Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jalen Ramsey is the Jaguars Megaphone- Boston Globe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I'd look at some local Boston news sites just to see if there was any coverage of the fans and whatnot and I saw this article. I thought it was a good one and demonstrates who Ramsey is and how he really is the team's megaphone. While reading it I thought if there was any way to make a compilation video with all his comments and facial expressions it would probably be hilarious.  Evidently you get only 2 free articles to read so I'm going to copy and paste it along with the link. I hope that's cool with the Mods.

Boston Globe

By Julian BenbowGLOBE STAFF
JANUARY 19, 2018
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The moment was so spontaneous, so entirely epic, so unapologetically brash and endearingly genuine that no one in EverBank Field — not the fans who filled the seats to greet a triumphant Jaguars team after a victory that punched its ticket to the AFC championship nor the players themselves — could see it coming even though they have learned to expect as much out of Jalen Ramsey.

He grabbed the microphone and did what he’s been wired to do since he came into the NFL.

“I ain’t got too much to say,” he told the crowd. “But y’all make sure y’all bring that same energy next week and the week after.

“We going to the Super Bowl, and we gon’ win that [expletive!]”

Then, as if to make sure he stuck the landing perfectly on a declaration that was as heart-attack serious as it was Chappelle-sketch funny, he said it one more time.

“We gon’ win that [expletive!],” he said.

The words themselves were enough to stir the usual playoff pot about a team putting the horse before the wagon.

But the true impact was in the faces of the teammates around Ramsey. None of them so much as flinched. Telvin Smith couldn’t hold back his laughter. A.J. Bouye let out a huge roar. The rest smiled and nodded.

With Ramsey — who’s proven to have the kind of game to back up a personality big enough to fill a stadium — they’ve learned to believe the unbelievable.

“Everybody wants to talk about Jalen and the way he talks, but really the way I look at it is I told Jalen, ‘You say what we all want to say. You know the work that we put in. You know in the offseason and even in practice.’ Everybody doubted us, so that’s cool. We’ll just keep it going.”

On a team full of players unafraid to speak their minds, Ramsey is the megaphone and he embraces it.

“Why not, man?” he said. “I say what the team is thinking, but might not want to say. Why not say it?

“I think other guys on the team could probably do the same. They can back it up, but that’s just not who they are. That’s not their personality, but, you know, this is [No.] 20.”

Whether it was his mini-beef with veteran receiver Steve Smith Sr. as a rookie last season (“I don’t care how old he is,” Ramsey said at the time. “If that made him angry then, he can go home and sleep on it”) or the mind games that turned into a wrestling match with A.J. Green this year, (“I told him almost every play he was weak, he was soft. Them just straight facts. He can’t handle the truth,” Ramsey said), Ramsey hasn’t shied away from making his presence known and taking some of the heat that comes with it.

Things that might normally feel like distractions to some teams are a part of how Ramsey operates.

“You don’t have to wind 20 up,” Bouye said. “He’s already fired up. Something happened today in practice, and I told him, ‘Hey, just be ready and get your mind right.’ He looked at me, and he said, ‘My mind always right.’

“That’s him. He’s always locked in. He’s focused and you can just see it in the meeting rooms and the way he carries on.”

Inevitably, what Ramsey said at the Jaguars rally got back to Foxborough. By and large, the Patriots brushed it off and praised the Jaguars as a worthy AFC championship opponent.

Ramsey was skeptical.

“I’ve seen a couple of things about it,” he said. “I know for a minute they were trying to gas me up, they were trying to gas us up a little bit. You can’t really gas somebody up who is already gassed. That’s what I do, so that didn’t really matter to me.”

He did catch Patriots defensive end Adam Butler slipping in one under-the-radar warning when he said, “Be humble or be humbled.”

To which, his initial response on Twitter was, “Who?”

“That one kid who said something, I mean I don’t really know who he is,” Ramsey said. “So it is what it is.”

What the Jaguars know is that in Ramsey they have a Pro Bowl cornerback who, in just his second season, is carving out space for himself in the conversation about being among the best in the league.

“I have always said the same thing about him, I think everyone out there can see the talent but I do not think everyone out there sees how hard he works at the game — how much he studies the concepts, the opponent, the receivers, the splits, the quarterback — all of those things,” said Jaguars coach Doug Marrone.

Part of what makes the Jaguars defense such a threat is its ability to create takeaways (a league-high 33 this season). Jacksonville was the only team to have four players with at least four interceptions. Ten of them came from their corners with Bouye snatching six and Ramsey grabbing four.

“Jalen and me, we compete every day in practice,” Bouye said. “We just strive to make each other better including [cornerback Aaron Colvin]. That’s all the DBs. We all just rub off on each other.

“If you hear how I talk in practice, how AC talks, you’d be like, ‘Oh man, why don’t they talk like that in front of the camera, lights, and everything like that?’ We just let Jalen do it. He’s the face. He’s confident, but he backs it up. We all back it up.”

On the path to turning around the Jaguars from being a 3-13 afterthought a year ago to a Super Bowl contender today, Ramsey’s been on the frontline demanding respect in the most brash way.

“At this point, if we don’t got respect, that might be a lost cause,” Ramsey said. “We just might not get none. We’re one of the final four teams in the NFL playing right now, so if we ain’t got no respect then, get it.”

Julian Benbow can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @julianbenbow.
[Image: FB_IMG_1513984723864.jpg]