Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Defensive Triplets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not sure why, but when TV talking heads discuss triplets, they always talk about the great offensive trios like the 90's Cowboys of Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin, or the Colts with Manning, Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison.  Perhaps it's because of the whole offense sells tickets mindset.  Perhaps it's attributable in part to Fantasy Football. But the concept of defensive triplets never comes up. 

If the discussion of defensive triplets ever arose, certainly our own trio of Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue would have to be a main focus when discussing contemporary triplets.

But how would they rate in comparison to other great defensive triplets today and in history?

For the purposes of this discussion, triplets are defined as:
  • a trio of players (duh)
  • on each level of the defense
  • that was either drafted in one draft or up to three successive drafts
Using that criteria, if I had to choose the best defensive triplets, they would be as follows:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers 1969 DT Mean Joe Greene, 1970 CB Mel Blount, 1971 LB Jack Ham-All Hall of Famers and four time Super Bowl champions
  2. Tampa 1993 S John Lynch (9 X Pro Bowl, 1 X All Pro & Super Bowl Champ), 1995 DT Warren Sapp (7 X Pro Bowler, 4 X All Pro and SB champ and Hall of Famer) & 1995 LB Derrick Brooks (11 x Pro Bowler, 5 x All Pro, Hall of Famer and Super Bowl Champ).
  3. Philadelphia Eagles 1986 LB Seth Joyner (3 x Pro Bowler), 1987 DT Jerome Brown (2x All Pro and Pro Bowler who died in a car crash) , 1988 CB Eric Allen (6 time Pro Bowler and 1 x All pro)
  4. Chicago Bears  1979 DT Dan Hampton, 1981 MLB Mike Singletary & S Todd Bell-Two Hall of Famers in Hampton and Singletary.  Bell ruined a promising career with an ill advised holdout in 1985.

5. Denver- 1975 CB Louis Wright (5 x Bowler, 2 x All Pro), 1974 LB Randy Gradishar (7 x Pro bowler 2x All Pro), 1973 DT Barney Chavous
  6.  L.A. Rams 1971 DE Jack Youngblood (Hall of Famer, 7 x Pro Bowler. 5 X All Pro), LB Isaiah Robertson (6x Pro Bowl, 2 x All Pro, 1971 Defensive ROY), and Dave Elmendorf
  7. New York Giants 1981 LB Lawrence Taylor (Hall of Famer, 10 x Pro Bowler, 8 x All Pro, 2 x SB champ, 1 x MVP, 1981, 82, and 86 AP Defensive POY.), 1983 DL Leonard Marshall (2 x Pro Bowler & 2 x SB Champ), DB Terry Kinard (1x Pro Bowler, 1 x SB champ)
If our guys end up at all comparable to these triplets, the Jaguars will be in great shape in the years to come.
(05-21-2018, 11:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure why, but when TV talking heads discuss triplets, they always talk about the great offensive trios like the 90's Cowboys of Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin, or the Colts with Manning, Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison.  Perhaps it's because of the whole offense sells tickets mindset.  Perhaps it's attributable in part to Fantasy Football. But the concept of defensive triplets never comes up. 

If the discussion of defensive triplets ever arose, certainly our own trio of Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue would have to be a main focus when discussing contemporary triplets.

But how would they rate in comparison to other great defensive triplets today and in history?

Using that criteria, if I had to choose the best defensive triplets, they would be as follows:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers 1969 DT Mean Joe Greene, 1970 CB Mel Blount, 1971 LB Jack Ham-All Hall of Famers and four time Super Bowl champions
  2. Tampa 1993 S John Lynch (9 X Pro Bowl, 1 X All Pro & Super Bowl Champ), 1995 DT Warren Sapp (7 X Pro Bowler, 4 X All Pro and SB champ and Hall of Famer) & 1995 LB Derrick Brooks (11 x Pro Bowler, 5 x All Pro, Hall of Famer and Super Bowl Champ).
  3. Philadelphia Eagles 1986 LB Seth Joyner (3 x Pro Bowler), 1987 DT Jerome Brown (2x All Pro and Pro Bowler who died in a car crash) , 1988 CB Eric Allen (6 time Pro Bowler and 1 x All pro)
  4. Chicago Bears  1979 DT Dan Hampton, 1981 MLB Mike Singletary & S Todd Bell-Two Hall of Famers in Hampton and Singletary.  Bell ruined a promising career with an ill advised holdout in 1985.

5. Denver- 1975 CB Louis Wright (5 x Bowler, 2 x All Pro), 1974 LB Randy Gradishar (7 x Pro bowler 2x All Pro), 1973 DT Barney Chavous
  6.  L.A. Rams 1971 DE Jack Youngblood (Hall of Famer, 7 x Pro Bowler. 5 X All Pro), LB Isaiah Robertson (6x Pro Bowl, 2 x All Pro, 1971 Defensive ROY), and Dave Elmendorf
  7. New York Giants 1981 LB Lawrence Taylor (Hall of Famer, 10 x Pro Bowler, 8 x All Pro, 2 x SB champ, 1 x MVP, 1981, 82, and 86 AP Defensive POY.), 1983 DL Leonard Marshall (2 x Pro Bowler & 2 x SB Champ), DB Terry Kinard (1x Pro Bowler, 1 x SB champ)
If our guys end up at all comparable to these triplets, the Jaguars will be in great shape in the years to come.
I'd put T. Smith over Jack, as Telvin already has the Pro Bowl/All Pro selection to his name.  This can go well with Jalen's Pro Bowl/All Pro and Yannick's Pro Bowl selection.  Plus, Telvin is already under contract for few more years.
(05-21-2018, 11:32 AM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2018, 11:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure why, but when TV talking heads discuss triplets, they always talk about the great offensive trios like the 90's Cowboys of Aikman, Emmitt, and Irvin, or the Colts with Manning, Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison.  Perhaps it's because of the whole offense sells tickets mindset.  Perhaps it's attributable in part to Fantasy Football. But the concept of defensive triplets never comes up. 

I'd put T. Smith over Jack, as Telvin already has the Pro Bowl/All Pro selection to his name.  This can go well with Jalen's Pro Bowl/All Pro and Yannick's Pro Bowl selection.  Plus, Telvin is already under contract for few more years.

Yes...Telvin Smith would also meet that criteria, and he could reasonably be put in over Jack.

I put in Jack because he came in the same draft and he is close to Pro Bowl level.  I submit if he and the two DTs stay healthy in front of him, and the team wins, with his move to MLB and the schedule we play, Jack will make the Pro bowl this year.
I think our "Trio" would be Campbell, Smith, and Ramsey... but like you said... the idea of Trio is dumb.

If there were a NFL version of NBA Jam... then yeah it would make sense... especially if it was a 4 on 4 thing... our Defense would be Campbell, Smith, Ramsey and Bouye. That would be sick.
(05-21-2018, 03:37 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]I think our "Trio" would be Campbell, Smith, and Ramsey... but like you said... the idea of Trio is dumb.

If there were a NFL version of NBA Jam... then yeah it would make sense... especially if it was a 4 on 4 thing... our Defense would be Campbell, Smith, Ramsey and Bouye. That would be sick.

1.  The players would have to be drafted by the team in question.  No traded for players or free agents.

2.  Unless I missed something, I didn't see anyone in this thread call the idea of triplets "dumb."
(05-21-2018, 03:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2018, 03:37 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]I think our "Trio" would be Campbell, Smith, and Ramsey... but like you said... the idea of Trio is dumb.

1.  The players would have to be drafted by the team in question.  No traded for players or free agents.

2.  Unless I missed something, I didn't see anyone in this thread call the idea of triplets "dumb."

guess I incorrectly paraphrased your first paragraph... I think it's a pointless concept... but I also understand its the offseason and its something to do.
lol @ brianmsnbc coming in here all high and mighty and not being able to read simple directions.
(05-21-2018, 05:33 PM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]lol @ brianmsnbc coming in here all high and mighty and not being able to read simple directions.

high and mighty?
(05-21-2018, 11:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]For the purposes of this discussion, triplets are defined as:

One more criterion, which maybe could even squeeze into the first spot, is that the trio of players is on the same starting roster. 
(05-21-2018, 07:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2018, 11:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]For the purposes of this discussion, triplets are defined as:

One more criterion, which maybe could even squeeze into the first spot, is that the trio of players is on the same starting roster. 

Explain please.

In most cases, they would all be on the same roster, especially those in the same draft.
(05-21-2018, 07:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2018, 07:37 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]One more criterion, which maybe could even squeeze into the first spot, is that the trio of players is on the same starting roster. 

Explain please.

In most cases, they would all be on the same roster, especially those in the same draft.

As you just said, "in most cases." The very word "most" implies there may be exceptions.
(05-21-2018, 08:20 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2018, 07:48 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Explain please.

As you just said, "in most cases." The very word "most" implies there may be exceptions.

I haven't seen any in my research.

In order for a stud to have been drafted by one team and play for another within three years would mean he was cut or traded within that time.  Aside from the fact that rarely happens, it would be even rarer within the context of triplets.
(05-21-2018, 08:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-21-2018, 08:20 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]As you just said, "in most cases." The very word "most" implies there may be exceptions.

I haven't seen any in my research.

In order for a stud to have been drafted by one team and play for another within three years would mean he was cut or traded within that time.  Aside from the fact that rarely happens, it would be even rarer within the context of triplets.

You could also have an injury situation.

It would be rare indeed if it happened at all, but just in case, it doesn't hurt to clarify as much in the first item considering "trio of players" by itself is so obvious it's practically redundant to mention.

It would be interesting to see just where Yannick, Telvin and Jalen stack up. At least in pass defense, it just doesn't get much better.