Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: DiRocco-Jags the Favorites in AFC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-ja...fc-in-2018

I was thinking it was way too early to ask if we closed the gap on the Patriots, or, for that matter, anyone closed the gap on us.

But he went ahead.

What are your thoughts?
Too many bum castoffs on the team. I wanted us to keep our expensive oft-injured WRs for our run-heavy offense, dummy Front Office!
I want to see where this O-Line ends up, how Moncreif and Bortles mesh, and get an idea of the TE intentions before claiming too much. But the defense won't take any giant step backward and the offense (run game at least) should improve.

No reason to think they shouldn't be in the hunt for a conference title in my book.
Worried about defense actually. Depth at LB and how good Hayden will actually be. Also we were so incredibly lucky with injuries on Defense last year.

Offense has a lot to prove still. Especially with all of these new faces. A rookie WR won’t help us. I think drafting a TE round 1 would be a big benefit. If not, I think we should draft defense. We saw first hand this year that D wins championships. No need to get cute or overly flamboyant with an offensive selection.
(03-21-2018, 08:18 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Worried about defense actually. Depth at LB and how good Hayden will actually be. Also we were so incredibly lucky with injuries on Defense last year.

Offense has a lot to prove still. Especially with all of these new faces. A rookie WR won’t help us. I think drafting a TE round 1 would be a big benefit. If not, I think we should draft defense. We saw first hand this year that D wins championships. No need to get cute or overly flamboyant with an offensive selection.

[Image: usatsi_10483794.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]
(03-21-2018, 08:18 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Worried about defense actually. Depth at LB and how good Hayden will actually be. Also we were so incredibly lucky with injuries on Defense last year.

Drafting an interior olineman to compete with Cann could help the most imo
Considering the guys we lost really didn't have a significant impact on the season and the youth of many of the guys who were are biggest playmakers, I don't think it's a stretch for us to be the best in the AFC.

I think it all hinges on the play we get from Bortles.
It's hard to consider this team a favorite. Reason is this team can win against anyone but also lose to anyone. That's because of our offense is inconsistent but the D is elite and keeps us in games.
(03-21-2018, 09:06 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to consider this team a favorite. Reason is this team can win against anyone but also lose to anyone. That's because of our offense is inconsistent but the D is elite and keeps us in games.

NFL.com power ranking sees us pretty close to being right there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...encytrades
Keep in mind the Patriots lost Nate Solder, Malcolm Butler and Dion Lewis.

How do they plan to just replace Solder at LT?
I was just think about this the other day. It might sound like homerism but I think we are the cream of the afc. The Pats would still be 1 because Brady but after them it’s us. We own the steelers and the chiefs had a fire sale. I don’t really see any other team in the afc that really has close to the level of talent we have. The tinhorns may be improved but we gotta see it same for the tacks. Broncos could be a problem but again we gotta see it first. I’m putting us right back in the afc championship.
(03-21-2018, 10:24 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I was just think about this the other day. It might sound like homerism but I think we are the cream of the afc. The Pats would still be 1 because Brady but after them it’s us. We own the steelers and the chiefs had a fire sale. I don’t really see any other team in the afc that really has close to the level of talent we have. The tinhorns may be improved but we gotta see it same for the tacks. Broncos could be a problem but again we gotta see it first. I’m putting us right back in the afc championship.

The Broncos?

I have them as one of the worst teams in the league and finishing last in their division.
(03-21-2018, 09:10 PM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2018, 09:06 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to consider this team a favorite. Reason is this team can win against anyone but also lose to anyone. That's because of our offense is inconsistent but the D is elite and keeps us in games.

NFL.com power ranking sees us pretty close to being right there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...encytrades

Yeah I don't got a problem with a high ranking. We are one of the few teams who can beat anyone anywhere and that's because defense travels. If the offense can take that next step this team will be deadly good. Until we see that, this is still a team that can also lose to anyone anywhere.
Chargers will be up there
My biggest concern with the Jags is their ability to remain healthy on defense next year. I would consider the relative health of our defense last year an anomaly in today's NFL. I haven't looked at the numbers, but if we lose one or two key guys this year, it would definitely set us back.
(03-21-2018, 08:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

[Image: usatsi_10483794.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1]

That one made me laugh.  Good one. 

I was actually agreeing with him, "a rookie WR won't help us," until I looked at that picture.   That's pretty funny.
If the Texans stay healthy, i dont even think we are a lock for the top spot in the AFC South...
(03-22-2018, 06:31 AM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: [ -> ]If the Texans stay healthy, i dont even think we are a lock for the top spot in the AFC South...

Nah, Watson comes back down to earth this year. Just like most first year "something different" QBs, everyone has tape on him now and have identified his shortcomings.

Watt is all but done, and Clowney is still stuck at the starting gate.

I did hear they signed a decent cornerback though.
Watson makes the Texans a contender for sure, that being said he tore his ACL in November and shouldn't be 100% for the 2018 season.
(03-22-2018, 06:31 AM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: [ -> ]If the Texans stay healthy, i dont even think we are a lock for the top spot in the AFC South...

I'm not overly concerned about the Texans.

They still did not fix their OL.  While it's likely Seantrel Henderson won't be the complete turnstiles the immediate replacements for Duane Brown were, he's not Duane Brown, either, otherwise the Bills would not have gotten rid of him.  Besides LT, there were still numerous holes along the Texans' OL and they have no pick until the 3rd round.  Even though Watson is a legit QB, his impact will be muted due to the OL issues.

Defensively, while Clowney and Mercilus are a formidable pass rushing duo, the guy who has traditionally given us the most trouble, Watt, isn't the same guy he was.  Injuries have keep him out most of the last two seasons, and robbed him of much of the fantastic ability he had that gave us so much trouble.  If somehow, he reverts to his form of three years ago, then I worry about the Texans.
Pages: 1 2 3