Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars Fans ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where would you rank this game in history of the team? Is this the biggest game in team history? Just wondering how you feel and what your thoughts are
biggest this year. lol. I have been here since it all started and the Jags have been in big games before.
It's 1b to me.
1a was that damn AFCCG that the tacks upset us.

I mean, it don't get much bigger than the AFCCG, outside of the SB.
The Titans championship game will always sting the most! However I live in New England,  and with the trash talk that has come my way the last 3 days......... I want this game more than any other!!!!!!!!!!!
(01-17-2018, 01:41 PM)Fanduel$$man Wrote: [ -> ]Where would you rank this game in history of the team? Is this the biggest game in team history? Just wondering how you feel and what your thoughts are

Obviously, given our relatively brief history, this stands as one of the three biggest games in our history.

In 1996, our second year of on field existence, we went to NE and lost.  While that represented a disappointment, we were all just happy to be there.  A conference championship game in our second year?  Are you kidding me?!?  Knocking off Jim Kelly and John Elway in the process?!?  That run was an absolute blast as a Jaguars fan.

In 1999 we had home field advantage and most of us felt we would go to the Super Bowl.  1999 was supposed to be our year.  But it wasn't.  The tack came into our house, and thanks to three completely unforced errors, they beat us and took "our" shot to win it all.  That represented the first real crushing disappointment this franchise has had.  You could make the argument this franchise never really recovered from that loss...until perhaps now.

This year seems a lot like 1996.  We had lost a ton since 2007, and won only three games last year.  To put that in perspective our inaugural season, we won four (4) games.  While we hoped for improvement, for the most part, advancing to the AFCCG is like playing with house money.  Most of us are simply giddy to be here.  But despite the happiness, we want more.  Going against GOAT coach Bill Belichick and GOAT QB Tom Brady, it seems like mission impossible on a lot of levels.  But digging deeper, I think we have a shot.  I think the defense we have now is superior to the one in 1999, and vastly superior as to not really merit comparisons to the 1996 defense.  In fact, you may be more familiar with the defense we brought up to New England in 2007, featuring Stroud, Henderson and Rashean Mathis.  This defense is better than that one too.  This defense can not only rush the passer better than those teams, it can cover better than those teams.  As a result, this defense scores prolifically.  That means shifting momentum and changing games.  I don't think we have the offense those 90s teams had, but I think the defense is what gives us the chance.  Brady is what makes you guys go.  If somehow we can make him uncomfortable...get him on the ground a few times, we stand a chance to beat you.  In 2007, our defense offered ZERO resistance or discomfort to Brady and our coverage did the same.  I don't think that happens this time.  I don't see guys like Vince Wilfork, Ty Law, Richard Seymour et al on your defense.  It's not as good as it has been in years past from a purely talent perspective.  But as long as BB is there, it is always a threat to shut teams down.  Unless we have an avalanche of turnovers, if you win, it won't be the blowout you had over Tennessee.  But I think we have a shot to win.
We have a relatively short history to pull from. With that said, this ranks up there as possibly #3 for me. As previously mentioned, the 96' and 99' would be #1 and #2 for me. Oddly enough, 2007 doesn't mean much to me as it almost felt like the Jags fell into a situation and didn't really earn it so to speak. Wasn't really that strong of a team in my opinion. Kind of how the tacks were this year.