Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Analytical thread on the second half playcalling.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yesterday's game is still sore but this thread (from one of the smartest football minds I know) really shows how bad the playcalling was in the second half. 

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...twterm%5E3
In every football discussion until the end of time, this game will be a textbook example of how "playing not to lose"....loses you the game.
(01-22-2018, 01:26 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: [ -> ]In every football discussion until the end of time, this game will be a textbook example of how "playing not to lose"....loses you the game.

Precisely. Total difference in playcalling from 1st to 2nd half. Coaching clinic in "how not to do it"
(01-22-2018, 01:26 PM)TearExtractor Wrote: [ -> ]In every football discussion until the end of time, this game will be a textbook example of how "playing not to lose"....loses you the game.

Exactly. This is what happens when your team has the heart of a lion and the coaches are mice.
They should have kept feeding Fournette the way he was running. Early in the 2nd half he ran into a wall and was stuffed twice, so with that they basically decided not to run anymore. 
Corey Grant was gouging the hell of them with YAC on short passes multiple times in the first half. In the second half, they never went back to that the those.

Then they reverted back to running on first over and over durring the second half after pa had been effective through out the first half.

I would put quite a bit of this loss on Hackett for his gutless play calling.
(01-22-2018, 01:59 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]They should have kept feeding Fournette the way he was running. Early in the 2nd half he ran into a wall and was stuffed twice, so with that they basically decided not to run anymore. 

What?

I think most people would say the biggest problem in the second half was too many runs up the middle on first down.

Run or pass it's best done when it's not expected. It's clear the pats were expecting early down runs in the second half, and the Jaguars went with them most of the time, anyway. In fact the only first down passes in the second half may have been on the final drive when the patriots were expecting the pass the most.
(01-22-2018, 02:08 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]Corey Grant was gouging the hell of them with YAC on short passes multiple times in the first half. In the second half, they never went back to that the those.

Then they reverted back to running on first over and over durring the second half after pa had been effective through out the first half.

It was a 3 bunch set with both grant and 4net in the back field. They had 4 or 5 options from that formation.Screen to grant (Worked couple times) Fake the pass hand to 4net (wowrked at least once) Pass to the recievers (worked) Blake run didnt try. When the 2nd half came they did not even line up in that formation. That is what is so unbelievable.
They could have used play action since NE was intent on containing Fournette. They should have seen that with the first possession of the 2nd half. Play action worked very well for Bortles in the first half, so I have no idea why they abandoned it after halftime. That is what the ground game is for - to open up the passing game.

(01-22-2018, 02:11 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 02:08 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]Corey Grant was gouging the hell of them with YAC on short passes multiple times in the first half. In the second half, they never went back to that the those.

It was a 3 bunch set with both grant and 4net in the back field. They had 4 or 5 options from that formation.Screen to grant (Worked couple times) Fake the pass hand to 4net (wowrked at least once) Pass to the recievers (worked) Blake run didnt try. When the 2nd half came they did not even line up in that formation. That is what is so unbelievable.

Yes, that option set was working VERY WELL for Bortles.

Not to mention the fact Lewis was getting no penalties after getting tackled on drag routes. So under Hackett's amazing philosophy, we began going to Lewis drag routes multiple times through the second half.

It would seem under Hackett the philosophy is- if it works, never use it again. If We struggle with it, keep going back to it.
The Jags definitely played not to lose in the 4th quarter because of their belief in their defense. Hackett's playcalling was so predictable and conservative on first down in the fourth quarter really put them behind in the chains. Their lack of aggression on offense really hurt them and they had no rhythm when they needed it most. I wasn't surprised though as we have seen it all season with the play calling.
(01-22-2018, 02:20 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 02:11 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]It was a 3 bunch set with both grant and 4net in the back field. They had 4 or 5 options from that formation.Screen to grant (Worked couple times) Fake the pass hand to 4net (wowrked at least once) Pass to the recievers (worked) Blake run didnt try. When the 2nd half came they did not even line up in that formation. That is what is so unbelievable.
Not to mention the fact Lewis was getting no penalties after getting tackled on drag routes. So under Hackett's amazing philosophy, we began going to Lewis drag routes multiple times through the second half.

It would seem under Hackett the philosophy is- if it works, never use it again. If We struggle with it, keep going back to it.

Sounds About right
(01-22-2018, 01:59 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]They should have kept feeding Fournette the way he was running. Early in the 2nd half he ran into a wall and was stuffed twice, so with that they basically decided not to run anymore. 

We ran on almost every 1st down in the 2nd half...
(01-22-2018, 02:08 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]Corey Grant was gouging the hell of them with YAC on short passes multiple times in the first half. In the second half, they never went ...

I was mystified as to why they abandoned that.
I saw the great work from Warren sharpe. How insightful was that Twitter thread? If there was one knock on Marrone in Buffalo it was that he ignored these football analytics and instead relied on “feel” to make decisions. He’s not alone - I think the majority of NFL coaches are the same way. We love Sean mcDermott in Buffalo but I think he has the same outlook.

Great point on prevent defense. You are basically nursing a lead. This will work against bad teams - not against Tom Brady. I hope Doug Pederson is taking note
(01-22-2018, 02:11 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

What?

I think most people would say the biggest problem in the second half was too many runs up the middle on first down.

Run or pass it's best done when it's not expected. It's clear the pats were expecting early down runs in the second half, and the Jaguars went with them most of the time, anyway. In fact the only first down passes in the second half may have been on the final drive when the patriots were expecting the pass the most.

The way Fournette was running in the first half he was looking to take over the game like he did in college. He only had a few sporadic shots in the 2nd half. I feel like if they kept feeding him like they did the first half, he'd have blown the game wide open with at least one more TD. ...probably more. 
(01-22-2018, 03:06 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 02:11 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]It was a 3 bunch set with both grant and 4net in the back field. They had 4 or 5 options from that formation.Screen to grant (Worked couple times) Fake the pass hand to 4net (wowrked at least once) Pass to the recievers (worked) Blake run didnt try. When the 2nd half came they did not even line up in that formation. That is what is so unbelievable.

I was mystified as to why they abandoned that.

I just cant fathom TC being ok with that. again Team heart of lions, coaches hearts of mice.
(01-22-2018, 03:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]

We ran on almost every 1st down in the 2nd half...

In the first half they were running on more than just first downs.
(01-22-2018, 03:16 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 03:03 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]We ran on almost every 1st down in the 2nd half...

In the first half they were running on more than just first downs.

You said we basically didn't run anymore...when actually we ran on every first down.

Our interior was clogged the entire second half and the run was shutdown. Partly due to the predictability of us running on every single first down.
(01-22-2018, 03:19 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2018, 03:16 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]In the first half they were running on more than just first downs.

You said we basically didn't run anymore...when actually we ran on every first down.

Our interior was clogged the entire second half and the run was shutdown. Partly due to the predictability of us running on every single first down.

Running on 1st down is okay. But it cannot be between the tackles every time. You need some off tackles, sweeps, tosses, jet sweeps, etc all with different formations to keep them on their toes forcing New England to play sideline to sideline.
Pages: 1 2