Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Punter Concerns?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's June 11th, I'm bored, football is not close to being played, NBA playoffs are over, Braves dont play today, World Cup hasn't started yet, my last semester of college starts tomorrow , and did I mention I'm bored? 

What does this mean? It means let's have a conversation about our punting situation!!! Now let's not get too concerned or excited but based off our training camp invites, which include 2 punters, should we be concerned about Cooke? Punting is a huge part of our success because it sets up good field position for our defense. Now some people are gonna say oh they're just camp legs, but we didn't bring in another kicker to compete with Lambo and decided to bring in an extra punter. This is concerning to me because it's not like when pads go on it effects the punter so if Cooke didn't look good in OTAs then he probably wont look good at mini camp. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
As long as he’s better that Nortman we should be fine. He was just to inconsistent. Outkicked his coverage too many times and would shak some every now and again.
The first year we signed Nortman which was Gus's last year he was a monster. Literally our only bright spot on the team outside of Ramsey and Telvin. Dude was almost automatic at flipping field position. Then this past year when the team was for the most part pretty good he stunk it up. He was good for maybe one decent punt per game. I don't know what the heck happened. I'm glad we took one late in the draft just in case.
(06-11-2018, 05:11 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]The first year we signed Nortman which was Gus's last year he was a monster. Literally our only bright spot on the team outside of Ramsey and Telvin. Dude was almost automatic at flipping field position. Then this past year when the team was for the most part pretty good he stunk it up. He was good for maybe one decent punt per game. I don't know what the heck happened. I'm glad we took one late in the draft just in case.

pretty much this
I expect Cooke will be just fine.

Not concerned.
Nortman's problem last year was that he either outkicked his coverage by 15 yards or shanked it 30 yards and out of bounds. There weren't too many particularly great punts in there, and a lot of that is probably because Joe DeCamillis loves directional punters. Brad Nortman is as much a directional punter as a tank of napalm is a precision munition.

Cooke is very much a directional punter. His punts in college (so I've been told) tended to be very high and in the 40-45 yard range, landing around the time his gunners got there. That's a Joe DeCamillis punter for you. The man went on record during his first stint in Jacksonville saying that the perfect punt is 40 yards with no return. Cooke will be fine. If he's not, there's another Chris Hanson floating around out there who'll come in and steal the job away.
(06-11-2018, 04:31 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]It's June 11th, I'm bored, football is not close to being played, NBA playoffs are over, Braves dont play today, World Cup hasn't started yet, my last semester of college starts tomorrow , and did I mention I'm bored? 

What does this mean? It means let's have a conversation about our punting situation!!! Now let's not get too concerned or excited but based off our training camp invites, which include 2 punters, should we be concerned about Cooke? Punting is a huge part of our success because it sets up good field position for our defense. Now some people are gonna say oh they're just camp legs, but we didn't bring in another kicker to compete with Lambo and decided to bring in an extra punter. This is concerning to me because it's not like when pads go on it effects the punter so if Cooke didn't look good in OTAs then he probably wont look good at mini camp. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Congratulations, that's a marvelous achievement.

They may have brought in the extra punter to keep Cooke honest and keep him from getting too complacent or cocky- make him earn it.
Not concerned at all. We have one of the most talented teams in pro football, which means we can over come some struggling players.

Guys like Ramsey, Smith, Jack, Yannick, Campbell, Fournette, and Bouye will make guys like Cooke look good.

If the team is winning then that's all that matters.

So an average punter is all we need. Cooke just needs to be average.
If it gets really bad, just have Blake punt. His punt at Wembley when he scored a rushing TD was a thing of beauty.
We will not punt
I have no concerns with the punting situation. 2 yeas ago we needed a big leg punter who could flip the field with our offense not getting past our own 20 yard line. Nortman was good at that. He was hitting punts from the 5 10 and 15 yrad lines cause thats where our offese stalled. Last year he did not have to punt that many times and was punting alot from around the 50 so his punts were shorter and he shanked a few. Im guessing the coaches feel we will not punt a whole lot this year and we can save some money going with a rookie. If you look at good teams ie the Pats thier punter barely gets on the field except for extra points. Cooke Has a big leg and can be used on kickoffs. So lets hope he can handle snaps and get the ball down for the extra points really well. I dont think we will need him as much in the punting game as in years past.
(06-12-2018, 10:26 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]We will not punt

Why? with this Defense i have been tossing round  the idea of punting on 1st down.
(06-12-2018, 11:44 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2018, 10:26 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]We will not punt

Why? with this Defense i have been tossing round  the idea of punting on 1st down.

The defense is the reason we can just go for it on 4th down. Laughing
(06-11-2018, 08:52 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations, that's a marvelous achievement.

Thank you! The struggle of being a double major is almost over
Cooke was bouncing footballs off the roof of the covered field. Zero worries.

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/9...9739601921
(06-12-2018, 03:05 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]Cooke was bouncing footballs off the roof of the covered field.  Zero worries.

To be fair, how high is that practice roof exactly? It doesn't look all that high honestly. Definitely not high enough that you should be practicing punts in it.
(06-12-2018, 08:39 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2018, 03:05 PM)pirkster Wrote: [ -> ]Cooke was bouncing footballs off the roof of the covered field.  Zero worries.

To be fair, how high is that practice roof exactly? It doesn't look all that high honestly. Definitely not high enough that you should be practicing punts in it.

It's definitely low for punting.