Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Trump posthumously pardons Jack Johnson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Trump posthumously pardons Jack Johnson, boxing's first black heavyweight champion

President Trump on Thursday granted a posthumous pardon to Jack Johnson, boxing's first black heavyweight champion, after being urged to do so by “Rocky” star Sylvester Stallone.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/05/...mpion.html
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5036293]
i’m sure someone right now is licking cheeto dust from their fingers preparing to explain how Trump is an idiot for pardoning a guy of questionable character.

Why this guy was ignored through numerous administration is beyond me. The trial was more than disturbing and rigged against him.
It was certainly the right thing to do.  I wonder how the left will spin this one.
Why would "the left" have any objection to this? It's widely acknowledged that Johnson was unfairly charged and convicted, and an example of the racial injustice common to the times. You guys worry too much about what the "left " will say, especially since you all claim to not read or watch "leftist" media outlets. It's not always what you are told it is.
(05-24-2018, 07:14 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]It was certainly the right thing to do.  I wonder how the left will spin this one.

How did the right spin it?

Why are you always so concerned with "the left"? Seeking approval?
(05-24-2018, 08:16 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]Why would "the left" have any objection to this? It's widely acknowledged that Johnson was unfairly charged and convicted, and an example of the racial injustice common to the times. You guys worry too much about what the "left " will say, especially since you all claim to not read or watch "leftist" media outlets. It's not always what you are told it is.

I agree.

I guess my only question is why did it take so long? I'm guessing no one really knew about it.

I wonder if Stallone asked the other Presidents (since he became famous with Rocky) to do it.
(05-24-2018, 08:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2018, 08:16 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]Why would "the left" have any objection to this? It's widely acknowledged that Johnson was unfairly charged and convicted, and an example of the racial injustice common to the times. You guys worry too much about what the "left " will say, especially since you all claim to not read or watch "leftist" media outlets. It's not always what you are told it is.

I agree.

I guess my only question is why did it take so long? I'm guessing no one really knew about it.

I wonder if Stallone asked the other Presidents (since he became famous with Rocky) to do it.

For a time, he was unfairly criticized by African-Americans like Booker T. Washington for his lavish lifestyle and not being a positive influence in the African-American community. Ironically, marrying and dating white women was likely part of this. Also, after winning the heavyweight title he refused to fight other black fighters for several years. That's all I can figure.
(05-24-2018, 08:30 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2018, 08:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]I agree.

For a time, he was unfairly criticized for his lavish lifestyle and not being a positive influence in the African-American community. Also, after winning the heavyweight title he refused to fight other black fighter for several years. That's all I can figure.

I'm sure passage of time helped that too.. Very sad.
Trump cleaning up and addressing the messes of past presidents is becoming the daily norm.
(05-26-2018, 01:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Trump cleaning up and addressing the messes of past presidents is becoming the daily norm.

If only he'd do something for black people that aren't dead.
(05-27-2018, 11:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-26-2018, 01:05 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Trump cleaning up and addressing the messes of past presidents is becoming the daily norm.

What do you mean? Black unemployment is at lowest point in years. Trump is working for ALL Americans!
(05-28-2018, 07:28 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2018, 11:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]If only he'd do something for black people that aren't dead.

What do you mean? Black unemployment is at lowest point in years. You working for ALL Americans!

I'm not black, but I would guess that they are glad for the lower unemployment.  But if it hasn't translated into higher wages or a promotion or into one of their relatives getting a job for the first time in a while, it probably doesn't mean much for them personally.
Meanwhile I would know that the unemployment rate for everyone was on a steady downward trend during the Obama Administration, and there's reason to believe it would be this low under a Hillary Administration, though admittedly no one can be sure.
I'd probably be devoting more thought to if the police were going to treat me unfairly do to my complexion.  One of the president's jobs is to make sure that the justice department enforces the 1964 Civil Rights Act by finding patterns and practices of discrimination and remedying them with consent decrees.  I'd be pretty unenthused about a president and a justice department who were deliberately and proudly refraining from doing so.

Like what?

So let's name some of the accomplishments that Obama bestowed upon the black community.. ya know.. other than making them worse off by increasing welfare benefits therefore eliminating incentive to better themselves?

It's always concerning to me that the party that wants to keep black people down with handouts is somehow considered their champion.

Republicans want EVERYONE to succeed on their own merit - and they honestly believe that EVERYONE is capable of doing that... yet that's the racist position?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStHuXtQ-lxvDjSZa8sPCH...9z09FZjFHA]
(05-28-2018, 10:29 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-27-2018, 11:40 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]If only he'd do something for black people that aren't dead.

So let's name some of the accomplishments that Obama bestowed upon the black community.. ya know.. other than making them worse off by increasing welfare benefits therefore eliminating incentive to better themselves?

It's always concerning to me that the party that wants to keep black people down with handouts is somehow considered their champion.

Republicans want EVERYONE to succeed on their own merit - and they honestly believe that EVERYONE is capable of doing that... yet that's the racist position?

The Republican Party is not racist. Many prominent Republicans give the appearance of being so.
(05-29-2018, 03:33 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-28-2018, 10:29 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]So let's name some of the accomplishments that Obama bestowed upon the black community.. ya know.. other than making them worse off by increasing welfare benefits therefore eliminating incentive to better themselves?

The Republican Party is not racist. Many prominent Republicans give the appearance of being so.

The Democrat Party is racist, most prominent Democrats for the last 150 years leave us with no doubt.
(05-29-2018, 03:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2018, 03:33 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]The Republican Party is not racist. Many prominent Republicans give the appearance of being so.

The Democrat Party is racist, most prominent Democrats for the last 150 years leave us with no doubt.

Who the [BLEEP] said anything about the Democratic Party? Dude, end your jihad already. It's sad.
(05-29-2018, 08:38 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2018, 03:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]The Democrat Party is racist, most prominent Democrats for the last 150 years leave us with no doubt.

Who the [BLEEP] said anything about the Democratic Party? Dude, end your jihad already. It's sad.

[Image: 79db4b5c87d76c9b20c366a07536b779.jpg]
Pages: 1 2