Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NYC's Quick Take on The AFC Championship Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our beloved Jags are almost there folks.  Almost.

With a #1 receiver and an upgrade or two on the line, this offense will be much more productive even w/o a QB change. 
I'm excited that the team is poised to be in the hunt for a few years if they stay smart with the cap and acquisitions. 

The Offensive Game:

The conservative first down calls were infuriating - but I understand why they don't want Blake in danger of throwing picks on the Jags side of the field. Still - they need to mix it up more there. 
I know that it sometimes requires 8-10 2 yard runs to set up a big one, but you have to know when to mix it up a bit more. Aside from those first down runs in the second half, Hackett called a great game. I hope it's a learning experience for him and the staff. (A better run blocker or two up front will help too.)

Blake played great for the most part compared to his general body of work. A few too many passes coming out  a beat late and behind the route, but he did some good things. Should have run for the first on that last fourth down. Proud of his progress this season on the whole. 

Defense:

I was infuriated to see Telvin Smith stuck covering Cooks 4 or 5 times and to see Bouye and Ramsey guessing which receiver to pick up in zone coverage a few times. Just can't give Brady all that cushion that zone coverage provides. Bouye needs to play tighter when in man. Not using the jam more against Cooks/Amendola was a mistake. 
Run D was quite good. 

Pass Rush:  Looked pretty good today. I stopped counting at some point but during the fourth Q I had marked down: 10 QB pressures including 6 hits and 3 sacks, plus 6 no-call holds committed by the pats. 

Special Teams: 

Grant is not a smart kickoff returner. I like Grant and wish they'd have continued the swing passes and such to him on offense, but they need a return guy with better vision. He ignores the open sideline too often to run behind crowded blockers. Missed a couple of opportunities for bigger returns. 
Lambo continues to impress the heck out of me.