Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Crazy good oline stat since 2014..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since Blake Bortles was drafted in 2014 the Jags oline has had these many sacks allowed since per year..

2014: 55 sacks allowed
2015: 51 sacks allowed
2016: 34 sacks allowed
2017: 24 sacks allowed

What's even crazier is that's without Andrew Norwell also.. The Jags should get Will Hernandez in draft then we would be one of the best olines in the league or maybe even the best..
They have steadily improved each year. A lot of it has to do with how they're managing the games now. More emphasis on running the football will certainly decrease the odds of Blake or any QB taking hits.

But they still have a lot of work to do in the run blocking department. That's why Norwell is here. And I agree. If they can land Hernandez or Wynn late on draft night I would be thrilled. I think Cann is a weak link right now and should be on the bench at this point.
(03-29-2018, 10:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]They have steadily improved each year. A lot of it has to do with how they're managing the games now. More emphasis on running the football will certainly decrease the odds of Blake or any QB taking hits.

But they still have a lot of work to do in the run blocking department. That's why Norwell is here. And I agree. If they can land Hernandez or Wynn late on draft night I would be thrilled. I think Cann is a weak link right now and should be on the bench at this point.

My thoughts as well  ^
(03-29-2018, 09:45 AM)chris hill Wrote: [ -> ]Since Blake Bortles was drafted in 2014 the Jags oline has had these many sacks allowed since per year..

2014: 55 sacks allowed
2015: 51 sacks allowed
2016: 34 sacks allowed
2017: 24 sacks allowed

What's even crazier is that's without Andrew Norwell also.. The Jags should get Will Hernandez in draft then we would be one of the best olines in the league or maybe even the best..

Thanks so much for pointing that out!

Texas OL Conner Williams is an excellent run-blockers. Some think of him as a OT, but his measurements indicate he's more suitable for OG.
We had a very good line last year despite Cann being awful and Omameh being inconsistent. Along with rookie Cam.

Excited to see how Pat Flaherty has them looking with an extra year of coaching and a new all pro added.
(03-29-2018, 10:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]But they still have a lot of work to do in the run blocking department. That's why Norwell is here. And I agree. If they can land Hernandez or Wynn late on draft night I would be thrilled. I think Cann is a weak link right now and should be on the bench at this point.

My pre-FA dream of a Cam-Hernandez-Linder-Norwell-Parnell OLine is still a reality
(03-29-2018, 12:12 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2018, 10:36 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]But they still have a lot of work to do in the run blocking department. That's why Norwell is here. And I agree. If they can land Hernandez or Wynn late on draft night I would be thrilled. I think Cann is a weak link right now and should be on the bench at this point.

My pre-FA dream of a Cam-Hernandez-Linder-Norwell-Parnell OLine is still a reality

I would absolutely love that O-Line...and love it even more if we got a good young RT prospect to groom behind Parnell.
I'd be good with Connor William's in the first and Ragnow in the 2nd. Our oline would be set for the next 4 years minimum
(03-29-2018, 12:12 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]

Only Q is do you let the all pro play where he wants on the left or do you make the rookie adapt to the right guard spot. You would think Norwell is good enough to adapt but its not always the case.
I wonder how far Quenton Nelson would have to drop before Dave and TC start working the phones to trade up. Imagine the run game with Norwell and Nelson forklifting defenders out of Lenny's way.
(03-29-2018, 12:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2018, 12:12 PM)JNev Wrote: [ -> ]My pre-FA dream of a Cam-Hernandez-Linder-Norwell-Parnell OLine is still a reality

Only Q is do you let the all pro play where he wants on the left or do you make the rookie adapt to the right guard spot. You would think Norwell is good enough to adapt but its not always the case.

Was gonna say the same thing.  I dont think they would move Norwell from LG, him being there will benefit Cam as well
(03-29-2018, 01:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2018, 12:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Only Q is do you let the all pro play where he wants on the left or do you make the rookie adapt to the right guard spot. You would think Norwell is good enough to adapt but its not always the case.

Was gonna say the same thing.  I dont think they would move Norwell from LG, him being there will benefit Cam as well

Agree, Hernandez and Cam will have a harder time picking up blitzs and stunts together. At least in the first year.
(03-29-2018, 01:35 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2018, 01:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Was gonna say the same thing.  I dont think they would move Norwell from LG, him being there will benefit Cam as well

Agree, Hernandez and Cam will have a harder time picking up blitzs and stunts together. At least in the first year.

Yep.
Norwell is playing LG. No way they move him to RG.
(03-29-2018, 01:10 PM)Byron LeftTown Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder how far Quenton Nelson would have to drop before Dave and TC start working the phones to trade up.  Imagine the run game with Norwell and Nelson forklifting defenders out of Lenny's way.

If he somehow fell to the 20s you would consider it.  Anything before that would cost too much.  You would need a Myles Jack type fall to do it.  I could see him falling out of the top ten, but there is no way he slides much further than that.
Careful banking on Hernandez. The guy has footwork and mechanics issues galore, and may find himself in some UGLY rookie situations as a starter.
If I’m not mistaken I think we actually surrendered 71 sacks in 2014. Henne got whipped the first 4 games lol.

Either way this is amazing to see this level of protection from our line. Adding Norwell should bolster the pass protection even more as well as place an even greater emphasis on the run game. Man I cannot wait for this draft. It’s starting to look like we will proly go oline in round 1.
To be fair, the criticism all year was on Blake not throwing the ball much at all. I'm proud of the Oline growth; but going from 300 attempts to 100, for example, wont give an accurate assessment of progress being made when talking about sacks.
I know everyone thinks Cann is awful, but am I the only one who loves the idea of him being an experienced back-up ?
(03-31-2018, 12:34 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: [ -> ]I know everyone thinks Cann is awful, but am I the only one who loves the idea of him being an experienced back-up ?

He'd be a great back-up.  Of course he'll be a FA in 2019 and the cost may prove to be too great for a guy on the bench at that point. But if they land a stud Guard in the draft - Cann makes for nice depth in 2018.
Pages: 1 2