Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I hate zone defenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don’t care that we played in that the majority of the year and had and great passing numbers in it. With all that individual athletic fast talent on defense, specifically the secondary you don’t limit them by letting them cover an area. I’ve heard a good part of the year that the defense is basically in a simple base zone defense and does nothing exotic or complicated and rely on four getting home. Being that vanilla and not letting your talented corners not handle man most the year took a very good defense chances away from being historic. 

Maybe I’m wrong and Bouye truly gets exposed more and Telvin Smith and Jack gets ate up but, letting good receivers find spots in your defense to sit doesn’t sound aggressive enough for this type of unit. Ramsey is the prototypical man press corner and Bouye could’ve gotten it done also in press man. Games like the Cardinals, Seahawks, Titans, and now the Patriots game also showed we need an upgrade at the safety positions. Both of those dudes were the brunt of our biggest explosive plays given up this year. I just think we need more intelligence and speed back there. 

Basically I wrote all this crap to say we weren’t creative or aggressive enough with all the talent we had on that side of the ball. But what can you expect from a coach who would kneel with 50 seconds left in the half with two timeouts in your pocket?
Watch the Ramsey locker room interview. You’re not the only one.... it’s a shame.
It didn’t help outside of one or two plays our pass rush was non existent. I didn’t hear Ngakoue Or Campbell’s name called all game. Corners can’t cover forever.
Huh?

The Jaguars almost always play man coverage from what I can tell.
Zone is fine against lesser QBs and works well if you have a dominating pass rush. It is only the star QBs that can pick it apart (Brady, Brees, Peyton Manning, Favre...). Man-to-man is fine but it is susceptible to separation in crossing routes, especially the ones that involve picks. It was just too bad that they could not come up with a more imaginative way to mix or hide the types of coverage.

I find it odd that they did not use Coughlin's formula - pressure on Brady and knock him down a few times early in the game to get him rattled and inside his head. Forget dropping 8 in coverage, someone will ALWAYS get open in zone coverage - just keep the pressure up and it will eventually cause an errant throw at the point of origin.

I think the personnel could fit the 46. At least it would keep offenses from guessing who is coming in and who isn't.
(01-22-2018, 04:41 AM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]It didn’t help outside of one or two plays our pass rush was non existent. I didn’t hear Ngakoue Or Campbell’s name called all game. Corners can’t cover forever.

For one, because Brady gets rid of the ball too quick and he destroys zone coverage, but it also doesn't help when you're a team that gets pressure from the front 4, yet they get held consistently without getting any calls.

Yea nobody can cover forever, but this DL did put pressure on Brady in the 1st half before we went full on [BLEEP] mode in the 2nd half. Even if the DL doesn't get home, man coverage makes every throw contested. We didn't do that in the 2nd half and Brady murdered our pathetic zone. Which a blind man could have seen coming, yet this coaching staff still did it... PATHETIC.
Zone defense is fine, but you can't go zone against a Tom Brady with only a 4 man rush. If you play zone against Brady you have to bring extra pressure and/or disguise it well as a change of pace from man. You certainly can't just line up 4 and say, "Go get Brady before he throws the ball." What we did was almost disrespectful to Brady. That's what you do to the indecisive, inaccurate quarterbacks of the world... And you line up and do that for an entire half against the GOAT? And that's your adjustment?
Ramsey said it explicitly, as per norm: 'When we were in man, Brady was quiet. Then we went to zone and he did what you expect a QB of his caliber to do; find the soft spots'.

After the mafia put the call in, Marrone went to Wash and was like, son you better do the opposite of whatever you did in the first half when Brady was stifled.
So much for the Jags defense, Brady plucked it apart....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonk, it's over baby!!!
(01-22-2018, 08:20 AM)Patty Pat Wrote: [ -> ]So much for the Jags defense, Brady plucked it apart....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonk, it's over baby!!!

You were eight minutes from losing to that defense. Take that [BLEEP] somewhere else. And y'all wonder why everyone hates y'all. Get the [BLEEP] over yourself....
Don't feed the trolls.

Ramsey is right though. I have watched it all year. We are too conservative on offense and defense with the lead. Zone is a weakness for this team. I am not mad at the coaches for running zone, in that you don't want it to be too predictable, but it needs to be disguised better, combined with a blitz occasionally, and used only enough to keep the offense honest.
soon as we went to zone he picked us apart. with man we were getting pressure and forceing him to throw bad passes. brady was threw worst passes then BB5 did. but we had to play not to lose and switch to zone and that killed us along with our fav run run pass punt on offense. Coaches are to blame 100% on this loss we destroyed the best team in the league for 3 quarters and then curled up like atlanta.
I think it has to be more about understanding your match ups and personnel, and putting people in positions to succeed.

For example, why on earth is Ramsey not on Cooks once Gronk left the game? You his game is speed and then come backs, put the guy with the amazing closing speed on him.

Why is not someone shadowing Amendola in the 2nd half? You know that he is Brady's comfort blanket. Amendola is to Brady what most TE's are to other QB's. He finds soft spots in coverage and knows what Brady is thinking and looking for. He has done this ever since he got to the Patriots.

I mean if Hogan or someone else beats you fine, but once Gronk went out, you can't let Amendola beat you. I mean he is the Robert Horry of the Patriots.

It's knowing personnel and tendencies. It's why Yeldon basically sat the whole 2nd half. New England knew that basically every time Yeldon was in the game it would be a pass. It tipped them off.
This game illustrates why I’m not all that high on Wash and would absolutely not lose any sleep if he was lured away by another team. 

“We’re gonna run our system”
(01-22-2018, 08:20 AM)Patty Pat Wrote: [ -> ]So much for the Jags defense, Brady plucked it apart....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonk, it's over baby!!!

I haven't seen a classy Pats fan yet.
(01-22-2018, 02:15 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]This game illustrates why I’m not all that high on Wash and would absolutely not lose any sleep if he was lured away by another team. 

“We’re gonna run our system”

This and in several other games.

The Jags basically have a collection of all stars on defense. There are no weak players, and that includes Colvin and Fowler, who are situational players beyond the starting 11. Any decent defensive coordinator should be able to make them into a top two defense. Wash is nothing special, and the defensive calls this game were over 90% a base zone with a four man rush. Brady had no guesses. The Jags blitzed only once that I can remember (Jack) and it resulted in an incomplete off-target pass.
Once Gronk was oout.

Ramsey-Cooks
Bouye-Hogan
Colvin-Amendola

those should've been the matchups the rest of the game
(01-22-2018, 03:39 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: [ -> ]Once Gronk was oout.

Ramsey-Cooks
Bouye-Hogan
Colvin-Amendola

those should've been the matchups the rest of the game

Yep

(01-22-2018, 04:48 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Huh?

The Jaguars almost always play man coverage from what I can tell.

Did you notice Telvin dropping back with receivers at all?  

Did you notice the DBs coming up to cover those guys when they got past him?  

Did you notice Brady hitting Cooks three times when he was right in between the LBs and DBs?  (the soft spot)

That's zone coverage.  They played way too much of it against a QB notorious for destroying it.
Lol, people calling me names.....had you put more pressure on Brady, you'd had a better chance......poor choice of thinking.

BWAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!