Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Myles in the middle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe my knowledge of football needs to expand. But I’m a little concerned about Myles Jack moving to middle linebacker. He played so well at Sam last year that I’m wondering why we’d switch his position. I heard someone once say that you make your best interior linemen a center. I’m wondering if this is the same premise.
Worked for Linder but I'm sure tactically there's going to be a drop off because Poz has seen every offense in the NFL over his career where Myles has pretty much played one year
Because every team would like to have a Ray Lewis, Jack has that kind of potential.
Myles was drafted to be the MLB of the future.

The future is now.
He’ll be effective but you do have to wonder if his size could be a big disadvantage.
(06-17-2018, 02:26 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]He’ll be effective but you do have to wonder if his size could be a big disadvantage.

If we didn't have the DL we have with the big DTs and two bigger DEs in Campbell and Bryan, and we were running a 3-4, I would share your concerns.

But at 245 or so, behind the line we have, he should be able to thrive.
I'm confused... Myles was the MLB last year...
(06-17-2018, 02:26 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]He’ll be effective but you do have to wonder if his size could be a big disadvantage.

CJ Mosley is basically the same size as Jack and he plays ILB in the Raven's 3-4 front. You typically want bigger ILBs in a 3-4, yet Mosley is still a beast at around 240 pounds.

(06-17-2018, 06:13 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]I'm confused... Myles was the MLB last year...

Yup, he was the MLB for like 70%+ of the Defensive snaps last year. He'll be just fine taking over that other 20-30% of the MLB snaps in the base defense.
There always seems to be some narrative floating about that doubts Myles Jack’s ability or readiness. I don’t get it.

The number of impact plays he made down the stretch last year combined with the comments from Jack and from his coaches this offseason tell me not only to not worry, but to be thrilled about what the 2018 season holds for this defense and the talented young athlete situated squarely in the center of it.
He's bigger than Mike Pete was...
He played inside 70% of the defensive snaps last year. He'll be fine. If anything, people should be mostly worried about Blair Brown being inserted into the starting line-up. That's mostly my concern. Between him and the lack of depth at the linebacker positions I am definitely concerned going into training camp.
He'll be just fine.

If anything, moving from the SAM who plays on or very close to the LoS to the MIKE who plays off the line, will help Jack in terms of his size. From what I understand about the Defense, the MIKE and WIL are 'protected' LBs in terms of being shielded from blockers.
Jack has tremendous range and athletic ability. Putting him in the middle of the action full-time is going to be awesome to watch. Not really sure where all the concern regarding his size comes from. The cat is a THUMPER. How many times did that dude lay somebody out last year and we had to eat a penalty or two? He could be another Luke Kuechly in due time.

But between the freak plays he made against the Jets with the fumble/INT, the pick in Pittsburgh during the play-offs and the strip, fumble recovery which SHOULD have been a game winning or at least game breaking TD play in the AFCC game the following week all give reason to believe that he'll be making even more splash plays in 2018.
If Jack stays healthy, he'll be a 1st team pro bowler after the season is over. He would have been a top 5 draft pick if not for the injury concerns and I've seen nothing but improvement from him, especially after he's been able to focus on 1 position.
No concerns about Myles in the middle.

Wonder what his playing weight will be, Prisco said before the playoff last season that he spoke with Myles who told him that he went down to 230 for the final part of the season to run better. I wonder if they'll keep him at that weight for the entire season this time.
(06-18-2018, 11:04 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]He's bigger than Mike Pete was...

Isn’t he bigger than Daryl Smith, who in my opinion was the best middle linebacker this team ever had, even though i believe he only played the middle one year here.
(06-19-2018, 07:21 AM)JW Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2018, 11:04 AM)Hard_Eight Wrote: [ -> ]He's bigger than Mike Pete was...

Isn’t he bigger than Daryl Smith, who in my opinion was the best middle linebacker this team ever had, even though i believe he only played the middle one year here.

Daryl play MLB a few times. The Ravens even tried to put him there. Some schemes don’t require the MLB to cover much ground. 

In our scheme Jack appears to be a great fit in our pass defense because of speed. My only concern, whether size or technique related, is I watched him get washed out a ton last year. Often times his speed allowed him to chase down his mistakes. Teams were able to catch our defense off guard for 3/4 of the year and have huge run games. A lot of blame fell to the line, but watch who was back in the LB positions during those runs and you’ll spot other indicators. As long as the Jags keep sufficient beef in the middle of the line, we can get away with speedy LBs.