Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL Coaches vote Wash Coordinator of Year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is going to chap some folks around here looking to lay blame and clean house.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagu...f-the-year
He earned it. Honestly this entire staff should be named coaching staff of the year after what they did with a team that was 3 - 13 last year. We should be drawing a ton of talent here now through the market. And then we have the draft as well. We very well could be playing in another Championship game a year from now.
Wash did well enough, though I hope he's more aggressive next year. Same for Hackett.
(01-24-2018, 03:28 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to chap some folks around here looking to lay blame and clean house.

Are there people here who want to clean house?
Deserved! Hope they make next year even better!
(01-24-2018, 04:09 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]Are there people here who want to clean house?

I don't want to clean house, but I wouldn't shed a tear if Hackett was gone, either.
(01-24-2018, 04:09 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2018, 03:28 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]This is going to chap some folks around here looking to lay blame and clean house.

If I were firing coordinators, Wash would be the last to go, but he needs to get better.
I don't think it's that great an accomplishment to take a defense composed of 13* Pro Bowl level players to #2.

* yes, that's an exaggeration, but the Jags defense had six players on the defense named to the Pro Bowl, and that doesn't include Darius, Jack, Poz, Church, Gipson, Fowler, or Colvin. All of them are above average players too. Darius, Gipson, and Poz have even been in the Pro Bowl in the past.
(01-24-2018, 05:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's that great an accomplishment to take a defense composed of 13* Pro Bowl level players to #2.

* yes, that's an exaggeration, but the Jags defense had six players on the defense named to the Pro Bowl, and that doesn't include Darius, Jack, Poz, Church, Gipson, Fowler, or Colvin. All of them are above average players too. Darius, Gipson, and Poz have even been in the Pro Bowl in the past.

And on top of that, not trusting those guys in man on 3rd and 18.
(01-24-2018, 04:09 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]

Apparently you have not read the plethora of blame threads. I'll let you venture down that rabbit hole on your own.
(01-24-2018, 05:45 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2018, 05:44 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it's that great an accomplishment to take a defense composed of 13* Pro Bowl level players to #2.

And on top of that, not trusting those guys in man on 3rd and 18.

I'm still shaking my head at the decision to call just one blitz in the 4th quarter, and then abandon blitzing after it was successful. It reminds me of Babich against the tinhorns in 2016.
Oh, here's a quote from Ramsey at the Pro Bowl (from Jaxon's link). Says it all.

Quote:Ramsey also was asked how the Eagles should go about beating the Patriots.

"Play man, put some pressure on him [Patriots quarterback Tom Brady], mix it up,” Ramsey said before adding, “I don't know because we didn't beat them. I don't know.”
Wash is deserving.

Why he (they) went to as much zone as they did in that last game and a few others this year is a mystery, but he led a really good defensive roster to a really good season and a solid playoff run.
(01-24-2018, 06:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Wash is deserving.  

Why he (they) went to as much zone as they did in that last game and a few others this year is a mystery, but he led a really good defensive roster to a really good season and a solid playoff run.

That is a head scratcher, but hopefully they learn from their mistakes.
Todd Wash did the right thing against the Pats. Tom Brady is the best ever. It doesn't matter if it's zone or man. He will get the ball there and will pick you apart. If not he is sure gonna try and get that P.I. flag. You have to keep the plays in front of you if you're Jax and do everything to make sure when it's crunch time at 4th and goal they're settling with 3 because your defense is fast as hell and the field is much shorter to work with. When it comes down to it we played to conservative offensively at points. I said after the Myles Jack recovery if we don't score on this drive it's probably game. You have to put up points there. I believe we also punted at 4th and 2 at one point and we should've gone for it. I think defensively we played it right. We just didn't take enough chances that we did to help us win the first 2 playoff games.
Really the only gripes we should have on defense was the now infamous 3rd and 18, and the last drive by the Patriots where they let the 3rd down run get a first down to prevent our offense from having another shot. Other than that I'd venture to say they did quite well in limiting Brady's point total. At the end of the day, the only guaranteed success against Brady and Co. is to be up two scores when he's driving down the field one last time.
(01-24-2018, 07:13 PM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]Todd Wash did the right thing against the Pats. Tom Brady is the best ever. It doesn't matter if it's zone or man. He will get the ball there and will pick you apart. If not he is sure gonna try and get that P.I. flag. You have to keep the plays in front of you if you're Jax and do everything to make sure when it's crunch time at 4th and goal they're settling with 3 because your defense is fast as hell and the field is much shorter to work with. When it comes down to it we played to conservative offensively at points. I said after the Myles Jack recovery if we don't score on this drive it's probably game. You have to put up points there. I believe we also punted at 4th and 2 at one point and we should've gone for it. I think defensively we played it right. We just didn't take enough chances that we did to help us win the first 2 playoff games.

Will never be as good as Joe Montana. He never cried to the refs.
(01-25-2018, 04:51 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2018, 07:13 PM)haveaseat Wrote: [ -> ]Todd Wash did the right thing against the Pats. Tom Brady is the best ever. It doesn't matter if it's zone or man. He will get the ball there and will pick you apart. If not he is sure gonna try and get that P.I. flag. You have to keep the plays in front of you if you're Jax and do everything to make sure when it's crunch time at 4th and goal they're settling with 3 because your defense is fast as hell and the field is much shorter to work with. When it comes down to it we played to conservative offensively at points. I said after the Myles Jack recovery if we don't score on this drive it's probably game. You have to put up points there. I believe we also punted at 4th and 2 at one point and we should've gone for it. I think defensively we played it right. We just didn't take enough chances that we did to help us win the first 2 playoff games.

Will never be as good as Joe Montana. He never cried to the refs.

Okay I know we are salty over the loss cause of the questionable calls and 'no-calls' mostly going to the pats, but Tom Brady can't be as good as Joe Montana, because he would have to go back in time and regress. Brady is better than Montana, its part of the reason he beat us. Other QB's don't bring their team back down 10 in a playoff game against a D as good as ours.
Whoever is the coordinator of Minnesota deserved that award which I didn’t even knew they did. Now the Vikings got smoked in the NFC Championship game but this was for the regular season and they didn’t match up with this talent we have at all positions. We had the most talented defense in the league that virtually stayed healthy outside of one person for two games the whole year and should’ve been ranked number one in every defensive category. But we weren’t and to me were terrible against the run. That raw talent did more of the heavy lifting than a scheme did that’s for sure. Can only hope they learn from this year and stay aggressive on both sides of the ball next year but ain’t no telling.
(01-26-2018, 07:05 AM)P. Haze Wrote: [ -> ]Whoever is the coordinator of Minnesota deserved that award which I didn’t even knew they did. Now the Vikings got smoked in the NFC Championship game but this was for the regular season and they didn’t match up with this talent we have at all positions. We had the most talented defense in the league that virtually stayed healthy outside of one person for two games the whole year and should’ve been ranked number one in every defensive category. But we weren’t and to me were terrible against the run. That raw talent did more of the heavy lifting than a scheme did that’s for sure. Can only hope they learn from this year and stay aggressive on both sides of the ball next year but ain’t no telling.

The NFL coaches voted on this.  You don't think the coaches would know who the best coordinator is?
Pages: 1 2