Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Truth about rebuilds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I just want to say, I hope this season finally makes most of you realize the truth behind rebuilds: it does not take 4 years or more. That is and always has been BS that a lot of you bought in too and defended endlessly over this past decade.  Not just us proving it this year but the rams too.

With the right leaders (coughlin, marrone too) and free agency, you can turn things around in 1 or 2 years.

Once our window closes years down the line, I hope you guys remember that next time and dont accept 3 to 5 wins for 4 years at a time. Real football men at the top can turn things around much quicker
(01-16-2018, 12:03 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to say, I hope this season finally makes most of you realize the truth behind rebuilds: it does not take 4 years or more. That is and always has been BS that a lot of you bought in too and defended endlessly over this past decade.  Not just us proving it this year but the rams too.

With the right leaders (coughlin, marrone too) and free agency, you can turn things around in 1 or 2 years.

Once our window closes years down the line, I hope you guys remember that next time and dont accept 3 to 5 wins for 4 years at a time. Real football men at the top can turn things around much quicker

It sure seems to me like it took 4 years.   I don't know where you get the idea that we turned it around in one year.   It took us 4 years to build this roster.

And as far as what we "accept," I don't even know what that means.   What would I do differently if I decided not to accept it?
(01-16-2018, 12:06 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2018, 12:03 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to say, I hope this season finally makes most of you realize the truth behind rebuilds: it does not take 4 years or more. That is and always has been BS that a lot of you bought in too and defended endlessly over this past decade.  Not just us proving it this year but the rams too.

It sure seems to me like it took 4 years.   I don't know where you get the idea that we turned it around in one year.   It took us 4 years to build this roster.

Really...this roster didn't suddenly just appear.
We won 3 games last year... 3... this team had enough talent last year to win 7 games easily.. many failed FA signings along the way too.

Had we kept gus this year and not added coughlin we would not be a playoff team.. had the rams kept fisher they would not be a playoff team

Not sure how anyone can argue that
(01-16-2018, 12:16 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]We won 3 games last year... 3... this team had enough talent last year to win 7 games easily.. many failed FA signings along the way too.

Had we kept gus this year and not added coughlin we would not be a playoff team.. had the rams kept fisher they would not be a playoff team

That has nothing to do with the premise of this thread.  The majority of the players on this roster have indeed been acquired over the course of this rebuild.  They weren't just acquired in the last year or two.
A better staff wouldve squeezed out a few more wins over the years, but it still would've taken a solid 3 years minimum to get to this point.
I think we have to look at this from two points: the roster and the philosophy. Philosophy can be installed pretty quickly. But that philosophy needs a roster, and roster building takes time.
We put the final pieces in place this past off season. Rebuilds don’t happen overnight.
Many of our top draft picks - Ramsey, Jack, Fournette, Fowler, Robinson, would not have been available to us had we not finished with lousy records.
Funny... didn't realize we acquired Ramsey this year... And Smith, Yannick, Jack, most of the OL, the QB, Gipson, Poz,

wait..... wut?

This is the result of a 4 year rebuild, in its 4th year (if you count from the time the QB was drafted)
Sure the "turn around" happened in 1 season, but a lot of that can be contributed to the team under achieving last season. 3 frickin wins was ridiculous.
We added some blockbuster FAs this year, but lets not forget we acquired a couple the past couple seasons too.

Ideally we should have seen something like 3 wins, 5 wins, 8 wins, 10 wins... instead we got 3, 5, 3, 10... The biggest difference is obviously the coaching staff. The other difference is taking advantage of a weak division/weak schedule that we didn't do last year.
This wasn't a 1 year rebuild though... what a silly statement.
This season should show clearly the rebuild wasn’t the problem. Coaching was.
Win total turnaround no but talent wise yes. Bortles, Lee, Linder, Telvin, Hurns and Abry were acquired in 2014. Yeldon, Fowler, Cann, Parnell were 2015. You get my point.

Wing games can change in a year but the talent that was acquired was over a 4 year period
The turnaround happened this year. The rebuild started with Bortles.
Through this whole 'blow it up and start over' process the Jags basically wasted one season from an acquisition standpoint and stuck with a dud coach one year too long.

Given that those things happened under a green owner and GM - and given the current results -- I find it perfectly acceptable despite how tough the wait was.
It was a four year rebuild.

You acquire and foster talent - and if you choose correctly - you are rewarded.

Now we are being rewarded.
You guys are missing the point. Every team needs to collect talent and that sometimes takes a few years, however coaches can turn things around IMMEDIATELY and a coach that keeps losing with talent should not get 4 years.
(01-16-2018, 01:14 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]You guys are missing the point. Every team needs to collect talent and that sometimes takes a few years, however coaches can turn things around IMMEDIATELY and a coach that keeps losing with talent should not get 4 years.

Collecting talent for a few years is not "immediate."

The jags had a bad coach. 

Now they have a good one. 

There was no clear path to make this happen overnight.
Caldwell deserves a lot of credit.
(01-16-2018, 12:16 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]We won 3 games last year... 3... this team had enough talent last year to win 7 games easily.. many failed FA signings along the way too.

Would this team be where it is without Telvin Smith, Lee, Linder, or...believe it or not, Bortles?

What about Fowler and Ngakoue?  Are they contributors?

Are Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack key parts to the defense?

Do Calais Campbell, Malik Jackson, Leonard Fournette, Cam Robinson, Dede Westbrook, Barry Church and A.J. Bouye add any value to this team?

Guess what?

It took several years to accumulate all of the talent that is winning now.

You also need the right coach. 

Yes, with Marrone as HC, we may have won a few more games last year. 

But to get to where we are right now, we needed years to accumulate the talent and to get the right coach.
(01-16-2018, 01:14 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]You guys are missing the point. Every team needs to collect talent and that sometimes takes a few years, however coaches can turn things around IMMEDIATELY and a coach that keeps losing with talent should not get 4 years.

You've got to be kidding me.  I don't care who the coach was the first couple of years of the rebuild.  Those were bad teams.  Bad.

I still want to know, what does that mean, "...don't accept..."?   What does it mean to not accept it?   What would I do differently?  

I see this all the time.  "I am not going to accept..."   but what does it actually mean?   It's meaningless.   You can say "I accept it..." or you can say, "I don't accept it..."  but what the hell difference does it make?   I don't see where I have any choice but to accept things.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5