Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is our style of Defense the reason Gipson seems invisible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I haven't seem him make any huge mistakes but he does seem fairly invisible. Not sure if this has anything to do with with the Cover 3 defense we use...
What happens to free agents when they sign in Jax, they disappear and take a vacation.

Obviously we'd all like to see more interceptions, but we're barely allowing any deep passes and Gipson's patrolling that part of the field.

You dont see TEs running free do you? Thank gipson..
I really don't know what to think about Gipson. As a FS, he's supposed to be making an Int or covering good right? He's got one Int but I never see him on the field so is that good or bad ? 

Edit: I frequently talk with my Uncle on the phone about the team and explained to him if we're not seeing a FS on the field unless he's making an Int that he's doing his job, so either I'm right or I'm wrong. 

Quote:You dont see TEs running free do you? Thank gipson..

haha this
Quote:I haven't seem him make any huge mistakes but he does seem fairly invisible. Not sure if this has anything to do with with the Cover 3 defense we use...
He has been invisible because he is taking away the deep part of the field and teams are not throwing it there, our pass defense is pretty good, Prince was getting worked Sunday, but we havent really gave up deep stuff because he has the part of the field covered 

Do you see him out of position and missing tackles? No

Quote:I really don't know what to think about Gipson. As a FS, he's supposed to be making an Int or covering good right? He's got one Int but I never see him on the field so is that good or bad ? 

Edit: I frequently talk with my Uncle on the phone about the team and explained to him if we're not seeing a FS on the field unless he's making an Int that he's doing his job, so either I'm right or I'm wrong. 

I think you're right.

Just think back to our previous safeties. We were routinely bemoaning them getting burned, being out of position and/or missing tackles. Short of a PBU or INT, if we aren't noticing a Free, he's doing his job imo.
Quote:I think you're right.

Just think back to our previous safeties. We were routinely bemoaning them getting burned, being out of position and/or missing tackles. Short of a PBU or INT, if we aren't noticing a Free, he's doing his job imo.
Yup exactly like an OL. You should only notice them when they do something awful or awesome. Gipson is good and has been a reason along with Ramsey and Prince for the success of our secondary.Add Colvin to the mix also. He's playing pretty great for a nickel.  

Quote:He has been invisible because he is taking away the deep part of the field and teams are not throwing it there, our pass defense is pretty good, Prince was getting worked Sunday, but we havent really gave up deep stuff because he has the part of the field covered

This^^^^

When we are able to rush the passer more effectively, you should see him more via turnovers.
He's doing his job. The int's would show up more with better CB play and a much better rush. But the scheme and playcalling might have to do with this as well.

Quote:I think you're right.

Quote:Yup exactly like an OL. You should only notice them when they do something awful or awesome. Gipson is good and has been a reason along with Ramsey and Prince for the success of our secondary.Add Colvin to the mix also. He's playing pretty great for a nickel.  

Alright good. I thought I was defending him correctly but tbh wasn't 100% sure. 
My Lord of all the things to be upset about Gip is not one.

After Evans and Sergio, I will gladly take an invisible FS.

Our young pass rushers are probably the biggest issue on D, Gipson by faaaaar not an issue
Well makes sense.
Quote:He has been invisible because he is taking away the deep part of the field and teams are not throwing it there, our pass defense is pretty good, Prince was getting worked Sunday, but we havent really gave up deep stuff because he has the part of the field covered

This. Gibson, whilst not perfect, is making an impact simply by being in good positions in the deep third.
No issues with Gibson

FS normally make plays such as INT's when the QB makes mistakes. QB's make mistakes when they are under pressure (which the Jags have not been getting) or in obvious passing situations where they are trying to come back into games (which the Jags have not really been in). 

Sure a few FS make plays when there are none, but most FS are taking advantage of opportunities. Such as the 1 pick he had off of Ramsey's tip when the defense was trying to carry the offense to beating Baltimore.

Quote:FS normally make plays such as INT's when the QB makes mistakes. QB's make mistakes when they are under pressure (which the Jags have not been getting) or in obvious passing situations where they are trying to come back into games (which the Jags have not really been in). 

Sure a few FS make plays when there are none, but most FS are taking advantage of opportunities. Such as the 1 pick he had off of Ramsey's tip when the defense was trying to carry the offense to beating Baltimore.
Most of Gipson's career INTs are off tipped balls or bad reads by a QB.
Pages: 1 2