Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fraternities/Sororities...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK through total ignorance to the mentioned topic.. what is the deal with these?

We don't have them as much as you guys do, if at all.. so I'm intrigued as to what they actually are/do?

From what you see on the TV Shows and Movies, they look to just be a load of rich arrogant kids living at University/College on their rich parents money striving to be popular at any means necessary and negating the existence of those not in a Fraternity or Sorority.. but I'm not too ignorant to believe that this is the sole objective.

I've had a read on Wikipedia, but I still don't really understand, so I come here to ask your opinions/experiences with them to gauge a better understanding.

At one point, I thought it was similar to being a Freemason!
First, what’s the secret handshake?
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3722718]
Ok everyone, he’s safe to talk to.

The original intent of Greek life is to act as social clubs for burgeoning adults, and then in turn to establish networking contacts in the working world after graduation. Animal House changed all that.
Just go look up "Penn State fraternity death".

Like most things American, we take something good and pour crappy beer all over it until it rots.
(03-08-2018, 08:40 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Ok everyone, he’s safe to talk to.

The original intent of Greek life is to act as social clubs for burgeoning adults, and then in turn to establish networking contacts in the working world after graduation. Animal House changed all that.

(03-08-2018, 08:59 AM)Deacon Wrote: [ -> ]Just go look up "Penn State fraternity death".

Like most things American, we take something good and pour crappy beer all over it until it rots.

Noted, thanks guys.. It all just seems like one big party.. but then my experience of it is through movies.

Deacon, wow that's scary!
It's a way to buy friends at college.
I was in a fraternity. It was a cool way to live in a group house (30 people) that hosted parties at 5pm Thursday, 10pm Friday, and 12 midnight on Saturday. Great way to bond with people of common interest and meet (staying clean here) an endless amount of females. Keg on tap 24/7 which was a benefit of bringing in a ton of $$ by charging $2 entry fee to the parties ($1 for females).

Everything has changed these days with social media and posting pics so I'm kind of glad my 4 years there are stored away deep in the washed up brain cells of our counterparts.
(03-08-2018, 10:50 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I was in a fraternity.  It was a cool way to live in a group house (30 people) that hosted parties at 5pm Thursday, 10pm Friday, and 12 midnight on Saturday.   Great way to bond with people of common interest and meet (staying clean here) an endless amount of females.  Keg on tap 24/7 which was a benefit of bringing in a ton of $$ by charging $2 entry fee to the parties ($1 for females).

Everything has changed these days with social media and posting pics so I'm kind of glad my 4 years there are stored away deep in the washed up brain cells of our counterparts.

Ditto... and agreed.

And to add to that, it's a way to learn how to be part of an organization and be responsible - that what you put into life is what you get out.  Some members are leeches and take more than give.  But those who learn how to give learn that they get even more back in return.

Same goes for anything you do or any organization you are part of in life.

I was a little of both at times back then.
(03-08-2018, 09:34 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]It's a way to buy friends at college.

I think fraternities are stupid, but I never saw it as buying friends.  I always saw "dues" as the cost of running the club.  I always had to pay a fee to play club soccer and basketball and no one would say that was buying friends.  Again though, I think they are stupid and probably outdated.
(03-08-2018, 01:48 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2018, 09:34 AM)Monty Wrote: [ -> ]It's a way to buy friends at college.

I think fraternities are stupid, but I never saw it as buying friends.  I always saw "dues" as the cost of running the club.  I always had to pay a fee to play club soccer and basketball and no one would say that was buying friends.  Again though, I think they are stupid and probably outdated.

It's certainly not buying friends, that's quite a shallow take (but not an uncommon one.)

I also wouldn't call it stupid.  But in the same breath, I'm not sure I would join one today if I were a college student.  Networking in today's world is much, much easier and fraternities have mostly outgrown their usefulness in some regards.  Mine was really cheap at the time since our house was already owned and there wasn't a lot of overhead.  Now, they're so highly regulated and many, if not all are forced to be on-campus that there's not much to differentiate them other than traditions.
Our membership fee was very cheap in the 1980's. Living in the fraternity house was also cheaper than sharing an apartment.

These days, they have an extensive membership fee with mandated meal plans which could set one back ~ $5,000 per year. In comparison, I think I paid ~ $500 per year and my meal plan was pretty much limited to $1 per day which included 2 boxes of mac and cheese or 2 loaded hot dogs from the local convenient store in which one could put 5 lbs of chili and nacho cheese on a dog and just be another college kid doing what everyone else does.

Intramural sports competitions also took on a different perspective when you go up against rival fraternities then drink with them after a win or loss.
Jealous that Ireland didn't have any...but it's probably for the best.
(03-08-2018, 02:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Jealous that Ireland didn't have any...but it's probably for the best.

What are you talking about.  Ireland, as a whole, is one big fraternity (party) ... lol
(03-08-2018, 05:37 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2018, 02:59 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Jealous that Ireland didn't have any...but it's probably for the best.

What are you talking about.  Ireland, as a whole, is one big fraternity (party) ... lol

In a way, but college wise its mostly limited to sports teams. If there were actual  organised frats in college I think things would get messy quick.
(03-08-2018, 09:48 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-08-2018, 05:37 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]What are you talking about.  Ireland, as a whole, is one big fraternity (party) ... lol

In a way, but college wise its mostly limited to sports teams. If there were actual  organised frats in college I think things would get messy quick.

Hooliganism is more than just a way of life.  Smile
I'm a Phi Beta Kappa. It's an academic honor fraternity.
(03-09-2018, 06:13 PM)Dakota Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a Phi Beta Kappa. It's an academic honor fraternity.

Tongue

https://youtu.be/RlBr2fyqn9g
its a cult that tries to teach brotherhood/sisterhood made up of people who were recruited because some frat bro/chick didn't think they had friends and they cost money to join.