Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Va. high court invalidates McAuliffe’s order restoring felon voting rights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Va. high court invalidates McAuliffe’s order restoring felon voting rights

Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s decision to restore voting rights to more than 200,000 felons violates Virginia’s constitution, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday, dealing a major blow to the Democratic governor with implications for the November presidential race in the crucial swing state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/vir...b1831304b3
(06-04-2018, 06:44 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Va. high court invalidates McAuliffe’s order restoring felon voting rights

Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s decision to restore voting rights to more than 200,000 felons violates Virginia’s constitution, the state Supreme Court ruled Friday, dealing a major blow to the Democratic governor with implications for the November presidential race in the crucial swing state.

I believe once you have served your time including probation or parole, you should be able to vote...Not so sure about restoring every civil right such as the right to own or possession of a firearm, but the right to vote should be automatically restored after you completed your sentence...I think in some states there is a minimum length of time you must wait to request restoration of your civil rights and then you have to request restoration of your gun rights...Violent offenders can forget getting their gun rights back though
(06-04-2018, 07:05 AM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2018, 06:44 AM)The Drifter Wrote: [ -> ]Va. high court invalidates McAuliffe’s order restoring felon voting rights

I believe once you have served your time including probation or parole, you should be able to vote...Not so sure about restoring every civil right such as the right to own or possession of a firearm, but the right to vote should be automatically restored after you completed your sentence...I think in some states there is a minimum length of time you must wait to request restoration of your civil rights and then you have to request restoration of your gun rights...Violent offenders can forget getting their gun rights back though

I believe once you made the decision to commit a crime (felony, obviously) and then are dumb enough to get caught... you should never be allowed to vote again. Ever.

Why do I care about the political leanings of a criminal? In fact, I especially don't want them to vote because they are the kind of people that want handouts and they think democrats will give them that.
(06-04-2018, 08:16 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2018, 07:05 AM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]I believe once you have served your time including probation or parole, you should be able to vote...Not so sure about restoring every civil right such as the right to own or possession of a firearm, but the right to vote should be automatically restored after you completed your sentence...I think in some states there is a minimum length of time you must wait to request restoration of your civil rights and then you have to request restoration of your gun rights...Violent offenders can forget getting their gun rights back though

I believe once you made the decision to commit a crime (felony, obviously) and then are dumb enough to get caught... you should never be allowed to vote again. Ever.

Why do I care about the political leanings of a criminal? In fact, I especially don't want them to vote because they are the kind of people that want handouts and they think democrats will give them that.

You should get out more.
If you really believe that felonies are permanent markers on a person's character, and they can't change, why aren't you calling for them to stay in prison forever?
(06-04-2018, 08:16 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2018, 07:05 AM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]I believe once you have served your time including probation or parole, you should be able to vote...Not so sure about restoring every civil right such as the right to own or possession of a firearm, but the right to vote should be automatically restored after you completed your sentence...I think in some states there is a minimum length of time you must wait to request restoration of your civil rights and then you have to request restoration of your gun rights...Violent offenders can forget getting their gun rights back though

so all convicted felons want handouts? So if a person committed a crime like burglary without a weapon or endangering someone else in the process when he was 20, he should never ever be able to vote again even when he is 30 or 40? Is anyone the same person they were 20 years ago? No one is...Many people do dumb [BLEEP], get caught do their time and complete their sentence and never get in trouble again...
I agree with the reason for invalidation. However, I don’t agree that there should never be an avenue for rights restoration. People make mistakes and in this day and age, one slip of the law (non-violent) can catch a Felony. Needs to be case by case restoration.
(06-04-2018, 09:23 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with the reason for invalidation. However, I don’t agree that there should never be an avenue for rights restoration. People make mistakes and in this day and age, one slip of the law (non-violent) can catch a Felony. Needs to be case by case restoration.

In Florida, the governor can restore voting rights, so it's a case by case evaluation. About 400 former felons per year have had their voting rights restored under Rick Scott.
(06-04-2018, 10:29 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2018, 09:23 AM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with the reason for invalidation. However, I don’t agree that there should never be an avenue for rights restoration. People make mistakes and in this day and age, one slip of the law (non-violent) can catch a Felony. Needs to be case by case restoration.

In Florida, the governor can restore voting rights, so it's a case by case evaluation. About 400 former felons per year have had their voting rights restored under Rick Scott.

In Florida, the Board of Parole does that...There is a form you fill out and submit to them and they make the decision to either restore your civil rights or deny your request...Then you have to submit a similar request to the Governor to restore your gun rights if eligible...That is the process I had to go through anyway...

Restore Your Rights | ACLU of Florida
https://www.aclufl.org/en/restore-your-rights
[size=undefined]
APPLYING FOR RESTORATION OF CIVIL RIGHTS IN FLORIDA In Florida, a past felony conviction usually means loss of civil rights, including the right to vote,[/size]

[size=undefined]https://www.jacksonvillelawyer.pro/restoration-of-gun-rights.html[/size]

[size=undefined]ok upon reading the first link I posted it's now the Governor and the  Office of Executive Clemency in Tallahassee that does this...When I did it it was the Parole Board...[/size]

[size=undefined]wth happened to my text shrinking? [/size]

[size=undefined]You can also file a request for a full Pardon from the governor [/size]
(06-04-2018, 10:29 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]

The Florida process was recently ruled to be in violation of the US constitution as well, for being too arbitrary.
Also, 400 per year is a trickle compared to the number who apply and have had clean records since being released from jail.
Automatic restoration for non-violent and non-sexual offenders is the way to go and fortunately we in Florida will get a chance to change our system to that in the next election.
One day we, I could have seen on the billboard

Followers you now can wage war in the streets
And commit felonies to move our cause against the Elephant
And then be able to vote us (dems) in office
(06-04-2018, 10:41 AM)wrong_box Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2018, 10:29 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]In Florida, the governor can restore voting rights, so it's a case by case evaluation. About 400 former felons per year have had their voting rights restored under Rick Scott.

In Florida, the Board of Parole does that...There is a form you fill out and submit to them and they make the decision to either restore your civil rights or deny your request...Then you have to submit a similar request to the Governor to restore your gun rights if eligible...That is the process I had to go through anyway...

[size=undefined]Office of Executive Clemency in Tallahassee that does this...When I did it it was the Parole Board...[/size]

[size=undefined] [/size]

Yep. Crist allowed the parole board to make the decisions, but that law was changed under Scott.

(06-04-2018, 10:48 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-04-2018, 10:29 AM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]In Florida, the governor can restore voting rights, so it's a case by case evaluation. About 400 former felons per year have had their voting rights restored under Rick Scott.

The Florida process was recently ruled to be in violation of the US constitution as well, for being too arbitrary.
Also, 400 per year is a trickle compared to the number who apply and have had clean records since being released from jail.
Automatic restoration for non-violent and non-sexual offenders is the way to go and fortunately we in Florida will get a chance to change our system to that in the next election.

Ruled by one Leftist judge. It's under appeal.
I'm conflicted on this one. I'd like to think that once you serve your time then your rights should be fully reinstated. But I've seen so many felons live that life forever, and I don't think that if you go around victimizing people consistently that you should have an equal say in how society handles issues. So, maybe after two felony convictions they can restrict voting rights?
There are different classes of felons people.

I'm going to be completely honest here.. I was charged with a felony when I was 22 years old (I'm 36 now). I returned home to visit..went to a party with old friends I haven't seen since high school, got drunk, and in my inebriation state picked up the wrong pack of cigarettes off a table. Later that night I was stopped by police outside..was searched and they found a empty corner of a plastic bag that was cut which had cocaine residue on it that was shoved into the bottom of that pack of cigarettes.. automatic felony possession of less than a gram (they had to cotton swab it..).

I did two years of deferred probation.. People who think "all felons want handouts" or "all felons vote democrat" are morons. I have had a job since I was legally able to work, I've never been on food stamps,..hell I've never even filed for unemployment when I was working turnarounds and in between jobs...and I'm not a Democrat, I'm a conservative.

I was a naive dumb kid 14 years ago and one night I caught a charge for something I didn't even know I had in my pocket. I learned a lot from that though..was always extremely guarded and aware of my surroundings after that and had to cut childhood friends out of my life.

Point is, you'd be surprised who you probably know that has caught a case over one bad decision or just one bad night. Like I said..not all felons are the same, especially those that have a non violent conviction. You want to take away someone's rights for armed roberery, rape, repeat offender etc. Go ahead. But I learned it doesn't take much to catch a case and I'm sure there's plenty of more people like me out there, good people who got caught up.
(06-05-2018, 10:34 PM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: [ -> ]There are different classes of felons people.

I'm going to be completely honest here.. I was charged with a felony when I was 22 years old (I'm 36 now). I returned home to visit..went to a party with old friends I haven't seen since high school, got drunk, and in my inebriation state picked up the wrong pack of cigarettes off a table. Later that night I was stopped by police outside..was searched and they found a empty corner of a plastic bag that was cut which had cocaine residue on it that was shoved into the bottom of that pack of cigarettes.. automatic felony possession of less than a gram  (they had to cotton swab it..).

I did two years of deferred probation.. People who think "all felons want handouts" or "all felons vote democrat" are morons. I have had a job since I was legally able to work, I've never been on food stamps,..hell I've never even filed for unemployment when I was working turnarounds and in between jobs...and I'm not a Democrat, I'm a conservative.

I was a naive dumb kid 14 years ago and one night I caught a charge for something I didn't even know I had in my pocket. I learned a lot from that though..was always extremely guarded and aware of my surroundings after that and had to cut childhood friends out of my life.

Point is, you'd be surprised who you probably know that has caught a case over one bad decision or just one bad night. Like I said..not all felons are the same, especially those that have a non violent conviction. You want to take away someone's rights for armed roberery, rape, repeat offender etc. Go ahead. But I learned it doesn't take much to catch a case and I'm sure there's plenty of more people like me out there, good people who got caught up.
Your situation is not unusual at all. In fact, nonviolent felony conviction have become so prevalent that businesses are having to adjust their hiring practices. It’s life changing but not the end of the road unless you let it keep you down. Appreciate your honest point of view. Most of us have done stupid stuff as a kid, but are lucky enough to not get caught up.