Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Current Salary cap situation/ Ideas for handling the future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanted to break down the salary cap and toss around few ideas for what we could do or possibly see coming in the near future. This entire AR15 deal(or lack there of) had me a little upset until i looked into our salary cap situation. I  once i really got an idea of how the roll over cap and the anticipated inflation of the cap works, it became a little more clear to me. At least IMO, in the case of AR15, we really are in no position to sign a guy for 10-16 mil if you consider the impact it will have on next years signings and the years to come. I wanted to get a few ideas from you guys that were based on more than just this up and coming FA/draft period.

Most of my Info for the cap situation comes from over the cap
[/url]
Total cap Liabilities: 179,143,129

Top 51 players cap hits for 2018: 171,361,992

Cap room including the rollover from last year: 35,451,537( most of which is roll over cap room that will not be awarded to us next season)

I have seen differing numbers for what we have as far as cap space but this is just from the link i gave you. My points remain the same regardless.
[url=https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/]

If you want to see every players salary click on the link above. These are some guys i singled out that i felt were key players or young players that felt would have the biggest impact on the cap.

Name/Final year of current contract/current age/cap hit in final year

Dante Fowler/2018/23/7.47mil

Jaylen Ramsey/2019/23/7.4mil

Myles Jack/2019/23/2.0mil

Yannick Ngakoue/23/1.0mil

Keelan Cole/2019/24/.64mil

Calais Campbell/2020/31/17.5mil(probably retire at the end of contract)

Dede Westbrook/2020/24/.9mil

Leonard fournette/2020/22/7.47

Cam Robinson/2020/22/2.23

Allen Hurns/2020/25/9.65

Teshaun Gipson/2020/27/9.3(will be 30 for next contract)

Barry Church/2020//30/6.75(may retire)

Blake Bortles/2020//25/23.00

Marcell Dareus/2021/27/14.65

Malick Jackson/2021/28/13.75(will be 32 for next contract)

Telvin Smith/2021/26/11.06(will be 30 for next contract)

AJ Bouye/2021/26/15.5

I put every thing in this order so you can get an idea for guys we should make top priority for resigning because of age compared to guys we will likely not have to worry about resigning because they are likely on their last contract like cambell and church.

After looking at this, IMO, there is essentially nothing we can do this season as far as new FA signings that not hurt our cap next season with out making more cuts to the roster.

I then looked at the people we could likely cut to give us cap room and i came up with two key names who are effecting the cap a little heavier than others- Dareus and Hurns. Unfortunately after looking at these guys cap hits, DC actually structured them to hit late in Dareus' case where we only take  10 mil hit this season but the big 14mil pay outs dont come until 2020(after we have to sign JR,MJ, YN), or in hurns' case his contract goes up 1 mil every year and is over in 2020.

The highest guy Campbell will likely retire at the end of his 17.5mil per year contract so there is not a ton to gain by cutting him in 2019.

IMO, the 2020 offseason will be huge because we will need to resign 3 very key players in Ramsey, Jack, and Ngakoue one of which(yannick) is getting payed next to nothing right now so will see a dramatic shift in the cap when he signs his new deal because he will likely recive near what campbell makes now(15-17mil) after making only 1mil the year prior. Jaylen will likely take the position top pay which is 17 currently(after making 7.4 in year prior and jack will likely take close to top of his position pay if he continues to improve which is

Another point this made consider was 2020 will probably be the year we trade or cut Dareus which will open a hole at NT/3techDT. I started looking into this years draft for possible replacement or guys we could start to groom and realized this sort of a down year for DL. The upside of that is that i feel we can take a guy who may be near the top of position in this years stock in mid to later round. Guys like Da'ron Payne could slide to us as replacements for Dareus in the upcoming years which would be huge cap savings. Everyone has been fixed on talking about QB's or WR's in this draft i figured i would take a different angle and see what you guys thought.

Anyways, hope this was helped to some. I want to see if anyone else had a few ideas for the next few years. Actually having a successful team that requires us pay players is making us have to look at our jags in a whole new light i haven't had to see in almost a decade.

GO JAGS!!!!
What an excellent post.  Very, very good.

One opinion I would add- to me, Ramsey is the easiest one to handle.   A superstar like that is always going to be worth more than the 5th year option salary, and more than the franchise tag salary.   So that puts the Jags in a very strong position, because we can pick up the 5th year option for 2020 and then franchise him for 2021.   So I see absolutely no danger of losing Ramsey until 2022 at the earliest.   We hold all the cards in his case, ironically because he is so good that he's worth the 5th year option and the franchise tag after that.
(03-10-2018, 08:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]What an excellent post.  Very, very good.

Figured i'd toss around something slightly different from the AR15 replacement threads which we currently have about 25 of now.

(03-10-2018, 08:38 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]What an excellent post.  Very, very good.

One opinion I would add- to me, Ramsey is the easiest one to handle.   A superstar like that is always going to be worth more than the 5th year option salary, and more than the franchise tag salary.   So that puts the Jags in a very strong position, because we can pick up the 5th year option for 2020 and then franchise him for 2021.   So I see absolutely no danger of losing Ramsey until 2022 at the earliest.   We hold all the cards in his case, ironically because he is so good that he's worth the 5th year option and the franchise tag after that.

I agree completely. I think he will be a staple for a while. the other great thing is Bouye is under contract until 2022 as well so really don't have to stress outside CB's for a while. Another angle that i considered in Ramsey's case is that even after he gets up there in age, he could be a guy we could slide to Saftey if we find other CB's. He has the size and I watched that guy ball out at FSU playing saftey so he is no stranger to the position. I'm hoping he has a lengthy stay here in DUVAL.

(03-10-2018, 11:48 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]Ramsey will command 20mil plus a year when it's time to sign, so the fifth year option and one franchise tag seems highly likely imo.
From your break down it appears the easiest thing to do would be to eaither cut Dareus or Jackson or both to free up space for Jack and Yannick at the end of 2019. Their play will dictate who would be worthy of sticking around. Another option that we have is restructuring contracts. I’m not a capologist so I’m not familiar with the process but the team would have leaverage due to how they structure contracts. Then can accelerate some future money into guarenteed money now to ease the cap hit in later years. Idzik will figure it out I’m sure of it.

Another thing we have in our favor is the draft. This team hase basically been on fire in the draft since 2014. If a player like Smoot takes the next step it could render a guy like Campbell expendable (crazy I know lol). Another chunk would also be if they find a qb they deem better than Bortles in the next draft or two. Now I don’t want to turn this into a Blake bashing post. I’m in support of keeping him for the foreseeable future but part of the reason we acquired so much talent is due to him making 3 million the past few years. His 18 million cap hit (although really low in terms of his slotting) still takes up a sizeable chunk of money. Doing due diligence and finding that upgrade at a fraction of his salary would go a long way in restructuring contracts and handing out new deals. On the other hand if he’s earning his money it prolly means we are winning more and he’s covering up for some deficiencies at other spots so it’s a wash.
Nice post. I am in agreement that the Jags need to be very conservative in free agency beginning next week. This team almost got to the Super Bowl so why screw around with the salary cap by bringing in guys like Norwell, Pugh, Watkins, etc. This team can no longer make big-splash signings like they successfully did last year. That is the "price" of success and, although free-agency will be kind of "boring" to Jaguars' fans next week that's the way we should like it. My hope is that they find a way to keep Colvin and sign Trey Burton for a moderate amount. These 2 signings should not have a major impact on the cap, especially considering the alternatives like Cousins or Norwell. Any other signings should be very inexpensive such as a veteran wide-receiver. With a philosophy like this, they should be able to keep their "window" open for at least 3-5 years.
(03-10-2018, 12:01 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]Nice post. I am in agreement that the Jags need to be very conservative in free agency beginning next week. This team almost got to the Super Bowl so why screw around with the salary cap by bringing in guys like Norwell, Pugh, Watkins, etc. This team can no longer make big-splash signings like they successfully did last year. That is the "price" of success and, although free-agency will be kind of "boring" to Jaguars' fans next week that's the way we should like it. My hope is that they find a way to keep Colvin and sign Trey Burton for a moderate amount. These 2 signings should not have a major impact on the cap, especially considering the alternatives like Cousins or Norwell. Any other signings should be very inexpensive such as a veteran wide-receiver. With a philosophy like this, they should be able to keep their "window" open for at least 3-5 years.

We are on the same page. Another situation that my buddy was talking about was bringing in a guy like Demarco Murray. Since he is a little long in the tooth you don't have to structure a long deal. Maybe 2 year front loaded so we can utilize the 30mil roll over cap that we will not see next year and at the same time we could cut him next off-season to save the cap. He would be a pretty good back up to Leonard if he stays healthy. And if he doesn't stay healthy, who cares we would have lost the money anyway. I think those are types of FA we are going to have to get used to seeing. Doubt we will see too many more Bouye/jackson Young guy signings.

I think another thing we have going for us, as far as keeping the window open, is that between Jack, Ramsey, and Ngakoue, we essentially have a probowl caliber young gun at every level of D as far as DL,LB,DB. Pay them and keep developing there surroundings thru the draft.
The real implication of our cap is the draft becomes THAT much more important because that’s where you get cheap talent. It’ll be a lot harder to get the Bouye’s, so you have to be that much better in the draft to keep a fresh level of top talent
I'd cut Cambell, Dareus, and Hurns in 2019 or restructure if possible, and only sign Jimmy Graham in Free agency... rollover, front loaded of course.
Linder could also be traded to someone like Gus Bradley and the Chargers. The only guaranteed money left on his contract is this year's salary, meaning we could trade him and take 0 dead money and save $9.5 million.
I would rather have Pugh than Colvin but I would like the Burton signing
(03-10-2018, 02:19 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]Linder could also be traded to someone like Gus Bradley and the Chargers.  The only guaranteed money left on his contract is this year's salary, meaning we could trade him and take 0 dead money and save $9.5 million.

Trade our best olineman, brilliant
(03-10-2018, 10:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2018, 02:19 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]Linder could also be traded to someone like Gus Bradley and the Chargers.  The only guaranteed money left on his contract is this year's salary, meaning we could trade him and take 0 dead money and save $9.5 million.

Trade our best olineman, brilliant

I only said that it is an option based on his contract and if we needed to free up money in a pinch.

But carry on being offended by taking comments out of context.
(03-11-2018, 08:33 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2018, 10:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Trade our best olineman, brilliant

I only said that it is an option based on his contract and if we needed to free up money in a pinch.

I understand your point. But i don't necessarily think a beneficial way of doing this it to create another gaping hole. If we had someone in place to play a stop gap or we groomed someone to take Linder's  place, then i would say absolutely but to free up money for players by cutting some guys you have already payed and have earned it sort of seems like one step forward and two steps back.

Positions like WR and CB have multiple starting slots and equal amounts of back ups so it generally seems easier to find a place holder if you lose one. Oline doesn't strike me as one of those positional groups.
(03-11-2018, 09:48 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2018, 08:33 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: [ -> ]I only said that it is an option based on his contract and if we needed to free up money in a pinch.

I understand your point. But i don't necessarily think a beneficial way of doing this it to create another gaping hole. If we had someone in place to play a stop gap or we groomed someone to take Linder's  place, then i would say absolutely but to free up money for players by cutting some guys you have already payed and have earned it sort of seems like one step forward and two steps back.

Positions like WR and CB have multiple starting slots and equal amounts of back ups so it generally seems easier to find a place holder if you lose one. Oline doesn't strike me as one of those positional groups.

Not that I'm necessarily advocating it or not, but it's not a roster cut. I think Linder would probably fetch a 3rd rounder which could be used to draft a much cheaper replacement center like Frank Ragnow on a 4 year contract. This is just an example. Something similar could be done if we were to have trouble freeing enough money to sign our core players like Ramsey, Ngakoue, and Jack.
I am curious if the Jags will try to address some of the monster contracts using this seasons 'extra' cap. But I guess that isn't the point, those contracts were made for the players to be cut or renegotiate later, and that is probably what will happen.
How much money towards the cap was gained from the cutting of Ivory and the retirement of Poz?
Just curious.
I know that it is still early and there are a lot of moving parts right now, but I cannot believe the moves the Jags are making. I'm very happy, but worried long term 2-3 years down the road.
If we cut Hurns and Nortman we would have 2.083 mil

That's with me saying Norwell makes 14
Lee makes 9.5
Moncreif at 6