Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Fournette will wear #27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No surprise here, obviously wanted the #7 but #27 is the closest he could get 

One ahead of Fred Taylor.

I don't like that because that's what's rasheen Mathis number and that number should be out of the cycle. It was already an insult when did Dwayne Gratz wore it.
Quote:I don't like that because that's what's rasheen Mathis number and that number should be out of the cycle. It was already an insult when did Dwayne Gratz wore it.

Just my opinion, but Rashean was a very good corner, but you don't retire the numbers of very good players. Only great players.
Quote:Just my opinion, but Rashean was a very good corner, but you don't retire the numbers of very good players. Only great players.
Agreed. He was a solid CB for a long time and was a great story coming from a high school here. But like you said, that isn't quite enough to retire a number.
Considering Dwayne Gratz had already worn it for a number of years, it's hardly a disrespect to Mathis that Fournette wants a number with a #7 in it (granted he could have had #37 as well which is open) also, considering he's been heralded as a dynamic talent all the way back to high school, hopefully he can add to the legacy of #27 for Jacksonville as a franchise and getting to wear it is seen as a badge of honor down the line as "the number that all time Jaguar greats Rashean Mathis & Leonard Fournette wore"

I am surprised that people actually underrate one of our very best players. Mathis was great, top 5 CB in his prime.

Ramsey has a good season and people act like he is already a HoF. Mathis was great for a few years and he is just "very good" lol

no jersey should be off limits, out of circulation, retired, etc etc.

I like how Dallas does it, anyone can wear the number.

when I see players wearing numbers of past greats, I get to simultaneously cheer the new guy and remember the old guy.

8, 28, 71, 82, 32 all need to be back. Ring of honor is honor enough. we have no HoFers and already 5 numbers off limits.

Quote:no jersey should be off limits, out of circulation, retired, etc etc.

I like how Dallas does it, anyone can wear the number.

when I see players wearing numbers of past greats, I get to simultaneously cheer the new guy and remember the old guy.

8, 28, 71, 82, 32 all need to be back. Ring of honor is honor enough. we have no HoFers and already 5 numbers off limits.
i didnt think any numbers were actually off limits or retired for us. frowned upon maybe, but i didnt think we actually retired them.

other than that i agree with you. its almost like an expectation if someone takes that number, they have to live up to that level. like when dez took 88.
There aren't any jersey numbers that have been retired by the Jags.  They simply haven't issued them to players since the originals wore them.  I don't have a problem with that, and I'm sure if a player insisted on wearing one of the numbers that haven't been reissued, they wouldn't get much objection.

Mathis had 2 great seasons.  Other than that, he was a really good player but not great.  I like #27 on 4net