Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com Best and Worst Free Agent Signngs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ds-the-way

Under best...

Quote:Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jaguars tight end: It's rare to find a 25-year-old in free agency with a Pro Bowl ceiling, but that's what Seferian-Jenkins represents for the Jaguars at the cost of $10 million over two seasons. After losing wideout Allen Robinson in free agency, the Jags' front office rebounded well by furnishing Blake Bortles with fine low-cost pass catchers like Seferian-Jenkins and Donte Moncrief.

It sure would be nice if he reached his pro bowl potential as a Jaguar.  It's been far too long since we've had Pro Bowl caliber receiving performance from the TE position.

Strangely under worst...

Quote:Practically every big-ticket offensive line signing: Supply and demand was a problem for teams in need of offensive linemen. The market forced the Giants to pay Nate Solder starting quarterback money despite Solder never having made a Pro Bowl. It forced the Browns to give Chris Hubbard, a super sub in Pittsburgh, quality starter money.
The Bucs made Ryan Jensen the highest-paid center in football despite him making all of 16 starts at center in his career, all in 2017. (The Ravens never viewed Jensen as more than a backup in his five seasons, elevating him to a starter only because of injuries.) Former Giants Weston Richburg and Justin Pugh were both paid like stars despite serious injury concerns.
Some of these moves will work out, but history says that most will not. Offensive lines are mysterious beasts, with coaching, cohesion and continuity often playing a bigger role than talent. Teams are essentially paying a premium in free agency for failing to draft and develop linemen, ponying up exorbitant prices for players that previous teams believed were expendable.

He says "practically,"but omits specific mention of the Norwell signing.

Does that mean he puts the Norwell signing under the worst category or not?
I think we were under strict orders to boycott all things Gregg Rosenthal after he omitted Bortles from his top 32 QBs in the league list last week.
(03-20-2018, 09:24 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ds-the-way

Under best...

Quote:Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jaguars tight end: It's rare to find a 25-year-old in free agency with a Pro Bowl ceiling, but that's what Seferian-Jenkins represents for the Jaguars at the cost of $10 million over two seasons. After losing wideout Allen Robinson in free agency, the Jags' front office rebounded well by furnishing Blake Bortles with fine low-cost pass catchers like Seferian-Jenkins and Donte Moncrief.

It sure would be nice if he reached his pro bowl potential as a Jaguar.  It's been far too long since we've had Pro Bowl caliber receiving performance from the TE position.

Strangely under worst...

Quote:Practically every big-ticket offensive line signing: Supply and demand was a problem for teams in need of offensive linemen. The market forced the Giants to pay Nate Solder starting quarterback money despite Solder never having made a Pro Bowl. It forced the Browns to give Chris Hubbard, a super sub in Pittsburgh, quality starter money.
The Bucs made Ryan Jensen the highest-paid center in football despite him making all of 16 starts at center in his career, all in 2017. (The Ravens never viewed Jensen as more than a backup in his five seasons, elevating him to a starter only because of injuries.) Former Giants Weston Richburg and Justin Pugh were both paid like stars despite serious injury concerns.
Some of these moves will work out, but history says that most will not. Offensive lines are mysterious beasts, with coaching, cohesion and continuity often playing a bigger role than talent. Teams are essentially paying a premium in free agency for failing to draft and develop linemen, ponying up exorbitant prices for players that previous teams believed were expendable.

I think what he's saying is that all OL signings were bad because they were all overpaid (including Norwell.)

Not sure the Jaguars really care.  They paid what they had to to land their guy.

Not sure I really care, either.  Free agency = "overpaid"  You do what you can.
(03-20-2018, 10:07 AM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 09:24 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ds-the-way

Under best...

Strangely under worst...

I think what he's saying is that all OL signings were bad because they were all overpaid (including Norwell.)

Not sure the Jaguars really care.  They paid what they had to to land their guy.

Not sure I really care, either.  Free agency = "overpaid"  You do what you can.

But I'm not sure at all that's what he's saying. 

He mentioned Solder because Solder never made the Pro Bowl.

He mentioned the next guy because he was a sub getting starter's money.

He mentioned Pugh and Richburgh's deals as being bad due to injury concerns.

Norwell made first team All Pro and, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't have an extensive injury history.  But he also never made the Pro Bowl, either.
Of all the "overpaid" OL, and again - I think they are all overpaid, I believe we got the best "value" (paid the least for the most in an overpaid market.)

He's making a blanket statement. That covers everybody. Some much more than others.

Norwell is part of that, but not solely representative of the bigger generalization he's making.

It wasn't necessarily the best writing for sure.

IMO, when he says "worst" he's talking strictly about the deals, not the quality of players.
I don’t see a problem in making the best guard in 2017 the highest paid guard lol

I thought that was how it should work
(03-20-2018, 11:23 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t see a problem in making the best guard in 2017 the highest paid guard lol

Yeah, especially when he is an All Pro in his prime years.
(03-20-2018, 11:24 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 11:23 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t see a problem in making the best guard in 2017 the highest paid guard lol

Yeah, especially when he is an All Pro in his prime years.

Exactly.  I’m thinking we were omitted because this was the only one that made sense. We actually made the best guard the highest paid guy. Players like Soldier and Pugh got top 2 money but aren’t considered top 2 guys. We actually got the value of the contract and player to match.
Sure gets me more excited about the potential of ASJ