Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Biggest game ever?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For those of us who have been around since the beginning, we know how exciting it is playing this late into January. I feel as though tomorrow's game surpasses them all. It's quite amazing to see a 3-win team from last year make it this far with so many new additions.

We now get the chance to play the greatest franchise, QB, and coach of all-time and make our mark on history. Win or lose, the jags showed they are contenders in this league.

I feel like tomorrow is Christmas and I won't be getting much sleep tonight.

Duuuuvvvvaaalllllll
(01-20-2018, 03:28 PM)Preach Wrote: [ -> ]For those of us who have been around since the beginning, we know how exciting it is playing this late into January. I feel as though tomorrow's game surpasses them all. It's quite amazing to see a 3-win team from last year make it this far with so many new additions.

We now get the chance to play the greatest franchise, QB, and coach of all-time and make our mark on history. Win or lose, the jags showed they are contenders in this league.

Duuuuvvvvaaalllllll

Biggest game in franchise history?  I’d definitely say so
(01-20-2018, 03:33 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2018, 03:28 PM)Preach Wrote: [ -> ]For those of us who have been around since the beginning, we know how exciting it is playing this late into January. I feel as though tomorrow's game surpasses them all. It's quite amazing to see a 3-win team from last year make it this far with so many new additions.

Duuuuvvvvaaalllllll

Biggest game in franchise history?  I’d definitely say so

Yes. So exciting.
I don't really see it like the "biggest game"

It's a big game for the Khan and Caldwell regime. Not the biggest for the franchise.

Getting Marrone (and to a lesser degree Coughlin) in place signify that this rebuild is in the final stages of completion. (finally) The rebuild really is not there just yet as they haven't really found consistency at QB and the O-Line and receiver situations were a bit of a mess this year.

I feel the coaching staff had this offense over-achieving most of the season and it's going to require a few more pieces to be a perennial contender.

So - in my mind - it's a great test for an ascending team with a great (yet young) defense and an over-achieving offense. If the offense were more filled out talent-wise I'd view it as the biggest game yet. The match-up would be more even - and potentially favor the Jags from an overall roster talent perspective. The Jags just aren't quite there yet, and I think a win will indeed be an "upset."

That said, we've seen this Jags defense stifle some good offenses this year. (though not always for four full quarters)
Still - I know the Jags can pull this win off if they play disciplined ball and limit the big mistakes on all three phases.
It's definitely the biggest in franchise history. Yes, we've been here before but I think it's so big for us because we've been in a black hole for so long. I don't know that it would matter who we played this weekend, it would still be emotional.

The fact that it's the Patriots makes it pretty sweet though- especially if when we beat them. And how we won against the Steelers to get here. Actually it's how this season has unfolded- period. In preseason we benched Bortles and we seemed to have no direction. The players were complaining about the tough training camps and after last season it just seemed to be 'another Jaguars season'. Then something happened and it all started falling into place. If there was ever a team and a season that should be featured on Amazon's All Or Nothing it's this team this season

What a wild ride it's been!!
Nope. Just a step to the Super Bowl. That would be a special moment.
(01-20-2018, 03:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really see it like the "biggest game"

It's a big game for the Khan and Caldwell regime.  Not the biggest for the franchise.  

Getting Marrone (and to a lesser degree Coughlin) in place signify that this rebuild is in the final stages of completion. (finally) The rebuild really is not there just yet as they haven't really found consistency at QB and the O-Line and receiver situations were a bit of a mess this year.

I feel the coaching staff had this offense over-achieving most of the season and it's going to require a few more pieces to be a perennial contender.

So - in my mind - it's a great test for an ascending team with a great (yet young) defense and an over-achieving offense. If the offense were more filled out talent-wise I'd view it as the biggest game yet.  The match-up would be more even -  and potentially favor the Jags from an overall roster talent perspective. The Jags just aren't quite there yet, and I think a win will indeed be an "upset."  

That said, we've seen this Jags defense stifle some good offenses this year. (though not always for four full quarters)
Still - I know the Jags can pull this win off if they play disciplined ball and limit the big mistakes on all three phases.

Which game do you feel ranks ahead of this one?
(01-20-2018, 04:17 PM)Preach Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2018, 03:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really see it like the "biggest game"

It's a big game for the Khan and Caldwell regime.  Not the biggest for the franchise.  

So - in my mind - it's a great test for an ascending team with a great (yet young) defense and an over-achieving offense. If the offense were more filled out talent-wise I'd view it as the biggest game yet.  The match-up would be more even -  and potentially favor the Jags from an overall roster talent perspective. The Jags just aren't quite there yet, and I think a win will indeed be an "upset."  

Which game do you feel ranks ahead of this one?
The 99 conference championship. 

So - it's the biggest in a long time  - but I see it as the first of many big games to come for a new era in Jaguars football.
I was too young to enjoy or remember the excitement of the late 90s Jaguar runs.

This for me is the biggest game in franchise history. Maybe it's because it's the night before and I'm as hyped as anytime I can remember for a Jaguars game. This game has deep importance to it for the obvious reasons but there is a feeling of a change in the guard of the AFC.

The Jaguars have a young and talented defense, better coaching than we have had since coach Coughlin, an offense that is good enough to get the job done with the defense and a re-energized fan base. Why can't the Jaguars take over for New England in the AFC?

Some will say Bortles.

I disagree for a few reasons. He's gotten better as the year went on. He's not perfect but he's been plenty good enough and he's durable. He's just 25 years old with continued room for improvement. This playoff run has shown you that he has the respect of the locker room and his teammates want to play for him. Numerous players have made comments showing that.

I am all in agreement that if we can do better at the position then do it but I doubt that opportunity is going to present itself this offseason. This team isn't going to get Drew Brees and they aren't going to trade for Alex Smith. They aren't going to overpay for Kirk Cousins if he makes it out of Washington.

This team is going to come out with a major attitude tomorrow. A few desperation passes by Big Ben and some super human play by AB made last weeks game a lot closer than it should have been. This team has what it takes and I can't wait to see them tear down the Pats tomorrow.
well...its definitely among the biggest games the Jaguars franchise has ever played....
If they WIN....THEN... the next game will be the BIGGEST.
Go Jaguars and eat some goat.
As someone who's been around since the beginning, I'd say it's the biggest. So far. If we win this one then the next one will be. Smile
Biggest by far!
(01-20-2018, 05:04 PM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]As someone who's been around since the beginning, I'd say it's the biggest. So far. If we win this one then the next one will be. Smile

Exactly!  Wink
Ive been around since day 1 and I agree as well. Biggest game in franchise history.
A win tomorrow would change the perception of this franchise, more than any game ever.

I'd say yeah. Biggest game ever for The Jags.

I'm not as down on the O-Line...when we are winning in the trenches the way we have at times, there's something good going on there.  This line is solid...maybe consider drafting a future LG and RT this draft.

Bortles has been up and down at times but I don't see how he doesn't start next year so that's at least settled for one more year.

Regarding receivers...it reminded that Vic used to say they are "a dime a dozen."  That couldn't be more true this year with injuries and WRs in and out each week.  What McCardell has done this year has been awesome.  We have enough good WRs that this area is not an issue.

The coaching staff has definitely done what they are supposed to do, "coach'em up."  We haven't had that in a while.  These coaches turn the potential of the players into production (or even over-achieving).

I also don't see a win against the Pats as an upset.  If it wasn't for Brady and Gronk we would be the "clearly" better team.  IMHO, we are still the better team without debate.  This is the most complete and best "overall" team the Jags have ever fielded.  I noticed mid-season that this team was built to beat the Patriots and legitimately have a show at the Lombardi trophy.  When they traded for Darius it was clear they believed they had a show this year.
I think the 99 championship game was bigger. We were arguably the best team in football. Home field. All the pressure was on us. Was the culmination of a great 4 year run. Probably our best opportunity to win a super bowl.

This is probably the second biggest game in team history in my opinion. Kinda feels like we're lucky to be here in a sense. Obviously we are a good team but we did go 10-6 in the regular season so we weren't great. Essentially no pressure on us as we are almost a double digit underdog.
Idk if it’s the biggest. It feels like it is since it is the current one. Between this one and ‘99 in my opinion. I hope we can easily put this answer to rest after tomorrow’s game.
How big are Bortles cajones? We'll see if he's got the biggest, we'll need it!
The anticipation for this game is the greatest I've seen. It's bigger than any during the 96 season, because our franchise was just too young for the fans to truly appreciate what was happening. As far as 1998-99, that would be a close
2nd, but there is just something about the current team which puts it at the top. Combine the fans' great hunger with personalities like Ramsay, Campbell and Telvin and it is not surprising that our fans are so excited about this team. If they do win tomorrow, this city will go totally bonkers for the next 2 weeks.
Pages: 1 2