Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Questions to the Board: Camp reports
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Health permitting, my plan is to attend the first padded training camp practice on Saturday. 

Over the years, I have made it a point to offer my own observations, with varying degrees of success/failure.  But I do have some questions for you guys/gals before I offer them this year.

1.  Would you guys want me to do that this year?

2.  FBT, are you going to do your camp reports this year?  Long time board members know FBT has established the gold standard of camp reports over the years.

3.  Is anyone else planning to offer camp reports?

4.  Given the state of the roster, there are seemingly very few starting positions up for grabs (my count is 3-RG, WR opposite Lee, and SAM).  Should you want me to do a camp report, do you want me to give my usual standard observations, or place an emphasis on these particular positions, as well as the rookies?

5.  Any other points of emphasis you would like me to cover in my reports?
(07-27-2018, 07:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Health permitting, my plan is to attend the first padded training camp practice on Saturday. 

Over the years, I have made it a point to offer my own observations, with varying degrees of success/failure.  But I do have some questions for you guys/gals before I offer them this year.

2.  FBT, are you going to do your camp reports this year?  Long time board members know FBT has established the gold standard of camp reports over the years.

4.  Given the state of the roster, there are seemingly very few starting positions up for grabs (my count is 3-RG, WR opposite Lee, and SAM).  Should you want me to do a camp report, do you want me to give my usual standard observations, or place an emphasis on these particular positions, as well as the rookies?

Yes please do camp reports Bullseye because we love your work
Personally I would encourage not only you Bullseye (always appreciate reading your opinions) but also other users to write camp reports if you all feel like it.
As someone who lives in Italy and will never be able to attend a practice I value all the information and impressions i can find, both from beat writers and fans.

Personally I'm interested especially in those battles you mentioned plus the secondary and WR. there's ton of competition in those areas. So some focus on that would be really appreciated.
I'd also like some context, whenever possible on certain plays/or players performances: for exemple if a receiver is making a few highlights catches I'd be interested in knowing if it was against the starters or the 2nd/3rd group.

But I'll gladly take any report or info you guys feel like writing, it's really appreciated
I would like to hear about the nickle CB spot. That spot could be the weakness for the secondary and im curious how dj will perform in it now that hes not being asked to be a starter on the outside.
To me, The beginning of Training Camp is the most critical of times because the mindset and expectations that the staff wants to be known need to be reinforced at that point. A team's culture exists no matter what, but is it the culture that the Staff is wanting?

What I would like to know is:
  • How do the players transition between drills / stations? Are they loafing? Are they jogging? They don't need to be all out sprinting from spot to spot but they do need to have at least a jog to them.
  • Relevant to the above, are the coaches seeming to just get in as many reps as possible and letting bad things happen just to get to the next rep? Practice only makes permanent; perfect practice makes perfect. Don't let bad habits develop early just so you can burn through reps.
  • Do the Coaches lead the energy level? You must coach within your style but it's my belief that your enthusiasm must be apparent to the players. Are the coaches running the drills or just letting the players perform them?
  • How would you rate the players competing to win drills? Are the coaches pushing the players to beat the guy across from them? Are the players responding to that? 
  • Is there snippiness between competitors? I don't mean, for example, between WRs but between WRs and DBs who are aligned against one another. Maybe I'm a little old school but I think that a little pushing and shoving between guys who are working against one another is a good thing. No injuries of course, but go ahead and push the edge of that envelope.
I think the board appreciates anyone who provides camp insight. It is welcomed for sure!
(07-27-2018, 07:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Health permitting, my plan is to attend the first padded training camp practice on Saturday. 

You guys spoil us out of towners who can't make it.  Whether it's you or FBT providing the updates, know that they have long been appreciated by this lurker!
I would VERY much appreciate any Camp Reports you, FBT or anyone else can provide. I usually go to the Coaches Camp and have a very hands on experience that I can do a write up of....but alas I am unable to attend this year due to work priorities.

Any insight is very much appreciated and valued.

Any insight you can provide will be valued, Bullseye. 

Wishing you improved health.
(07-27-2018, 07:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]2.  FBT, are you going to do your camp reports this year?  Long time board members know FBT has established the gold standard of camp reports over the years.

Did he do them last year? It seems like he hit the camp-reporting wall, but I don't have good long-term memory. I just remembered his excellent reports in previous years. Maybe he's a Dolphins fan now or something.
(07-27-2018, 12:43 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

Any insight you can provide will be valued, Bullseye. 

Wishing you improved health.

I second this.
Heck yeah give us your camp report. The more the merrier.

As for focusing on open roster spots, that makes sense but not at the expense of missing good highlights somewhere else. You'd kind of have to weigh that one.
I'm in Nashville here so I would very much appreciate anything extra since I'm not in Jacksonville. Thank you man!
Be sure to tell us what WRs are lining up where. Are Cole, Moncrief and Chark at split-end? Are Westbrook, Mickens and Greene in the slot? Is Lee at flanker? Etc...
Of course bullseye! Anything you can and are willing to provide will be much appreciated on this board. More details the better Smile . I plan on attending a few myself, I just have to work up the nerve to stand around in 95 degree weather for 3 hours, 2 or 3 days in the coming weeks.

I know that I personally, and I think I can speak for a lot of long time board members always appreciate your analysis/input regarding anything football related.  The same could be said not only for FBT but others as well.

I used to go to some of the practices open to the public, but I have other commitments on the weekends.

Finally, here's to your good health.
(07-27-2018, 12:10 PM)Crush Wrote: [ -> ]I would VERY much appreciate any Camp Reports you, FBT or anyone else can provide. I usually go to the Coaches Camp and have a very hands on experience that I can do a write up of....but alas I am unable to attend this year due to work priorities.

Any insight is very much appreciated and valued.

I loved that coaches camp thread you started.

Great stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the insight and well wishes.

I will try my best to inform.
Bortles throwing lots of pick 6s
(07-29-2018, 07:21 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles throwing lots of pick 6s

Hopefully he's getting them out of the way now so he doesn't throw them later.

...and to think Ramsey isn't even there.
Uh, let me guess....Lazard is gigantic, but nobody wants to scratch out one of the smurfs in his favor?