Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Post Draft Questions, Observations, and other stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The mystery surrounding the players selected in the draft is over.  But now that all of the teams have added their draft picks, naturally opinions and questions will arise from the various offseasons teams have had.  Here are some of mine.

1.  I've noticed the first two teams on our schedule had major holes on their offensive lines coming into the drafts.  With the Giants adding Nate Solder and Will Hernandez, it seems they have solidified their OL to the point of competence.  I think the Giants will be a strong test for our defense now that their OL has been addressed and they have an impressive array of skill players.  As for New England, they have added Isiah Wynn, and it appears they will play him at LT despite his short arms because of his overall athleticism.  I wonder how he will hold up in the first two weeks against the Texans and us.

2.  I don't think that Chark is the next coming of T.O. or Julio Jones.  But he doesn't have to be them for him to be successful for us.  All he needs to do is establish himself as a deep threat outside enough to give defenses pause before committing the 8th guy in the box the entire game.  I look for the team to utilize his deep speed early in the schedule to establish that deep threat.

3.  As far as the Jaguars draft class as a whole, I don't think it should necessarily be judged on its immediate impact.  Instead I think it will be judged by its impact in 2019 and beyond.  Ultimately, this draft class is about extending the window of contention.  If these guys replace the high salary cap guys ahead of them with little to no drop off, they will certainly be deemed a success.  If, however, the performance suffers significantly, so will the draft grades for this class.

4.  I think the Colts are more of a threat on the ground than they have been in some time due to the additions of Nelson and Braden Smith, but also due to the uncertainty around Luck.

5.  The Texans got a decent player in Martinas Rankin, but I don't think they solved their OL problems overall.  They got better in the secondary with Colvin, Honey Badger and Reid, but I don't think those additions will be enough to offset the weakness that remains their OL.

6.  The tacks bolstered their defense with two good players in Evans and Landry.  But was LB the difference between the tacks beating NE in the playoffs?

7.  The Jets got an unexpected gift in Sam Darnold.  If they are smart, they will keep him on the bench until they can fix the rest of their offense.

8.  Fans of the running game should love the game between us and Dallas.  As much as I liked Hurns when he was here, as it stands now, I see no huge threat in the Dallas passing game, either at wideout or at TE.

9.  I'm glad we don't play the Chargers this year.  I hope we don't see them in the playoffs.  They matched up well with us last year, and all they did was add to their defense.
I posted this in another thread but it fits here as well. Interesting blurb regarding our 1st round pick:

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2018/4/...-nfl-draft
(04-30-2018, 04:51 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]I posted this in another thread but it fits here as well. Interesting blurb regarding our 1st round pick:

"Bryan kept sliding. The Chargers really, really wanted him. In NFL circles it was known that the Jaguars were going to go defensive tackle. Just because they have some contracts coming up they won’t be able to afford. If Bryan got past the Jaguars, the Chargers had a deal in place with the Patriots to move up and go get Bryan. I’m not sure what the compensation would’ve been, but that tells you how much they liked him. Even getting a superb talent in Derwin, they didn’t want to walk away without Bryan. The Jaguars ended up with Bryan and no deal was made."
I always enjoy reading your posts.

The only quibble I have is with #3. I understand the FO loved the potential of Bryan. So did most draft analysts. I think they're basing it on workouts and not games. Just not enough evidence there for my taste. Since you already have arguably the best defense in the league, but your O line is only ranked 13th, I'd have preferred getting a sure fire OL in the 1st and worrying about getting a rotational/2019 replacement player on day 2 or 3. OTH, Caldwell may have pulled one out of the hat with Richardson.
(04-30-2018, 04:51 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]I posted this in another thread but it fits here as well. Interesting blurb regarding our 1st round pick:

That's interesting to hear the Bolts were high on Bryan.

They have a good personnel department, and they run the same schemes we do.

I still want to see more of Bryan.

(04-30-2018, 04:56 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: [ -> ]I always enjoy reading your posts.

The only quibble I have is with #3.  I understand the FO loved the potential of Bryan.  So did most draft analysts.  I think they're basing it on workouts and not games.  Just not enough evidence there for my taste.  Since you already have arguably the best defense in the league, but your O line is only ranked 13th, I'd have preferred getting a sure fire OL in the 1st and worrying about getting a rotational/2019 replacement player on day 2 or 3.  OTH, Caldwell may have pulled one out of the hat with Richardson.

Thank you Yoda!

My preference pre draft was for Will Hernandez.

I think had we taken Hernandez instead of Bryan, most Jaguars fans would be delirious over this draft class.  Hernandez would have given us an immediate impact player and clearly the best running game in football.  But I want to see some impact from Bryan in rotational snaps.

My bet for the rookie that would supplant the vet in the first year will be Harrison over Church.
Giants still have some coaching concerns and their defense has holes in it too. We should easily beat them.

Chark has the athletic upside of those guys but I agree he doesn't have to be a super star WR1 for this to be a good pick. I'm a little nervous about him because it seems like he jumped up boards based on his athleticism and not on his play.
(04-30-2018, 05:07 PM)Markulous Wrote: [ -> ]Giants still have some coaching concerns and their defense has holes in it too. We should easily beat them.

Chark has the athletic upside of those guys but I agree he doesn't have to be a super star WR1 for this to be a good pick. I'm a little nervous about him because it seems like he jumped up boards based on his athleticism and not on his play.

Regarding Chark, I submit the poor QB play/offense generally was more responsible for his lack of productivity, and not his overall ability as a player.  I know when I looked at the draft breakdown  footage of Rashaan Evans, Chark stood out because he was getting behind the Bama defense.
(04-30-2018, 05:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 05:07 PM)Markulous Wrote: [ -> ]Giants still have some coaching concerns and their defense has holes in it too. We should easily beat them.

Regarding Chark, I submit the poor QB play/offense generally was more responsible for his lack of productivity, and not his overall ability as a player.  I know when I looked at the draft breakdown  footage of Rashaan Evans, Chark stood out because he was getting behind the Bama defense.

He's pretty decent at end-arounds and jet sweeps too. Ask the Florida Gators.
Give me excitement going towards the possibility of playoffs and superbowl hope then top 10 picks in the draft. As much as I liked picking early as a fan, it was cool watching players fall and wondering what would happen for us. I like when sites redraft and revise grades 3 years after the draft. Sure seems like we have turned a front office corner.
(04-30-2018, 05:18 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Give me excitement going towards the possibility of playoffs and superbowl hope then top 10 picks in the draft.  As much as I liked picking early as a fan, it was cool watching players fall and wondering what would happen for us.  I like when sites redraft and revise grades 3 years after the draft.  Sure seems like we have turned a front office corner.

One of my favorite moments of this draft was hearing an exasperated Rich Eisen wonder "How many play makers can they add to that defense?" after the Harrison selection.

(04-30-2018, 05:13 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 05:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Regarding Chark, I submit the poor QB play/offense generally was more responsible for his lack of productivity, and not his overall ability as a player.  I know when I looked at the draft breakdown  footage of Rashaan Evans, Chark stood out because he was getting behind the Bama defense.

He's pretty decent at end-arounds and jet sweeps too. Ask the Florida Gators.

The Gators must have really given up last year.  You'd think there would be way too much talent and speed on that defense for that to happen.
(04-30-2018, 05:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 05:18 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Give me excitement going towards the possibility of playoffs and superbowl hope then top 10 picks in the draft.  As much as I liked picking early as a fan, it was cool watching players fall and wondering what would happen for us.  I like when sites redraft and revise grades 3 years after the draft.  Sure seems like we have turned a front office corner.

One of my favorite moments of this draft was hearing an exasperated Rich Eisen wonder "How many play makers can they add to that defense?" after the Harrison selection.

I agree.  Comments brought a big smile to my face.  I hope we run a tidal wave of rested players.
(04-30-2018, 05:10 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

I really hope you are right. I watched him a little and he seemed super raw but I know LSU had one of the worst QBs
I'd actually contend that Chark is already pretty good at the little things. His hands were inconsistent but that's a more a result of god awful placement than anything else.
(04-30-2018, 06:12 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]I'd actually contend that Chark is already pretty good at the little things. His hands were inconsistent but that's a more a result of god awful placement than anything else.

Not exactly guaranteed to be worlds better for him here.  Tongue