Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Jaguars RB Corey Grant 'a major change-of-pace back'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jaguars RB Corey Grant 'a major change-of-pace back'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...fpace-back

Corey Grant showed his potential in the AFC Championship Game, and Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett wants to utilize his talents more in 2018.
He's very well rested too; since we didn't utilize him in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship Game vs New England.
Sure hope the coaches do that. The game could slow down and get much easier for BB5 this year. Well... l sure hope so.
(05-31-2018, 11:53 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ].

Well said. 

If football were a sentence on a message board, your post represents the exact amount of play Grant got last year.
Maybe they will Grant him more playing time.
I forgot how important he was that first half. But it also frustrates me so much how we completely went away from our game plan with the big lead at the end.

See...that's your problem.

You talk too much!

Big Grin

(06-01-2018, 06:03 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote: [ -> ]I forgot how important he was that first half. But it also frustrates me so much how we completely went away from our game plan with the big lead at the end.

i remember Marrone talking about why they got away from him in the second half.  He indicated that New England presented different looks that kind of precluded them from utilizing Grant.

I went back and reviewed the first half when they utilized Grant, and the Patriots always had 8 in the box when they utilized him.

Now perhaps there was something about the alignment that I missed, but that was what stuck out to me.

What was it about the 8 man front that made it good to utilize Grant like that.

If it was the 8 man front and they got away from it in the 2nd half, why couldn't we run the ball effectively with Fournette?
When Jags02 sees this he's going to write up a two page article about how he knew this all along. HAHA. He was right though. He's been calling for Grant to be used more since he's been here.
Should have used him as a decoy in the 2nd; since he blew their doors off in the 1st half. I sure hope we do great this year again so I can get last year's sour taste out.....
(06-01-2018, 12:28 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]When Jags02 sees this he's going to write up a two page article about how he knew this all along. HAHA. He was right though. He's been calling for Grant to be used more since he's been here.

He has Darren Sproles potential. This offense is very underrated - lots of upcoming playmakers ready to break out. Hackett won’t crush defenses with a superstar focal point like Julio; he’ll do so by balanced play calling with Blake playing point guard.
Still not completely sold on the guy. Seems like more of a gimmicky play guy. I like yeldon better.
(06-01-2018, 09:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

You talk too much!

Big Grin

(06-01-2018, 06:03 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote: [ -> ]I forgot how important he was that first half. But it also frustrates me so much how we completely went away from our game plan with the big lead at the end.

i remember Marrone talking about why they got away from him in the second half.  He indicated that New England presented different looks that kind of precluded them from utilizing Grant.

I went back and reviewed the first half when they utilized Grant, and the Patriots always had 8 in the box when they utilized him.

Now perhaps there was something about the alignment that I missed, but that was what stuck out to me.

If it was the 8 man front and they got away from it in the 2nd half, why couldn't we run the ball effectively with Fournette?

Maybe cause the way new englands defense was set up player wise grant was the better option because he seems to have better lateral agility than fornette and NEs front was pretty slow last year from a sideline to sideline standpoint
(06-01-2018, 09:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

You talk too much!

Big Grin

The jags were having success with Grant on a few of those plays because the Pats were leaving a LB on him. That LB bit on the fake handoff to LF on the one below. They were also cleverly lining him up behind two receivers.  Almost like he was the Z in a bunch formation. 

The LB  (all of them actually) bit on the fake hand off to LF and Grant was free with two WRs (or a TE and a WR)  clearing a path in front of him. 
[Image: grant_bunch.png]

I can't confirm it yet, but I'd guess the Pats later started putting a DB on Grant instead.

[Image: Grantcatch.gif]

The real problem was that they got away from that set ^ and went with power run formations more often and LF was facing this:
(next post)
[Image: LFset.png]
(06-04-2018, 03:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-01-2018, 09:29 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]See...that's your problem.

You talk too much!

Big Grin

The jags were having success with Grant on a few of those plays because the Pats were leaving a LB on him. That LB bit on the fake handoff to LF on the one below.   They were also cleverly lining him up behind two receivers.  Almost like he was the Z in a bunch formation. 

The LB  (all of them actually) bit on the fake hand off to LF and Grant was free with two WRs (or a TE and a WR)  clearing a path in front of him. 
[Image: grant_bunch.png]

I can't confirm it yet, but I'd guess the Pats later started putting a DB on Grant instead.

The real problem was that they got away from that set ^ and went with power run formations more often and LF was facing this:
(next post)

It makes sense that they would all bite on Fournette. In that first half, Fournette was on pace for a monster game. He was just killing them, and then Grant on top of him was too much. I think they got away from Grant in the second half more because they couldn't get Fournette going in the second half. I'm not sure what the adjustment was that the Patriots made at halftime, but just as Fourtnette was ready to take over the game and blow it wide open, they managed to clamp down and take him out the rest of the game. I'm hoping the presence of Norwell would have evened the odds in that second half, and that we'd actually see the take over by Fournette and Grant that we were anticipating. 
(06-04-2018, 06:45 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2018, 03:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The jags were having success with Grant on a few of those plays because the Pats were leaving a LB on him. That LB bit on the fake handoff to LF on the one below.   They were also cleverly lining him up behind two receivers.  Almost like he was the Z in a bunch formation. 

(next post)

It makes sense that they would all bite on Fournette. In that first half, Fournette was on pace for a monster game. He was just killing them, and then Grant on top of him was too much. I think they got away from Grant in the second half more because they couldn't get Fournette going in the second half. I'm not sure what the adjustment was that the Patriots made at halftime, but just as Fourtnette was ready to take over the game and blow it wide open, they managed to clamp down and take him out the rest of the game. I'm hoping the presence of Norwell would have evened the odds in that second half, and that we'd actually see the take over by Fournette and Grant that we were anticipating. 

This was in the first quarter. They bit on Fournette because he's the primary back and Blake faked a hand-off to him. He wasn't having a monster anything yet. 
Plus they had very little tape on Grant outside of fake punts, and I doubt they'd seen him lined up like this prior to it happening in this game.
(06-04-2018, 03:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ][Image: LFset.png]

If was the same problem as with the fake punts and calling running plays for Bortles; the Patriots had gameplanned against both those situations, they had a spy on Bortles during most plays and they were very disciplined on punt return. The same happened to Grant but only after a halftime adjustment, an adjustment because had burned them a bit too much in the first half.