Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: An observation on the Jags offense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll just say from the beginning, I'm not a student of the game. I do enjoy watching and do understand many aspects of the game but I'm not a deep X's and O's guy. The Jags are my favorite team but being from Massachusetts my second team is obviously the Pats.

My one observation when watching the Jags v watching the Pats is their use of some offensive players. In particular the tight end. The Pats seem to use their TE's in a far more active role in the overall offensive scheme where as we rarely send them out to catch a pass or scheme plays with them. We seem to use them primarily as a blocking TE. Am I mistaken in my opinion? If I am correct is there a reason, like our O line is so suspect that we need to keep the TE home to provide additional protection for the QB?

We'd probably use a TE more if we had a freak like Gronkowski.
Quote:I'll just say from the beginning, I'm not a student of the game. I do enjoy watching and do understand many aspects of the game but I'm not a deep X's and O's guy. The Jags are my favorite team but being from Massachusetts my second team is obviously the Pats.

My one observation when watching the Jags v watching the Pats is their use of some offensive players. In particular the tight end. The Pats seem to use their TE's in a far more active role in the overall offensive scheme where as we rarely send them out to catch a pass or scheme plays with them. We seem to use them primarily as a blocking TE. Am I mistaken in my opinion? If I am correct is there a reason, like our O line is so suspect that we need to keep the TE home to provide additional protection for the QB?

I don't know. Marcedes is more of a blocker but he's often downfield run blocking. On passing downs it depend on the situation. However, Julius Thomas was constantly running routes... they just hardly went his way this past season prompting his trade to MIami.

Example.

Julius Thomas with Manning =24 tds in 2 years.

With Bortles = 8 in 2 years.

It's all about the qb
Quote:Example.

It's all about the qb
Stop being short-sighted and please put all information in Contexts. Julius Thomas was injured while playing here and when he was in Denver he was healthy for the most part. However, we all agreed that Peyton Manning is better than Blake Bortles so I hope it make you feel better and warm and fuzzy inside.
Simple, we haven't had a quality pass catching tight end since Kyle freaking Brady. JT was supposed to be that cog but it never materialized.

I was wondering if it is the coach's offensive scheme, lack of talent or QB just not going that way. It seems in NE the TE is a very integral part of the passing game. Here, almost never. I agree and thanks for reminding me of Brady. He was back when Caughlin was HC and he had some soft hands as I recall. Even back then I didn't think they used him enough. He always seemed to catch the ball when it was thrown his way. I used to scream at the tv why aren't they throwing to him more often.

It's all about the qb

Julius Thomas with Peyton 245 lbs

Julius Thomas with Bortles 285 lbs
Quote:Simple, we haven't had a quality pass catching tight end since Kyle freaking Brady. JT was supposed to be that cog but it never materialized.

You could create similar hyperbole for the qb position as well
Quote:Julius Thomas with Peyton 245 lbs

Julius Thomas with Bortles 285 lbs
Which makes you wonder if this was requested of him, to beef up, or if this was just a vacation for him?
Quote:Which makes you wonder if this was requested of him, to beef up, or if this was just a vacation for him?

It was all the post game Ice cream parties.

I can't believe I just did an ice cream joke.
New OC.  New playbook.  New scheme for TE.  
I stopped reading at " My 2nd team "

It's all about the qb
9353 posts, this might be the dumbest!