Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Any Florida panhandle experts here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not from Florida so I turn to you all. I know you are much further away in Jacksonville but my wife and I are looking at going to a beach somewhere on the Florida Panhandle for vacation at the end of April. As a kid, I've been numerous times to Destin, Fort Walton, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Perdido Key, etc. but I'm having a hard time remembering what I liked etc. Someone mentioned to me that the water and beaches are a little nicer when you go further east and I think I recall that. But we don't want to drive too super far east either.

So I'm trying to pick a city...I was hoping to get advice from any of you that have been this far west and recommendations. Obviously my wife and I want some things to do (commercial wise) but also not too touristy, if that makes sense. We like low key as well but as long as we have a grocery store to shop at, etc.

Very open to suggestions! Looking to stay around 5 nights or so.

Thanks!
Rosemary beach is a great place to stay, don’t know if it’s too far for you. Where ever you go, just remember it’s probably also going to be spring break, so plan accordingly unless you want to be surrounded by frat bros.
Thanks for the reply Bchbunnie. From a Google search it looks like Rosemary Beach is only 45 minutes east of Destin so yeah that could be a possibility, never heard of it. But thank you for the suggestion.

We are coming from the Tennessee area so probably don't want to go to far east to make the drive longer. I forgot about the Spring Break thing too...I was hoping that wouldn't be the case at the end of April but yeah maybe so lol.
(03-07-2018, 12:44 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Where ever you go, just remember it’s probably also going to be spring break, so plan accordingly unless you want to be surrounded by frat bros.

Like some sort of, um, beach...bunny.
(03-07-2018, 01:52 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2018, 12:44 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Where ever you go, just remember it’s probably also going to be spring break, so plan accordingly unless you want to be surrounded by frat bros.

Like some sort of, um, beach...bunny.

I speak from experience! Wink
(03-07-2018, 12:29 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not from Florida so I turn to you all. I know you are much further away in Jacksonville but my wife and I are looking at going to a beach somewhere on the Florida Panhandle for vacation at the end of April. As a kid, I've been numerous times to Destin, Fort Walton, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Perdido Key, etc. but I'm having a hard time remembering what I liked etc. Someone mentioned to me that the water and beaches are a little nicer when you go further east and I think I recall that. But we don't want to drive too super far east either.

So I'm trying to pick a city...I was hoping to get advice from any of you that have been this far west and recommendations. Obviously my wife and I want some things to do (commercial wise) but also not too touristy, if that makes sense. We like low key as well but as long as we have a grocery store to shop at, etc.

Thanks!

Now I am not sure about the panhandle, cause I have only been to Panama beach there, and one other a hour away from Tally. But the best beach I have ever been to (prettiest anyway) was Venice Beach Florida. Thats down below Tampa, but it was better than either Panama or w/e that beach I used to drive to from Tally.
(03-07-2018, 12:29 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not from Florida so I turn to you all. I know you are much further away in Jacksonville but my wife and I are looking at going to a beach somewhere on the Florida Panhandle for vacation at the end of April. As a kid, I've been numerous times to Destin, Fort Walton, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Perdido Key, etc. but I'm having a hard time remembering what I liked etc. Someone mentioned to me that the water and beaches are a little nicer when you go further east and I think I recall that. But we don't want to drive too super far east either.

Thanks!

Depends on what you're looking for. We really used to like Cedar Key because it was very much an old Florida vibe but I heard that they got pretty decimated since the last hurricane and we haven't been out there in about 3 or 4 years so not sure what it's like now.  My wife's family has a condo in Orange Beach and we've been there a few times. Very crowded, very commercial, not really my thing but it is definitely what a lot of people like when it comes to a vacation spot on the gulf.

We like Sanibel Island too although that's another situation where we haven't been there in a while. It's near Fort Meyers.