Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gus Fired. Increase in ticket sales?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So many fire Gus threads. Many comments coming during home games, meaning that quite a few ( not counting out of the area fans) who want change, don't go to games.

My question is...If Gus gets fired, do you start attending games?

Because, if I'm Khan, and I feel that there are so many complaints, but it won't put them in the seats on Sunday anyway, why bother?

Sure. Winning will do that. I new coach doesn't guarantee that. Remember the Del Rio excitement? Remember running Tom out of town?

I'm not Gus apologist by any means. I'm just curious as to if he gets fired this year, will those wanting him out, start attending games?
People in this town are so desperate for a winning team that they will get excited about any change.

Saw the thread title and got my hopes up..

That's false advertising and I'm callin Ax Dave
Am I the only one who read this topic, and thought "Wait, Gus was fired?!  Where'd I miss the news?!"

i doubt it would do much for sales. maybe a little.  but then the team loses bad again and all hype fizzles out.

Winning will bring people to the stadium. A new coach will get people excited for the first few games and then it depends on results.
The only thing that will get people to games will be a winning team.  Even the season ticket holders have a breaking point...sure, a game or two may see an uptick, but without consistent wins things will stay the same.

Lets be honest, that stadium is pretty darn full for the product that is put on the field.  We've watched bad football for the strong part of 15 years....bad bad bad football.  Gabbert like football.  Non playoff football.  There have been some empty stadiums at times, but for the most part, people have stuck it out.  The fan base is strong right now, but if the players keep saying these things about booing, there will be a fan revolt.

They may not go up if he's fired, but they'd go down if he stayed. 

Quote:The only thing that will get people to games will be a winning team.  Even the season ticket holders have a breaking point...sure, a game or two may see an uptick, but without consistent wins things will stay the same.

Lets be honest, that stadium is pretty darn full for the product that is put on the field.  We've watched bad football for the strong part of 15 years....bad bad bad football.  Gabbert like football.  Non playoff football.  There have been some empty stadiums at times, but for the most part, people have stuck it out.  The fan base is strong right now, but if the players keep saying these things about booing, there will be a fan revolt.

Lets not kid ourselves. They have been a lot of opposing fans in the stadium this year. It would not surprise me at the next home game (against Houston on 11/13) if there are at least 15-20k empty seats.
The Jaguars side is typically full of all Jaguars fans, every game.  The visitors side is typically still a majority of Jaguars fans.  If you go to almost any NFL stadium its that way except for the consistently strong fan bases. 

The fact that this team has the strong season ticket holder fan base that it does is a surprise.  It's wallowed in mediocrity for long enough.

Quote:The Jaguars side is typically full of all Jaguars fans, every game.  The visitors side is typically still a majority of Jaguars fans.  If you go to almost any NFL stadium its that way except for the consistently strong fan bases. 

The fact that this team has the strong season ticket holder fan base that it does is a surprise.  It's wallowed in mediocrity for long enough.

That is why I think the Texans and Titans games will be better indicators of how dissatisfied our fans are of this team. Those fans don't pack stands like Packers or Raiders fans do. The Vikings and Broncos games will have tens of thousands of opposing fans and it will be a nearly full stadium.

The Titans game on Christmas Eve will be, well, very empty.
Quote:Lets not kid ourselves. They have been a lot of opposing fans in the stadium this year. It would not surprise me at the next home game (against Houston on 11/13) if there are at least 15-20k empty seats.

I have a lot of season tickets so I place some on the resale market.   The Texans and Titans game have very little demand.   This sucks because in other divisions, their intra-divisional games are usually the games that are in high demand.
Quote:That is why I think the Texans and Titans games will be better indicators of how dissatisfied our fans are of this team. Those fans don't pack stands like Packers or Raiders fans do. The Vikings and Broncos games will have tens of thousands of opposing fans and it will be a nearly full stadium.

The Titans game on Christmas Eve will be, well, very empty.

^^^  100% correct
No denying that, but that is actually typical of every year. 

When this team wins 2 or even 3 games in a row back in say 2007 or 2008 you would always see a surge in ticket sales.  You could feel the energy in the stadium.  Now when you go to a game that energy really isn't there.  People just can't get excited over the product.  It's become sad because it's hard to get your hopes up.

Read the title and almost got excited
Quote:Read the title and almost got excited

Same. 
Just so you know I hate you right now Ringo. Giving false hope like that isn't cool! Haha.
Ticket sales don't really work that way.. most of your premium seating has been sold prior to the season, which is the most important part of ticket sales revenue. Individual game tickets are also mostly already purchased or there are very few left (relatively speaking) and are mostly available for resale (I.E. NFLTE, Ticketmaster, Stubhub, etc). The majority of tickets have mostly been purchased or are already sold out. Firing your coach may spike the turnstiles  and help you sell more concessions to Aramark for a week or two but will ultimately dip lower.. but we are talking about a very small margin when it comes to actual ticket sales to be made. I can't imagine Khan would really need to pinch pennies on remaining ticket sales

Quote:No denying that, but that is actually typical of every year. 

When this team wins 2 or even 3 games in a row back in say 2007 or 2008 you would always see a surge in ticket sales.  You could feel the energy in the stadium.  Now when you go to a game that energy really isn't there.  People just can't get excited over the product.  It's become sad because it's hard to get your hopes up.

For the last several years, the excitement and energy is in the pregame tailgating. It's sort of like the last meal before an execution. We enjoy food because we know we are about to be killed.
There actually was an uptick in ticket sales the year JDR was hired.

Pages: 1 2