Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Marrone clearly outcoached Tomlin...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
And how sweet it was to see Marrone keep his cool and male clear headed decisions while Tomlin got the yips and started making all kinds of panicked play calls and botched the clock management at the end.

Far cry from the days, not too long ago, when Gus would be staring out on the field with his hands on his knees wondering what in the world was going on. 

I think it's obvious we have our long term Coach and glad for it.
Marrone will be around a long time
(01-14-2018, 07:36 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]And how sweet it was to see Marrone keep his cool and male clear headed decisions while Tomlin got the yips and started making all kinds of panicked play calls and botched the clock management at the end.

Far cry from the days, not too long ago, when Gus would be staring out on the field with his hands on his knees wondering what in the world was going on. 

Remember all the people who were bemoaning the fact Marrone got the hire and the Jags kept a lot of their staff? It's ironic. I was happy he got the hire if nothing else for the continuity for the players. Marrone is an utterly different kind of coach than his predecessor.
(01-14-2018, 07:36 PM)IndyJagsFan Wrote: [ -> ]And how sweet it was to see Marrone keep his cool and male clear headed decisions while Tomlin got the yips and started making all kinds of panicked play calls and botched the clock management at the end.

Marrone hasn't been perfect but he's been very well prepared all season. Coach of the year in my opinion.
You guys are much more educated about the X's and O's than me. My view is that a coach is doing a good job if I rarely have reason to think about him during a game and he isn't disrupting the natural flow. Tomlin called attention to himself on several occasions by making seeming incongruent decisions that seemed either like kneejerk reactions or thinking too hard. Other than the occasional camera shot of Marrone, I forgot he was even on the sideline.

And hb1148, I remember all the whining and pronouncements of doom when they hired Marrone too. I didn't understand the furor. Anything or anybody was better than Gus and Marrone seemed like the closest thing we could get to Coughlin in terms of attitude and discipline.
This loss is on Tomlin.
Horrific decision-making.
1. 4th & an inch = 4 yard loss
2. 4th & 5 = incomplete
3. Onside K = Jags FG

Thank you, Mike.
Why the hell did the Steelers keep trying to run side to side?

They did it twice in a row at one point.
It was less than a half yard when they threw an incompletion to Juju
Bologna > Baskin-Robbins.
Tomlin botched the onside call.

I was surprised Marrone continued to only rush four and let ben pick us apart.
(01-14-2018, 08:17 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]Tomlin botched the onside call.

I was surprised Marrone continued to only rush four and let ben pick us apart.
I agree with your last point. We didn’t really generate much pressure. Even on the strip sack by Yannick it was the secondary locking them down and making Ben hold onto it longer.
Onside kick was the right call, execution was bad though kicking it only 4 yards down the field, if they kick it 14 or so the Jags wont be in field goal range.
The only mistake was not switching Ramsey to Brown. AJ is definitely a shut down corner but I think we see why Ramsey is 1st team all pro and AJ is second team all pro. Brown didn’t catch anything else once they made the switch late in the game

But that is a very small detail seeing how the game played out
(01-14-2018, 08:46 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]The only mistake was not switching Ramsey to Brown. AJ is definitely a shut down corner but I think we see why Ramsey is 1st team all pro and AJ is second team all pro. Brown didn’t catch anything else once they made the switch late in the game

C'mon now, those catches were of the All-Pro variety. The only thing AJ could've done better, IMO, was wrestle with him more (but that would draw laundry).
Tomlin made some pretty bone head calls in the wildcard game when we played them 10 years ago (and in his whole coaching career really).
Agreed. Tomlin made some really stupid calls out there. The Jags coaches were clearly superior.
(01-14-2018, 09:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2018, 08:46 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]The only mistake was not switching Ramsey to Brown. AJ is definitely a shut down corner but I think we see why Ramsey is 1st team all pro and AJ is second team all pro. Brown didn’t catch anything else once they made the switch late in the game

C'mon now, those catches were of the All-Pro variety. The only thing AJ could've done better, IMO, was wrestle with him more (but that would draw laundry).

No doubt. Those receivers and tight ends made circus catches. I can't believe how covered up they were and still pulled in the ball.  I honestly believe the Steelers oline and receivers (include TE and RB) are better than what the Pats have at this point, but, Brady us an assassin surrounded by referee ninjas.

Pats play the Steelers almost every year, sometimes twice in due to the playoffs. So, I get to see a lot of Steelers games. Trip Tomlin is often out coached. What saves him is the vast talent on his team. He doesn't make adjustments, his squads are often confused in crucial situations, and as you all here know, he and his teams are unfocused will overlook opponents. The Steelers were chirping about a rematch with the Patriots all week long. Bell was tweeting after midnight last night and has been grousing about his contract.

Nice win today.
(01-14-2018, 09:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh no shot at AJ I love him but at some point you gotta say okay let’s ride our horses. They forced that ball to AB the rest of the game. I would have liked to see the outcome if that way Jalen over there
What about the last play of the game?  I don't understand Tomlin kicking it deep.  Granted there was only 1 second left, but why not go for the onside kick and then try a series of laterals to run it back for a score?  Sure, it's desperate, but why not try?  That's a coaching call that made no sense.
Pages: 1 2 3