weakness, but I'm known to be fiercely loyal.
(01-11-2018, 03:38 PM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]Skeeter moved to Green Cove and pretty much swore off the board and most things Jags related years ago.  Keep in mind that he was the first hall of fame fan back in the day. Visa had a contest, and he actually won it, giving him some sort of reference in Canton.  

There have been a lot of stalwarts who have come and gone over the years. Some because they passed away (dav, Fargin, Boop), or they got too busy (JagsAmore, Jagrams) or they just got tired of the board (Shag, JagsMac).  But they definitely laid the foundation for this community as it migrated from one platform to the next.

JagMania, who owned the Jagsmania stores in town for years wound up closing the stores and moving to St. Pete.  He officially gave up on the NFL in general this season, just as his team turned a corner.

Although I don't post a whole lot, I too joined this board in 04-05. 

I remember Fargin and his passing but I do not recall Boop.

I did not know that Dav passed away. I am saddened to hear of this. 

Dav appeared in every to be a good man.
Arkansan was a character, lived in the town in Arkansas where the University is- is it Fayetteville? One time, he posted an invitation on the board to any of us passing through his area to come stay with him. Well, as luck would have it, my friend and I were driving from NE to Jax by way of Cincinnati, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, etc. to catch some baseball that June and it wasn't a stretch to get to that corner of Arkansas.

He welcomed us with open arms and was a magnanimous host. He is a lawyer and we got one great story after another from him as we drove around town and through the University campus. He told us that he was going on an unplanned trip to Scotland the next day and would be leaving about 4 AM. Showed us the coffee pot, gave me a key and said his brother or friend would be over to close up the house later in the day...or we could stay as long as we like.

Who does that? Very cool. I reciprocated that Fall for a Jags game- he flew to Jax, rented a car and came to St. Augustine for about 5-6 days. We had a great time all weekend, at the game and for a couple days after and I haven't seen him since.
Jagrams was someone else I recall, dunno what happened to her. I remember some of the folks who used to post on the usenet group migrated over here (now I'm going way back). I think the names Andreas and Cman were a couple that came over from there once the Jaguars mb got going and I *think* SkeeterRob might have been over there too. It's been a long time though so maybe misremembering.
So much history!
(01-12-2018, 10:11 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]So much history!

The stories they can tell. The stories they can’t tell.
I hope Skeeter found his way back to becoming a Jaguar fan again. He would be loving this season.
(01-12-2018, 10:11 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]So much history!

No kidding!  I'm impressed by yall's memory.  I had forgotten a lot of those people.  I'm probably not the longest running member, but I think my username name is now the oldest in use so I've been around the block or two.  Looks like I signed up in Oct 2000.  And SkeeterRob had me beat by a few weeks.

I remember back in the 90s there were a few of us who started off on the ESPN boards.  Me, ibjagged, the village idiot(maybe?), a few others... and it was rough over there.  Not many jags fans but a lot of opponents coming to talk trash.  Obviously we were good in the 90s which made it easier but the Tacks fans were especially brutal.  Think most of us migrated over here eventually when the jags site created their message board.  Don't see many of those people anymore.  ibjagged pops up every so often.  not sure if village idiot is around anymore or if he changed names.
Anybody remember TFG from the TU Jaguars board?
(01-12-2018, 01:53 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]Anybody remember TFG from the TU Jaguars board?

The Football Genius. I knew him personally, met him in Nashville.
FloridaKittyCat was another regular here for many years, many will remember her for posting the birthday thread for a long time.

Well, one time she mentioned that she was going to visit her grandmother in New England and wondered on the board where she was going to watch that Sunday' Jags game. Naturally, I jumped in and found out that she was going to be in Southern New Hampshire, IIRC, and had to visit another family member near Salem, Mass.

Well, Salem is where I watch Jaguars game and we suggested she come there. To her credit, she found the place and wandered in- since I had the only Jaguar jersey in NE at the time, she found us easily. A few beers and a million chicken wings later...we were friends for life.

I think FKC got married and I've lost track of her, she was a great board member and contributed a lot.
I used to work with FKC...she was great.

Also worked with DAV Sad RIP
Pages: 1 2 3 4