Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mix and Match
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Simple question:

Pick a player or from one of the Jaguars other AFC Championship teams you would put on this current team to get them over the top.

For instance, if we had player X from the 1999 AFC Championship game Jaguars, we would have beaten the Patriots this past Sunday.

Conversely, pick a player from this team that would have put the Jaguars over the top in 1996 or 1999.

My picks:

Jimmy Smith from 1999 on the 2017 team would force the Pats to play us much differently defensively.

or

Leon Searcy-I'd put him in at G and our run blocking would have been better.  We'd get better yardage and run out more clock.

From this team:  Maybe Linder on the 1996 team to run block better than Widell in that AFCCG....

or

Jalen Ramsey on the 1999 team.  As good as the defense was that year...imagine it with a shut down CB like Ramsey.
To the 2017 team:
1) Brunell
2) Boselli
3) Taylor

To the 1999 team:
1) Linder
2) Ramsey
3) Campbell
To the 2017 team:
1. J.smooth
2. taylor
3. Brackens

Would be crazy to have brackens yannick and Campbell... insane pass rush even after rotation.

To 1999 team:
1) Ramsey
2) Campbell
3)Linder
(01-23-2018, 05:44 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]To the 2017 team:
1. J.smooth
2. taylor
3. Brackens

Would be crazy to have brackens yannick and Campbell... insane pass rush even after rotation.

To 1999 team:
1) Ramsey
2) Campbell
3)Linder

A DE rotation of Yannick, Campbell, Brackens and Fowler would, indeed, be sick.

Remember how TC would have all four DEs on the field at the same time?  Imagine those four on the field.

Taylor would also be a good fit here now.

Linder would be a good addition to that 99 team.  I imagine he would have more success against those tack DTs.

(01-23-2018, 05:25 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]To the 2017 team:
1) Brunell
2) Boselli
3) Taylor

To the 1999 team:
1) Linder
2) Ramsey
3) Campbell

If you added Boselli to this team, what do you do with Robinson?  Do you mive him inside or to RT?
Can we do this for the 2007 game with David Garrard?  I know that wasn't the Championship game but still.

Imagine if you could have any of the pass rushers in that game before Brady was fully established.  We wouldn't have ended up with the disaster follow on draft.

How about if we just had a sober Justin Blackmon or Jimmy Smith this year?

Edit:

Imagine what a fully capable Keenan would do in that last game instead of coaching.  Or a Kyle Brady (underrated Blocker and Pass Catcher).
(01-23-2018, 06:16 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Can we do this for the 2007 game with David Garrard?  I know that wasn't the Championship game but still.

Imagine if you could have any of the pass rushers in that game before Brady was fully established.  We wouldn't have ended up with the disaster follow on draft.

Edit:

Imagine what a fully capable Keenan would do in that last game instead of coaching.  Or a Kyle Brady (underrated Blocker and Pass Catcher).

Kyle Brady would certainly be a great addition, i didn't even think of that one.
From the 1996 team to the 2017 team: Mark Brunell
From the 1999 team to the 2017 team: Tony Bosselli
(For those of you who were wondering, I opted for the '96 mark as that was pre-ACL tear and he retained his scrambling ability, figured we'd get vintage Tony with either iteration)

from the 2017 team to the 1996 team: Jalen Ramsey
from the 2017 team to the 1999 team: Jalen Ramsey
(He's the best Cornerback ... scratch that BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER, the Jags have ever had, no offense to Rashean Mathis or Tony Brackens .. Having a shutdown CB like Ramsey who could also play FS or return kicks etc. might be that extra edge those teams need to get over the hump)
(01-23-2018, 06:16 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Can we do this for the 2007 game with David Garrard?  I know that wasn't the Championship game but still.

Edit:

If we were adding from that team, I'd add Rashean Mathis and put him in at FS over Gipson and have him defend on that 3rd and 18 pass.

Good observation about adding one or more of the pass rusher from this team onto that 2007 team.  Avoiding the disaster that was that 2008 draft would have been huge.

I'd considered a sober Blackmon on this team and shook my head in dismay over what he could have done for this team.

While I am not a huge fan of Brady the receiving TE, Brady the blocker would have been a big help for this year's team.  Imagine Brady and Lewis in 2 TE sets.
To the 2017 Team:
1) Tom Coughlin (Who called plays on Offense in 1999, so he would replace both Marrone and Hackett)
2) Jimmy Smith
3) Kennan McCardell

Our play calling lost us the game in 2017 more than anything.

To 1999 Team:
1) Jalen Ramsey
2) Myles Jack
3) Calais Cambell
I'll take whichever player on the current team that could have stopped McNair running (maybe Telvin Smith)

Throw Boselli on this team to block for Fournette
Brady was a Manimal

Oh Give me Greg Jones, Freddie T and Mojo from 2007 in any year.  Greg Jones was a total beast.
(01-23-2018, 08:38 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Brady was a Manimal

Oh Give me Greg Jones, Freddie T and Mojo from 2007 in any year.  Greg Jones was a total beast.

Absolutely.

I like Bohanon...but LOVED Greg Jones.

He was the best FB in team history, easily!
(01-23-2018, 08:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I'll take whichever player on the current team that could have stopped McNair running (maybe Telvin Smith)

Throw Boselli on this team to block for Fournette

I would say Jack before Telvin Smith.

Smith has the speed to keep up with McNair.  But McNair was a big strong guy, too. 

Jack has Smith's speed, but is bigger.
I’d love to see Meester under center again.
(01-23-2018, 07:26 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Edit:

If we were adding from that team, I'd add Rashean Mathis and put him in at FS over Gipson and have him defend on that 3rd and 18 pass.

Good observation about adding one or more of the pass rusher from this team onto that 2007 team.  Avoiding the disaster that was that 2008 draft would have been huge.

I'd considered a sober Blackmon on this team and shook my head in dismay over what he could have done for this team.

While I am not a huge fan of Brady the receiving TE, Brady the blocker would have been a big help for this year's team.  Imagine Brady and Lewis in 2 TE sets.
I was actually just thinking about this. We actually had that back in 06 and 07 I believe. No wonder we rushed for so many yards.
If you could combine the two teams no doubt we could beat anyone. The Jags actually have a pretty talented pool of players to pick from during the 3 eras.

(01-23-2018, 10:40 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]I’d love to see Meester under center again.

Thats funny considering people were trying to get him to retire for years. I assume more along the '07 version or 99?
fred
jimmy
keenan

bortles
ramsey
ngakue
From the 97 team, it has to be Jimmy. He would have forced other teams to double him which would open up things for the running game.
(01-24-2018, 12:44 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-23-2018, 07:26 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]If we were adding from that team, I'd add Rashean Mathis and put him in at FS over Gipson and have him defend on that 3rd and 18 pass.

I was actually just thinking about this. We actually had that back in 06 and 07 I believe. No wonder we rushed for so many yards.
If you could combine the two teams no doubt we could beat anyone. The Jags actually have a pretty talented pool of players to pick from during the 3 eras.

(01-23-2018, 10:40 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]I’d love to see Meester under center again.

Thats funny considering people were trying to get him to retire for years. I assume more along the '07 version or 99?
Meester was not on the'99 team.  He was drafted the year after.

(01-24-2018, 01:14 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]2017
fred
jimmy
keenan

bortles
ramsey
ngakue

So you think Bortles is an upgrade over Brunell?
Give me Jimmy Smith, we were hurting at WR all year and he would have really demanded an honest defense from the Patriots, and we would have been able to take advantage in both run and pass with him out there.

For 1999, I think Telvin Smith hands down. That would have made that defense even more impressive.
(01-24-2018, 01:14 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]2017
fred
jimmy
keenan

bortles
ramsey
ngakue

spacecoast, is that you?