Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How to beat the Steelers (Again) - Article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ello ello all. 

Messed around and ended up writing a big preview for the Jaguars-Steelers game on Sunday. 
https://jackjaguars.wordpress.com/2018/0...ers-again/

Give it a gawk and let me know what you think. All feedback welcome.
messed around and got a triple double
I hope you're right!
Very impressive! The gifs worked really well to exhibit what you were writing about
(01-12-2018, 09:37 PM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]messed around and got a triple double

I'll take a double double.
Bottom line upfront: Jaguars need to hold the Steelers to 10 points or less. They are 2-6 when allowing an opponent to score 10 or more points, with those victories coming at home against the Chargers & Seahawks. The Jaguars defense ranked 30th against the run on first down and 24th on second down. They are also 29th against the run in the red zone. However, I predict the Steelers will continue to line up in 3 and 4 WR formations and attempt to pass. This plays right into the Jaguars hands. The optimal match-up for the Steelers would be Bell, a tight end or crossing WR being covered by Posluszny. Pressure up the middle forcing tipped balls like in the first meeting will be essential. The Steelers like to use a lot of bunch formations and sideways passes. The DBs need to avoid being rubbed, identify the receiver, fight through the trash and make the tackle. I foresee Ramsey jumping one of these routes and taking an INT to the house. I also suggest Hackett try to get Bortles into a rhythm early. Several times this season the Jaguars came out throwing, and it was pretty successful: Week 4 at the Jets – 4-of-5 for 42 yards (TD) on first drive. Week 7 at Indianapolis – 4-of-5 for 41 yards on first drive. Week 13 vs. Seattle – 2-of-3 for nine yards, 2-of-4 for 26 yards and 4-of-4 for 30 yards on first three drives. And Week 15 vs. Houston – 5-of-6 for 48 yards on first drive.
Look we're a better team than them plain and simple. There is no iffs ands or buts about it. They're banged up and have a QB looking to retire. We have to be the next team in line for success. These croakers in the AFC that have been the staple for 15+ years have to be dethroned eventually. This is the team of destiny.
(01-13-2018, 09:33 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]Look we're a better team than them plain and simple. There is no iffs ands or buts about it. They're banged up and have a QB looking to retire. We have to be the next team in line for success. These croakers in the AFC that have been the staple for 15+ years have to be dethroned eventually. This is the team of destiny.

I really like your optimism, and I very much agree. 

Also- it's time for the Jaguars to be the team at the top of the AFC. No more of this namby pamby crap.
(01-13-2018, 09:33 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]Look we're a better team than them plain and simple. There is no iffs ands or buts about it. They're banged up and have a QB looking to retire. We have to be the next team in line for success. These croakers in the AFC that have been the staple for 15+ years have to be dethroned eventually. This is the team of destiny.

Not sure what that analysis is based on. The Steelers are mostly healthy, and Roethlisberger said this week that this won't be his last game at Heinz Field. The Jaguars don't play particularly well on the road, they run a "hide the quarterback" offense, their primary running back has seemingly hit the rookie wall, and their facing the league's best running back. The team doesn't play well in cold weather and the Steelers usually win at home in the Divisional Round. There are reasons for optimism, but declaring the Jaguars a better team as if the game is going to be a cakewalk is a little short sighted. The head coach agrees with me.

“When you look at Pittsburgh’s roster, it’s probably the most talented roster that we play, with the weapons they have,” said Jacksonville head coach Doug Marrone. “They can hurt you in so many different ways. It’s going to be a great challenge, not just in the back end, but up front. They have the most Pro Bowl players and there is a reason for it. There are a lot of good football players. It’s going to be a challenge for our guys.”
(01-13-2018, 03:37 AM)Warthog Wrote: [ -> ]Bottom line upfront: Jaguars need to hold the Steelers to 10 points or less. They are 2-6 when allowing an opponent to score 10 or more points, with those victories coming at home against the Chargers & Seahawks.  The Jaguars defense ranked 30th against the run on first down and 24th on second down. They are also 29th against the run in the red zone. However, I predict the Steelers will continue to line up in 3 and 4 WR formations and attempt to pass. This plays right into the Jaguars hands. The optimal match-up for the Steelers would be Bell, a tight end or crossing WR being covered by Posluszny. Pressure up the middle forcing tipped balls like in the first meeting will be essential. The Steelers like to use a lot of bunch formations and sideways passes. The DBs need to avoid being rubbed, identify the receiver, fight through the trash and make the tackle. I foresee Ramsey jumping one of these routes and taking an INT to the house. I also suggest Hackett try to get Bortles into a rhythm early. Several times this season the Jaguars came out throwing, and it was pretty successful: Week 4 at the Jets – 4-of-5 for 42 yards (TD) on first drive. Week 7 at Indianapolis – 4-of-5 for 41 yards on first drive. Week 13 vs. Seattle – 2-of-3 for nine yards, 2-of-4 for 26 yards and 4-of-4 for 30 yards on first three drives. And Week 15 vs. Houston – 5-of-6 for 48 yards on first drive.
EWWW GET YOUR BLUF OUTTA HERE THIS IS A SAFE PLACE! lol good writeup though
Good write up Jack.

Good job with the gifs bro
The one thing that has not changed is the Jaguars defense. They are the real deal, these Men are mean and nasty; not to mention hungry. It's good for the Jags that the Steelers and their fans forget this and seem to be taking them lightly. That O line and a slower, less mobile Ben resulted in 5 turnovers and how ever many sacks. Expect the Steelers to try and run the ball often and early.
(01-13-2018, 06:49 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Good write up Jack.

Good job with the gifs bro

Appreciate it good sir.