Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Post draft nuggets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2018/4/...-nfl-draft

It looks like Bryan was set to be taken by the Chargers had Derwin James not fell to them. They even planned on taking Bryan in a trade up at the back of the first after taking James.
(04-30-2018, 04:03 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2018/4/...-nfl-draft

It looks like Bryan was set to be taken by the Chargers had Derwin James not fell to them. They even planned on taking Bryan in a trade up at the back of the first after taking James.

Clearly, the value for Taven Bryan was there.

The tough part for me was passing Goedert and Sutton, however, getting Chark and Lazard might make up for Sutton.
But no one wanted Bryan in the first!!!!!!
I didn't see him falling past Atlanta but I guess they really had a high grade on Ridley.
(04-30-2018, 06:14 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 04:03 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2018/4/...-nfl-draft

Clearly, the value for Taven Bryan was there.

The tough part for me was passing Goedert and Sutton, however, getting Chark and Lazard might make up for Sutton.

I don't think Goedert was ever in the Jags plans... I think they wanted a TE that can run and block and this wasn't a good year for that. My guess is they will just do without this year and try again next year or see what is available in free agency next year.
Nothing better than a few nuggets after a long draft.
This was very encouraging.
I'm a Gator fan and didnt like the pick because I would of rather Hernandez or Goedert but it might be the best pick for the future. We are just so close that I would of rather a player I feel could help us more this year. Can is a FA next year so that would be a future help as well too. DT is more of a premier position though and dline is a strength of our team so I guess they want to keep that way.
Man... I really dont like how this sounds... we are going to be cutting a pro bowl level DT just to save cash ..... please, at least wait until after this season, and wait to make sure Bryan is ready..

Why cant we offer to restructure deals or something... I just see no reason to cut guys that you signed or traded for, if they are still producing, no matter the cost... We aren't even over the cap... and there are other positions we can sacrifice that aren't playing to the level of the Dline

now if one of them plays bad this year, then by all means....
(05-01-2018, 08:17 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]Man... I really dont like how this sounds... we are going to be cutting a pro bowl level DT just to save cash ..... please, at least wait until after this season, and wait to make sure Bryan is ready..

They don't need to save the cash until after this season. No point cutting any of those D-Linemen now. 

They won't.
(05-01-2018, 07:51 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a Gator fan and didnt like the pick because I would of rather Hernandez or Goedert but it might be the best pick for the future.  We are just so close that I would of rather a player I feel could help us more this year. Can is a FA next year so that would be a future help as well too.  DT is more of a premier position though and dline is a strength of our team so I guess they want to keep that way.

I feel like that's what they did with ASJ and Norwell.  They knew that picking at the back of the draft meant that immediate impact was going to be limited.  They grabbed a lot more dudes in FA than I expected.
(05-01-2018, 08:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2018, 08:17 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]Man... I really dont like how this sounds... we are going to be cutting a pro bowl level DT just to save cash ..... please, at least wait until after this season, and wait to make sure Bryan is ready..

They don't need to save the cash until after this season. No point cutting any of those D-Linemen now. 

They won't.

ok good, I also hope that if all those guys have great years again, they still keep them
(05-01-2018, 11:42 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2018, 08:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]They don't need to save the cash until after this season. No point cutting any of those D-Linemen now. 

They won't.

ok good, I also hope that if all those guys have great years again, they still keep them

Yeah, as it sits now, we're still like $18mil under for this year
Another one (mentioned on Jaguars Today) was that the Jaguars tried to trade up in the second round to take DJ Chark sooner.

If this is true I have two thoughts - was DJ Chark really the target? Or was it another player?

And also, I’m glad they didn’t trade up, because clearly there was no need.
(05-01-2018, 05:25 PM)Andy G Wrote: [ -> ]Another one (mentioned on Jaguars Today) was that the Jaguars tried to trade up in the second round to take DJ Chark sooner.

If this is true I have two thoughts - was DJ Chark really the target? Or was it another player?

And also, I’m glad they didn’t trade up, because clearly there was no need.

Caldwell said that himself in his media interview after they picked Chark. Also said they went as far as 50 on trying to trade up for him.
Joe DeCamillis on drafting Cooke and cutting Nortman:

Quote: "We feel like with Logan and with some of the other guys that were involved in the draft – I don’t remember a draft that had the quality of punters that there were here in this draft,” DeCamillis said....

“It was a situation where we felt like we could upgrade ourselves,” DeCamillis said.“[Cooke] is a heck of an athlete. He’s got a real good knack for putting the ball inside the 10. When you talk about the 20s, anyone can do that. I think he’s got a heck of a chance to be a good player for us.”

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/s...-547617741

I definitely believe they felt Cooke was the last of the draftable punters. They were probably looking at Townsend from UF as they had met with him previously.
I wonder how many WR they had over Chark?
(05-01-2018, 06:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder how many WR they had over Chark?

5 WRs went before pick 50. I'd guess less than that. Maybe just Moore and Ridley?