Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: So many DL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not trying to be a debbie downer but I wonder from you fans if looking ahead for reasons of depth, cap room, etc etc if you see a good player being cut just because there isn't room for everyone?  If so, who do you as may being on the bubble?

Thanks

Fladan
It was somewhere, maybe in the Ozone that they want as many pass rushers as they can get so they can rotate them every few plays so they never get tired so the DL is always fresh
(04-28-2018, 08:24 PM)FlaDan Wrote: [ -> ]I am not trying to be a debbie downer but I wonder from you fans if looking ahead for reasons of depth, cap room, etc etc if you see a good player being cut just because there isn't room for everyone?  If so, who do you as may being on the bubble?

Thanks

Fladan

The answer you're looking for is this year Abry Jones can be on the bubble but next year the real decision is going to begin between Malik Jackson and Marcell Dareus barring that both of them don't take a pay cut.
Keep in mind that Marcel Dareus and Abry Jones are our NTs which is a position that Taven Bryan doesn't play. Bryan will mix in at the 3-tech and maybe at strong end, but it's really Malik that's going to have to prove he deserves to remain the starter with his paycheck. Dareus is safer IMO.

When looking at numbers, you pretty much keep 9 or 10 DLs. With that in mind, let's take a look at who we have up front on defense (non-bold player are newly added UDFAs)...
  • RDE: Yannick Ngakoue, Dante Fowler, Carroll Phillips, Darius Jackson
  • DT: Malik Jackson, Taven Bryan, Michael Bennett, Mike Hughes
  • NT: Marcel Dareus, Abry Jones, Eli Ankou
  • LDE: Calais Campbell, Dawuane Smoot, Hunter Dimick, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Lyndon Johnson
Can't be sacksonville without a dominant d-line
It’s about 2019 salaries
A nose tackle isn’t a premium position in today’s league. Dareus is going to have to show that he is more than that IMO if we are going to keep him over Malik Jackson
You might want to look at our rush defense numbers before Dareus got here...
(04-29-2018, 07:49 PM)MightyRx Wrote: [ -> ]You might want to look at our rush defense numbers before Dareus got here...

TBH I really hope we keep Dareus. He is going to have to restructure, but man the guy is legit. Former all pro who came in midseason and produced at a high level. He loves it here. Lets see what we get with a full offseason. The Bryan pick was insurance for Malik, not Dareus.
I'm perfectly fine with more bodies on the D-Line...especially with as much talent as we currently have on our roster on that side of the ball. The ability to rotate fresh players will help us tremendously, especially later in games.

Bryan in is a great spot where he's not forced to start right away and can learn from four Pro-Bowlers on the D-Line...that's a pretty good recipe for success if you ask me. 2019 and all the salary cap implications will take care of itself...I'm just focused on the upcoming season.