Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: ESPN 'insiders' break down AFCCG. Don't even know who is on our team.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/...s-tell-all

Scroll down to the first question about the AFCCG and you get this gem. Sad that the national media can't even do their homework on a championship game.

On the options when covering [font=Georgia,]Rob Gronkowski/Tom Brady combo:[/font] "What's the answer for the tight end? That's always the first question. Because when you double him and they spread you out and start throwing to backs, that's the issue. You can try some double-teams on Gronk but can't just stay in the same coverage -- mix it up with man, zone, pressure. Jalen Ramsey is capable of helping out on Gronk, but the problem is they move Gronk around so much. That could disrupt what Jacksonville wants to do with their corners as a whole. I'd be shocked if they put Ramsey on [him] a bunch. They might disguise looks so he ends up on Ramsey's side. But you'll probably see a lot of Johnathan Cyprienon him, maybe one of their linebackers because they are athletic enough."
It's a huge waste of time reading or listening to the national media when it comes to the Jags. I'm sure it's this way for other teams as well. But it's pure business. The big teams have the most fans, drive the most interest, so the media spends more time covering those teams (cowboys, eagles, steelers, patriots, broncos, etc...) I dont blame them for not knowing much about the Jags. Sure if they were amazing writers, journalists, analysts, etc.. then yea maybe they'd know about our team. But there are very few of them that are amazing at their craft. So very few will know about us. To get any kind of really good insight and analysis of the Jags, you have to get it from local coverage. And I feel we get enough of that from Prisco and Boselli and Lageman and all the rest to satisfy the interested fan.
No wonder ESPN is barely relevant. Scrubs!
LOL, wow. They should especially know because Cyp was in the playoffs, on a different team. The commentators even mentioned him in one of their playoff games if I remember correctly. Do they even watch the games?
I've made sure not to watch any national media regarding our team this week. Just drives me nuts.
If you think that's bad, you might be better off if the Jags lose.

Imagine listening to TWO WEEKS of the same uninformed opinions from the entire country?!

Many thought this was a long week. The following two weeks seem like a year!
Surprised they didn’t mention the X factor Blaine Gabbert is going to be in this game for the Jags.

I mean how incompetent can you be at your job and not get fired?
THIS IS "INSIDER" INFORMATION!!!

This is why I have never and will never pay for "insider" information. Especially not ESPN crap. This is why they are failing.
"To get a feel for what the four remaining playoff teams do well -- or don't do so well -- we asked a number of players, coaches and team personnel for their anonymous thoughts on each team. Here's what they had to say:"

That's the opening paragraph. This wasn't an ESPN writer making a mistake, this was some anonymous NFL personnel not knowing who Cyprien plays for. There's plenty of things to criticize ESPN for, and the editor probably should have just fixed the quote, but this wasn't a writer's quote.
I didn't even know ESPN Insider was such a thing still. I thought they lost all of their subscribers?
(01-20-2018, 02:17 PM)empty Wrote: [ -> ]"To get a feel for what the four remaining playoff teams do well -- or don't do so well -- we asked a number of players, coaches and team personnel for their anonymous thoughts on each team. Here's what they had to say:"

That's the opening paragraph.  This wasn't an ESPN writer making a mistake, this was some anonymous NFL personnel not knowing who Cyprien plays for.  There's plenty of things to criticize ESPN for, and the editor probably should have just fixed the quote, but this wasn't a writer's quote.

It's still sloppy journalism at best
(01-20-2018, 02:23 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2018, 02:17 PM)empty Wrote: [ -> ]"To get a feel for what the four remaining playoff teams do well -- or don't do so well -- we asked a number of players, coaches and team personnel for their anonymous thoughts on each team. Here's what they had to say:"

That's the opening paragraph.  This wasn't an ESPN writer making a mistake, this was some anonymous NFL personnel not knowing who Cyprien plays for.  There's plenty of things to criticize ESPN for, and the editor probably should have just fixed the quote, but this wasn't a writer's quote.

It's still sloppy journalism at best

Yeah, I won't disagree.
Used to love ESPN and Sports Center. When Berman left it started going down hill and when Stew Scott passed it was iceing on the cake. It will never be the same again and ESPN sucks now period! I used to have my tv on ESPN 24/7. Now it's just hard to watch and it's sad
People still pay attention to espn?
Most national reporters don’t know much about smaller market teams who haven’t been competitive for a while. It’s sad but true
What's funny is he said we will probably see a lot of Cuyp on him. Even if we did have him Cyp is the last player we would want on Gronk along with Poz
(01-20-2018, 12:59 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]It's a huge waste of time reading or listening to the national media when it comes to the Jags. I'm sure it's this way for other teams as well. But it's pure business.  The big teams have the most fans, drive the most interest, so the media spends more time covering those teams (cowboys, eagles, steelers, patriots, broncos, etc...) I dont blame them for not knowing much about the Jags. Sure if they were amazing writers, journalists, analysts, etc.. then yea maybe they'd know about our team.  But there are very few of them that are amazing at their craft.  So very few will know about us.  To get any kind of really good insight and analysis of the Jags, you have to get it from local coverage.  And I feel we get enough of that from Prisco and Boselli and Lageman and all the rest to satisfy the interested fan.

The national media spends more time covering teams that have been actually good. You expect them to know or care much about a team that has sucked for a decade and is in the NFL's smallest market? Let the Jags win for a few years and they'll be as familiar to America as the Steelers are. The local writers are always the best source, although you get a higher risk of bias.

God, I hope the Jags win for many years - for a variety of reasons. One  being that we can get rid of this whiny - nobody knows my name!

(01-20-2018, 02:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Used to love ESPN and Sports Center.  When Berman left it started going down hill and when Stew Scott passed it was iceing on the cake.  It will never be the same again and ESPN sucks now period!  I used to have my tv on ESPN 24/7.  Now it's just hard to watch and it's sad

lol ... you're getting old.
Only way ESPN would pay attention to the Jags is if we had a transgender player.
(01-20-2018, 01:15 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]No wonder ESPN is barely relevant. Scrubs!

People still watch ESPN?  I don't unless I have no choice became one of my team's games is being aired there.  They've absolutely ruined Sportscenter...I can't remember the last time I watched it.
ESPN?....Meh....turrible
Pages: 1 2