Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars.com - Zone Reaction: Lewis, Hurns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OFFICIAL: Hurns, Lewis released

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-Jagu...8c745edba3

Jaguars release WR Allen Hurns and TE Marcedes Lewis; Lewis, a first-round selection in the 2006 NFL Draft, was team’s most-tenured player
Zone Reaction: Lewis, Hurns

http://prod.www.jaguars.clubs.nfl.com/ne...95e4ed39c7

Senior writer John Oehser's four thoughts on Tuesday's news that the Jaguars have released veteran TE Marcedes Lewis and veteran WR Allen Hurns
We knew the day would come when well known players would fall to the competitive direction of the team, but dang it feels weird.
I think most Jaguars fans would say they agree with the decision to let these two go.

But the way the departures have been handled just seems messy and disrespectful.

I guess the argument will be that if we keep winning, we shouldn’t care, but I think we should.

And the way these moves were dragged out (and the u-turn on the Lewis extension) does make you wonder if the front office are in total control here.

Pretty sure they wanted a trade with Hurns (he has said he expected one) and failed to get one.
(03-20-2018, 02:33 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]We knew the day would come when well known players would fall to the competitive direction of the team, but dang it feels weird.

In what way was their release due to competitive reasoning? This is nothing like that. Caldwell is dumping talent to AVOID stimulating the kind of competition necessary for athletes to thrive in. 

You can't say the Jaguars have improved their competitiveness since there is none.

Should have. Could have. Would have. All on paper. No basis in reality.
(03-20-2018, 03:44 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 02:33 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]We knew the day would come when well known players would fall to the competitive direction of the team, but dang it feels weird.

In what way was their release due to competitive reasoning? This is nothing like that. Caldwell is dumping talent to AVOID stimulating the kind of competition necessary for athletes to thrive in.

You can't say the Jaguars have improved their competitiveness since there is none.

What? I know you may be new here and perhaps to Jags football or football in general, but you always aim to improve the roster. It's a business and loyalty from either side only goes so far. The Jags have been pushing this for the last decade. Marcedes had two, maybe three good years here and became a one trick pony. The only reason he was here to this point was that he was acting as a band-aid for a poor offensive line. If you can't see the improvement on the O-line to this point, making his limited services obsolete, I don't know what to tell ya. As far as the receiving portion of the TE position, Marcedes was/is easily upgradeable. Did you happen to catch the number of TEs on the roster at this point? How many do you think survive through camp? Is that not in the spirit of competition?

Speaking of reality, your posts on this board read as though bad trips are a daily occurrence in your life.
(03-20-2018, 03:59 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 03:44 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]In what way was their release due to competitive reasoning? This is nothing like that. Caldwell is dumping talent to AVOID stimulating the kind of competition necessary for athletes to thrive in.

What? I know you may be new here and perhaps to Jags football or football in general, but you always aim to improve the roster. It's a business and loyalty from either side only goes so far. The Jags have been pushing this for the last decade. Marcedes had two, maybe three good years here and became a one trick pony. The only reason he was here to this point was that he was acting as a band-aid for a poor offensive line. If you can't see the improvement on the O-line to this point, making his limited services obsolete, I don't know what to tell ya. As far as the receiving portion of the TE position, Marcedes was/is easily upgradeable. Did you happen to catch the number of TEs on the roster at this point? How many do you think survive through camp? Is that not in the spirit of competition?

Speaking of reality, your posts on this board read as though bad trips are a daily occurrence in your life.

Don't bother.  You'll not get any sensible response. 

It's all delusional rabble.
(03-20-2018, 03:59 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 03:44 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]In what way was their release due to competitive reasoning? This is nothing like that. Caldwell is dumping talent to AVOID stimulating the kind of competition necessary for athletes to thrive in.

No. That's not the spirit of competition because you eliminated the object of their desire, the starting veteran TE. You know what you do with those? You draft another TE and allow the veteran to teach the younger player how to play the position. The veteran also encourages the draftee to love and respect the franchise. 

That's how a franchise builds loyalty among pro personnel. Better NFL franchises don't eat their own. The Jaguars do.

As for some kind of fantasy brewing....

On the other hand, George Allen used all of his draft picks to accumulate veteran players. His 'over the hill' gang proved that there is much to be had by players deemed 'over the hill' by their team.

From wikipedia:

"[font=sans-serif]The start of the Over-the-Hill Gang was th1971 NFL Draft. Of the Redskins first five picks that year, they only used one, deciding to trade the rest. Allen had decided to build his team with experienced players who "did not have to mold to the NFL game". One of these trades was for Billy Kilmer, a quarterback who had been playing for the New Orleans Saints. As a starter for the Redskins, Kilmer threw for 3,869 yards and 32 touchdown passes. More importantly, he led the Redskins to back-to-back playoff appearances and became the first Redskins quarterback to start a Super Bowl.[/font]

The average age of starters was 31 years old. Allen's strategy turned the Redskins around as the team improved to a 9-4-1 record in 1971, and finished the 1972 season with an NFC-best 11-3 record. The retooled Redskins' nine victories in 1971 was the most by a Washington team in 29 years. In his seven seasons with the club, Allen and his veterans produced seven winning records, five playoff appearances, and one trip to the Super Bowl."
(03-20-2018, 04:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 03:59 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]What? I know you may be new here and perhaps to Jags football or football in general, but you always aim to improve the roster. It's a business and loyalty from either side only goes so far. The Jags have been pushing this for the last decade. Marcedes had two, maybe three good years here and became a one trick pony. The only reason he was here to this point was that he was acting as a band-aid for a poor offensive line. If you can't see the improvement on the O-line to this point, making his limited services obsolete, I don't know what to tell ya. As far as the receiving portion of the TE position, Marcedes was/is easily upgradeable. Did you happen to catch the number of TEs on the roster at this point? How many do you think survive through camp? Is that not in the spirit of competition?

Don't bother.  You'll not get any sensible response. 

No really. Are there warning points to those who call me a jock-sniffer? Those aren't pot shots, ya know? The Jaguars maintain a message board environment feasting with ugly trolls.

But wait, they dumped this lousy board and I think it's time for them to disavow this board entirely, firing ANY front office personnel using this board in that process.

Come on, Tom. Remove the link from the official site!
(03-20-2018, 05:27 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 03:59 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]What? I know you may be new here and perhaps to Jags football or football in general, but you always aim to improve the roster. It's a business and loyalty from either side only goes so far. The Jags have been pushing this for the last decade. Marcedes had two, maybe three good years here and became a one trick pony. The only reason he was here to this point was that he was acting as a band-aid for a poor offensive line. If you can't see the improvement on the O-line to this point, making his limited services obsolete, I don't know what to tell ya. As far as the receiving portion of the TE position, Marcedes was/is easily upgradeable. Did you happen to catch the number of TEs on the roster at this point? How many do you think survive through camp? Is that not in the spirit of competition?

No. That's not the spirit of competition because you eliminated the object of their desire, the starting veteran TE. You know what you do with those? You draft another TE and allow the veteran to teach the younger player how to play the position. The veteran also encourages the draftee to love and respect the franchise. 

That's how a franchise builds loyalty among pro personnel. Better NFL franchises don't eat their own. The Jaguars do.

On the other hand, George Allen used all of his draft picks to accumulate veteran players. His 'over the hill' gang proved that there is much to be had by players deemed 'over the hill' by their team.

From wikipedia:

"[font=sans-serif]The start of the Over-the-Hill Gang was th1971 NFL Draft. Of the Redskins first five picks that year, they only used one, deciding to trade the rest. Allen had decided to build his team with experienced players who "did not have to mold to the NFL game". One of these trades was for Billy Kilmer, a quarterback who had been playing for the New Orleans Saints. As a starter for the Redskins, Kilmer threw for 3,869 yards and 32 touchdown passes. More importantly, he led the Redskins to back-to-back playoff appearances and became the first Redskins quarterback to start a Super Bowl.[/font]

The average age of starters was 31 years old. Allen's strategy turned the Redskins around as the team improved to a 9-4-1 record in 1971, and finished the 1972 season with an NFC-best 11-3 record. The retooled Redskins' nine victories in 1971 was the most by a Washington team in 29 years. In his seven seasons with the club, Allen and his veterans produced seven winning records, five playoff appearances, and one trip to the Super Bowl."
Players play coaches coach.

In the days of free agency, franchise loyalty is inconsequential.

Maybe your problem is that you haven't realized the game has changed drastically in the nearly 50 years since George Allen did this.
(03-20-2018, 05:41 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2018, 04:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Don't bother.  You'll not get any sensible response. 

No really. Are there warning points to those who call me a jock-sniffer? Those aren't pot shots, ya know? The Jaguars maintain a message board environment feasting with ugly trolls.

But wait, they dumped this lousy board and I think it's time for them to disavow this board entirely, firing ANY front office personnel using this board in that process.

Come on, Tom. Remove the link from the official site!

Have you seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?  Just curious.
(03-20-2018, 05:27 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]

From wikipedia:

This sentence is mind blowing. Loyalty is keeping a blocking tight end around for 12 years. Only other TEs staying with teams that long are guys like Tony Gonzalez and Jason Whitten who are HOF caliber. Loyalty is also giving an undrafted receiver a $20 million dollar guaranteed contract after one 1000 yard season. The 2nd part is the real gem though considering the team of the decade is known for moving on from big name, fan favorite players at the right time. (what u call eating their own) Once again, you're talking about some HOF and Super Bowl winning players that the Pats released. I was far more shocked to hear that they extended Mercedes again than to hear of his release. In the end, we are barely a week into FA, so Hurns will definitely sign on somewhere else. He will get more money now than if they had waited til training camp cuts. Lewis I am not so sure on. I have a hard time seeing a team signing him. Especially since not many teams are that focused on running the ball.
Hurns, I'm not too fussed about.. I'm actually really disappointed in releasing Lewis.