Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Very Tough Loss But Don't Forget a Great Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jags fans,

I feel for you.  There's no way around it - that was an absolutely soul-crushing loss and as a Bills fans I've seen a few of those in the past.  The first half of the game was about as effective as I've ever seen a team play the Patriots on both sides of the ball.  Blake looked to be having a great game and the defense was really frustrating the hell out of Brady.  I also loved how Gronk got knocked out of the game, after his cheap shot nearly injured TreDavius White last year.    

In the end, I think the Jaguars lost for two reasons.  First, was QB play. In the end, the run game wasn't carrying the offense.  The ball was in Blake's hand to win the game in the 4th and he couldn't do it.  As good as Blake's QB play was in the first half he just couldn't come through in the clutch when the team needed him.  He held onto the ball, missed some open receivers, and even fumbled under pressure.  I did feel bad for him, as he played a great game for just about 3/4 quarters.   Just like when the Bills played the Jags, better QB play probably would have led to a victory.

The second factor was the play calling on both offense and defense.  The play calling was very conservative and it seemed to me that the Jags were trying to nurse the lead and leave it in the hands of the defense to close out the game.  This has been the Jags formula to win and it has been effective in most situations.  That worked against Tyrod Taylor but it won't work against Tom Brady.  I felt that the team was too complacent with the lead and knew that could be a problem, because of the player Brady is in the 4th quarter.  On defense, they seemed to be playing zone to keep everything in front of them to avoid a TD.  Brady can pick apart a zone defense like crazy.  Not sure why they didn't play more man-to-man.

Nathanial Hackett is taking a lot of crap, but honestly he did a great job scripting plays today and the entire season.  He has tried to take advantage of what Bortles does well and minimize his limitations.  If you can fault Nate, it's for not making enough adjustments when the NE defense was catching on to what they were doing.  Again this is what Belichick does extremely well and one of the reasons why he has been so effective.

As much as it sucks to lose to a team that could have beaten - keep in mind that this was a 3-13 team last season.  You should have a lot of confidence in front office for making some key additions last season that allowed this deep run into the playoffs.  You can expect a few other key additions and some good players in the draft.  Big question is at QB - I know people here love Blake, but I'm not sold.  I think you are a QB away from being a dominant team and that's for real.  Not sure who that will be considering the huge deals that free agents like Cousins and Case Keenum will likely get this offseason.  But look how many young players you have on defense.  Jags will be a force on defense for years to come and that automatically ensures they'll at worst be competitive in games.    

More good news - you won't have to deal with me for much longer. I was just here to say the piece about Marrone (who I felt pretty bad for after the game) and to talk football this week.  Good luck to all the fans.   Thanks for tolerating a fan from another team on here.
(01-21-2018, 08:38 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Jags fans,

I feel for you.  There's no way around it - that was an absolutely soul-crushing loss and as a Bills fans I've seen a few of those in the past.  The first half of the game was about as effective as I've ever seen a team play the Patriots on both sides of the ball.  Blake looked to be having a great game and the defense was really frustrating the hell out of Brady.  I also loved how Gronk got knocked out of the game, after his cheap shot nearly injured TreDavius White last year.    

In the end, I think the Jaguars lost for two reasons.  First, was QB play. In the end, the run game wasn't carrying the offense.  The ball was in Blake's hand to win the game in the 4th and he couldn't do it.  As good as Blake's QB play was in the first half he just couldn't come through in the clutch when the team needed him.  He held onto the ball, missed some open receivers, and even fumbled under pressure.  I did feel bad for him, as he played a great game for just about 3/4 quarters.   Just like when the Bills played the Jags, better QB play probably would have led to a victory.

The second factor was the play calling on both offense and defense.  The play calling was very conservative and it seemed to me that the Jags were trying to nurse the lead and leave it in the hands of the defense to close out the game.  This has been the Jags formula to win and it has been effective in most situations.  That worked against Tyrod Taylor but it won't work against Tom Brady.  I felt that the team was too complacent with the lead and knew that could be a problem, because of the player Brady is in the 4th quarter.  On defense, they seemed to be playing zone to keep everything in front of them to avoid a TD.  Brady can pick apart a zone defense like crazy.  Not sure why they didn't play more man-to-man.

Nathanial Hackett is taking a lot of crap, but honestly he did a great job scripting plays today and the entire season.  He has tried to take advantage of what Bortles does well and minimize his limitations.  If you can fault Nate, it's for not making enough adjustments when the NE defense was catching on to what they were doing.  Again this is what Belichick does extremely well and one of the reasons why he has been so effective.

As much as it sucks to lose to a team that could have beaten - keep in mind that this was a 3-13 team last season.  You should have a lot of confidence in front office for making some key additions last season that allowed this deep run into the playoffs.  You can expect a few other key additions and some good players in the draft.  Big question is at QB - I know people here love Blake, but I'm not sold.  I think you are a QB away from being a dominant team and that's for real.  Not sure who that will be considering the huge deals that free agents like Cousins and Case Keenum will likely get this offseason.  But look how many young players you have on defense.  Jags will be a force on defense for years to come and that automatically ensures they'll at worst be competitive in games.    

More good news - you won't have to deal with me for much longer. I was just here to say the piece about Marrone (who I felt pretty bad for after the game) and to talk football this week.  Good luck to all the fans.   Thanks for tolerating a fan from another team on here.

I would like for you to stick around. We do tons of draft talk. Plus your a NE fan and we could get local insight news from you and your team.
(01-21-2018, 09:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]

I would like for you to stick around. We do tons of draft talk. Plus your a NE fan and we could get local insight news from you and your team.

He’s a bills fan...
(01-21-2018, 09:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]

Helllllll no!  I’m a Bills fan but I’ve watched NE to play enough that I’m familiar with that team.

I’m an NFC fan next week.
(01-21-2018, 09:09 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2018, 09:00 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I would like for you to stick around. We do tons of draft talk. Plus your a NE fan and we could get local insight news from you and your team.

Helllllll no!  I’m a Bills fan but I’ve watched NE to play enough that I’m familiar with that team.

Good game Jags! 

That defense is something else and Bortles isn't as bad as I thought he would be. I figured this game would be close. Look forward to some good games here within the next coupe years.
(01-21-2018, 09:17 PM)Boston_Prince Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2018, 09:09 PM)BuffaloRush Wrote: [ -> ]Helllllll no!  I’m a Bills fan but I’ve watched NE to play enough that I’m familiar with that team.

Good game Jags! 

That defense is something else and Bortles isn't as bad as I thought he would be. I figured this game would be close. Look forward to some good games here within the next coupe years.

Condescending arrogance, nice touch!  Par for the course from Pats fans.
(01-21-2018, 09:19 PM)Jest101 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-21-2018, 09:17 PM)Boston_Prince Wrote: [ -> ]Good game Jags! 

Condescending arrogance, nice touch!  Par for the course from Pats fans.

Take it how you want. I was seriously giving your team props. Don't be a sour puss, really.

Cheers. 

Stop by for the bills/jags week next year.