Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Another cheap shot at Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just when you thought Bortles might be getting some respect, this appears in the nfl.com write-up on AJ Bouye...

“There’s a reason Jacksonville made it to the doorstep of the Superbowl (no, it isn’t Blake Bortles).”

Lazy, cheap and inaccurate.
(06-05-2018, 02:24 AM)Andy G Wrote: [ -> ]Just when you thought Bortles might be getting some respect, this appears in the nfl.com write-up on AJ Bouye...

“There’s a reason Jacksonville made it to the doorstep of the Superbowl (no, it isn’t Blake Bortles).”

I just hope we keep getting disrespected and fly under the radar again.

Then shut everyone up with a Super Bowl run. The negativity from the press doesn't irritate me, I have to say, we're used to that having been crap for years.. now we're good, I find the negativity funny.
Bortles played good enough last year. But from a national stand point, he was a big fantasy player and last year his numbers were down.

But yeah, you could say it was lazy.
I might agree if we were talking about the regular season. But in the playoffs Bortles pretty much won the Buffalo game with his feet and did his Aaron Rodgers impression during the Steelers game. So, Blake was a pretty big part as to why they almost went to to SB.
(06-05-2018, 05:00 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles played good enough last year. But from a national stand point, he was a big fantasy player and last year his numbers were down.

The national clowns that call themselves media members hate to admit when they're wrong so despite having new information they still want to stick to their guns like 5 year olds. Blake isn't going to get the respect that he deserves but that's okay with me as long as he keep doing his job.
(06-05-2018, 06:53 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2018, 05:00 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles played good enough last year. But from a national stand point, he was a big fantasy player and last year his numbers were down.

The national clowns that call themselves media members hate to admit when they're wrong so despite having a new information they still want to stick to their guns like 5 year olds. Blake isn't going to get the respect that he deserves but that's okay with me as long as he keep doing his job.

A new information?
(06-05-2018, 02:24 AM)Andy G Wrote: [ -> ]Just when you thought Bortles might be getting some respect, this appears in the nfl.com write-up on AJ Bouye...

The cheap shots on Bortles may get old, but he absolutely wasn't the reason they advanced to a championship game. 

He was part of the equation, but a minor part of it in comparison to the Jags defense. Nine of the Jags wins last season came when the defense allowed 10 points or less. 

I was happy to see him take a step last year and it looks like he'll keep progressing, but if you are going to pinpoint a single reason the Jags advanced (even though there are more than one) then that single reason is NOT Blake Bortles. 

Unnecessary and cheap, yes. But not totally inaccurate. Just doesn't tell the whole story.
(06-05-2018, 07:01 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2018, 06:53 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: [ -> ]The national clowns that call themselves media members hate to admit when they're wrong so despite having a new information they still want to stick to their guns like 5 year olds. Blake isn't going to get the respect that he deserves but that's okay with me as long as he keep doing his job.

A new information?

New information that he improved from 2016 to 2017 but after the 2016 season many national media members wrote him off because he didn't live up to expectations that they had for him because of the 2015 season.
(06-05-2018, 06:04 AM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I might agree if we were talking about the regular season.  But in the playoffs Bortles pretty much won the Buffalo game with his feet and did his Aaron Rodgers impression during the Steelers game.  So, Blake was a pretty big part as to why they almost went to to SB.
Don't get me wrong, I love Blake. But in no way did he look like Rodgers against the Steelers and the Buffalo game was won by the defense. The offense was so inept in that game and Bortles couldn't hit a 5 yard out.

I must have been asleep then when I watched this entire defense get it's [BLEEP] handed to it and back pedal in Pittsburgh when Blake was bailing them out. I must have also missed it when he gave up a 3rd and 18 in the second half of the AFCC game or when the coaching staff decided to play keep away instead of staying in attack mode in the second half as well. 

God I hope this kid wins us a Superbowl. I really do. Because the first time these losers start praising him during the off-season next year I'll be sure to go out of my way to comment and write in about how they turned their noses up to him last year. At least eat your [BLEEP] crow when it happens.
(06-05-2018, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

The cheap shots on Bortles may get old, but he absolutely wasn't the reason they advanced to a championship game. 

He was part of the equation, but a minor part of it in comparison to the Jags defense. Nine of the Jags wins last season came when the defense allowed 10 points or less. 

I was happy to see him take a step last year and it looks like he'll keep progressing, but if you are going to pinpoint a single reason the Jags advanced (even though there are more than one) then that single reason is NOT Blake Bortles. 

Unnecessary and cheap, yes. But not totally inaccurate. Just doesn't tell the whole story.

I don't know that he wasn't the reason. I'll agree with you that the defense got them there by winning games in the regular season, but in the Playoffs, I think you have to give the game balls to Bortles.
(06-05-2018, 03:21 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2018, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The cheap shots on Bortles may get old, but he absolutely wasn't the reason they advanced to a championship game. 

I don't know that he wasn't the reason. I'll agree with you that the defense got them there by winning games in the regular season, but in the Playoffs, I think you have to give the game balls to Bortles.

He looked really bad in the bills game. Yeah he eventually made some plays with his legs, because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the football that day. He barely held on. That's not worthy of a game ball in any way form or fashion.  

Why exactly would you give Bortles a game ball vs the pats? He had a decent day, but he also ended a drive throwing behind a receiver and later came up short on the throw to Westbrook to seal it.  I have to factor that stuff in. Not game ball worthy. 

He made some really nice throws late in pittsburgh.  That was the highlight of his postseason IMO.
(06-05-2018, 02:59 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]

I just hope we keep getting disrespected and fly under the radar again.

Then shut everyone up with a Super Bowl run. The negativity from the press doesn't irritate me, I have to say, we're used to that having been crap for years.. now we're good, I find the negativity funny.
This.  Hopefully the media and league sleeps on the offense this year because we haven't had offensive weapons like this in years.  ASJ in the seam.  Chark over the top. Dede and Cole in their second seasons. Put 8 in the box this year and defenses are going to pay a heavy price.

(06-05-2018, 10:34 PM)Rooster Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2018, 02:59 AM)DarloJAG84 Wrote: [ -> ]I just hope we keep getting disrespected and fly under the radar again.

This.  Hopefully the media and league sleeps on the offense this year because we haven't had offensive weapons like this in years.  ASJ in the seam.  Chark over the top. Dede and Cole in their second seasons. Put 8 in the box this year and defenses are going to pay a heavy price.

And how could I forget Moncrief?  If these guys stay healthy we'll go from a bottom 5 receiving corps to a top 5 receiving corps this season.
Fun little clip of Blake hooking up with Lee, Cole and Wynn in OTAs.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1004170021659205634

The narrative about Bortles has been set so it's unlikely it will change among certain writers no matter what Bortles does.
(06-05-2018, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

In fairness though the jaguars won every game comfortably when they allowed 10 or less. The average margin i those games was more than 20 points and the Jags won every game. In other words it’s possible the whole team played well in those games, not just the defense.
(06-08-2018, 08:24 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2018, 10:47 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The cheap shots on Bortles may get old, but he absolutely wasn't the reason they advanced to a championship game. 

In fairness though the jaguars won every game comfortably when they allowed 10 or less. The average margin i those games was more than 20 points and the Jags won every game. In other words it’s possible the whole team played well in those games, not just the defense.

I see your point, but the defense gave the offense short fields so many times in those games. 

Here is a listing of some of the short field yardage given to the offense in those games that resulted in scoring:

7, 34 ,28 ,32 , 2 , 47 ,37 ,31, 45, 25, 45

I'm going to keep on giving the defense the lion's share of the credit.
(06-08-2018, 09:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-08-2018, 08:24 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: [ -> ]In fairness though the jaguars won every game comfortably when they allowed 10 or less. The average margin i those games was more than 20 points and the Jags won every game. In other words it’s possible the whole team played well in those games, not just the defense.

I see your point, but the defense gave the offense short fields so many times in those games. 

Here is a listing of some of the short field yardage given to the offense in those games that resulted in scoring:

7, 34 ,28 ,32 , 2 , 47 ,37 ,31, 45, 25, 45

I'm going to keep on giving the defense the lion's share of the credit.

You’re absolutely right. The defense was the main reason we won a lot of those games.

I don’t think that’s really in dispute.

But it’s these digs at Bortles that irritate me.

If the piece on NFL.com had wanted to give credit to the defense it could have done that. But it chose to single out Bortles for a cheap laugh.

Not something I’m going to lose sleep over, but I think it’s just lazy writing.
One thing I know about Bortles....he does not care at all about what his perception is outside of the locker room
NFL dodged a bullet last season. Imagine the disappointment selling a blake bortles/nick foles super bowl.
Bortles played well enough to beat the pats. Just didnt go your way in the end
Bortles had a huge part in the squeelers game. Your defense looked like the tacks from a few years back in that one. Coulda swore i saw michael griffen and renaldo hill back there. (Started strong though, maybe the coaching let the squeelers back in it?).
Think Bortles continues to improve. He will always get the shots from the media however. Even last night on nfl network someone picked the jags to be the team who hasnt won a super bowl to win, and whats her name was like "who's your quarterback"
Its lazy. Bortles has been that guy, it will take a few good seasons to be talked about differently
Pages: 1 2