Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Planning a trip for the pats game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I saw there’s a similar thread so forgive me, but I’m planning a trip from Montana to Jax for the pats game. I went to my first jags game when I was 8 and then had to move to Montana. I have been to road games whenever jags play closer to the west coast but been waiting 20 years to return to Jacksonville so I’m beyond stoked for this. I’m bringing my girlfriend and hoping to get some advice to make the most out of the trip. 

Planning on spending a day on the beaches so what parts are the most fun? 

Girlfriend wants to do some shopping so what is the best mall or area?

Is the zoo worth the time? 

Any bigtime restaurants that are a must visit?

On gameday, any bars/shops around the stadium that I absolutely need to see?

Any other touristy stuff I should look into? Not super interested in memorials or parks unless you guys think it’s worth it. Again, we are coming from Montana so looking to see some big city stuff.
(07-31-2018, 12:45 PM)Captain_Caldwell Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, I saw there’s a similar thread so forgive me, but I’m planning a trip from Montana to Jax for the pats game. I went to my first jags game when I was 8 and then had to move to Montana. I have been to road games whenever jags play closer to the west coast but been waiting 20 years to return to Jacksonville so I’m beyond stoked for this. I’m bringing my girlfriend and hoping to get some advice to make the most out of the trip. 

Any other touristy stuff I should look into? Not super interested in memorials or parks unless you guys think it’s worth it. Again, we are coming from Montana so looking to see some big city stuff.
  • Atlantic Beach (at the Neptune Beach border) has a small throng of good bars and restaurants within close distance. 
  • Hanna Park is a nice beach to visit to see what the coastline here mostly resembled before being developed.
  • Town Center mall (Gate Parkway) should suit the shopping fix.
  • A few nicer restaurants I like:  eleven south, north beach fish camp, safe harbor (casual seafood joint), Black Sheep (noveau southern fare in historic district) 
  • The zoo is pretty good. Not world class, but it's cool. 
  • the second floor outdoor bar at Intuition Ale works near the stadium is pretty cool for "near the stadium" stuff
  • Visiting St. Augustine is a cool touristy daytrip 45 minutes south of Jax
(07-31-2018, 02:23 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2018, 12:45 PM)Captain_Caldwell Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, I saw there’s a similar thread so forgive me, but I’m planning a trip from Montana to Jax for the pats game. I went to my first jags game when I was 8 and then had to move to Montana. I have been to road games whenever jags play closer to the west coast but been waiting 20 years to return to Jacksonville so I’m beyond stoked for this. I’m bringing my girlfriend and hoping to get some advice to make the most out of the trip. 

• Atlantic Beach (at the Neptune Beach border) has a small throng of good bars and restaurants within close distance. 
  • Hanna Park is a nice beach to visit to see what the coastline here mostly resembled before being developed.
  • Town Center mall (Gate Parkway) should suit the shopping fix.
  • A few nicer restaurants I like:  eleven south, north beach fish camp, safe harbor (casual seafood joint), Black Sheep (noveau southern fare in historic district) 
  • The zoo is pretty good. Not world class, but it's cool. 
  • the second floor outdoor bar at Intuition Ale works near the stadium is pretty cool for "near the stadium" stuff
  • Visiting St. Augustine is a cool touristy daytrip 45 minutes south of Jax
This is dope. Thanks nyc
Saint Augustine is a must! I can't argue with anything NYC stated. Intuition Ale Works is also pretty cool. If you like wheat beers try the "Miles Jack Wasn't Down". Also if you are into Cajun food, give Rag Time Tavern a shot. It is at the beach.
The other guys are more Jax knowledgeable but I would highly endorse the Zoo trip, it's a good one. The landscaping and the work they've done in that area is, in itself, worth the trip.

St. Augustine is a perfect day trip- lots of bars and restaurants downtown (to say nothing of the beautiful beach out on the island). The A1A Alehouse has a nice view of the harbor and has good food. The nearby Chatsworth Pub has a 2 for 1 Happy Hour on their draft beers- have a couple of 8% Kentucky Bourbon Barrel ales to start off with, then get a seat on the balcony at the A1A for dinner.
This is all great stuff guys. Appreciate it
(07-31-2018, 04:14 PM)Captain_Caldwell Wrote: [ -> ]This is all great stuff guys. Appreciate it

NYC4jags had it about covered but if you get a little further south, Mickler's Beach is nice.  Jacksonville Beach has some nice things too, there are some good pubs and resturants there and a good place to walk around. Parking can be a pain, but it is in Atlantic Beach too.
(07-31-2018, 04:10 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]The other guys are more Jax knowledgeable but I would highly endorse the Zoo trip, it's a good one. The landscaping and the work they've done in that area is, in itself, worth the trip.

St. Augustine is a perfect day trip- lots of bars and restaurants downtown (to say nothing of the beautiful beach out on the island). The A1A Alehouse has a nice view of the harbor and has good food. The nearby Chatsworth Pub has a 2 for 1 Happy Hour on their draft beers- have a couple of 8% Kentucky Bourbon Barrel ales to start off with, then get a seat on the balcony at the A1A for dinner.

I second the zoo trip!! They have made a lot of changes out there and it really is pretty impressive!
(07-31-2018, 08:29 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2018, 04:10 PM)PF* Wrote: [ -> ]The other guys are more Jax knowledgeable but I would highly endorse the Zoo trip, it's a good one. The landscaping and the work they've done in that area is, in itself, worth the trip.

I second the zoo trip!! They have made a lot of changes out there and it really is pretty impressive!

Well shoot. I’ll have to go an extra day to make sure I have time for that then. Thanks! 

Being in Montana, there isn’t anything as far as public transportation. Are there any useful ways to get around (especially between beaches and downtown) that I can hit up or just plan on ubering everywhere?
(07-31-2018, 09:28 PM)Captain_Caldwell Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2018, 08:29 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]I second the zoo trip!! They have made a lot of changes out there and it really is pretty impressive!

Well shoot. I’ll have to go an extra day to make sure I have time for that then. Thanks! 

Being in Montana, there isn’t anything as far as public transportation. Are there any useful ways to get around (especially between beaches and downtown) that I can hit up or just plan on ubering everywhere?
Uber. Public transportation is practically nonexistent.
(07-31-2018, 09:28 PM)Captain_Caldwell Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2018, 08:29 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]I second the zoo trip!! They have made a lot of changes out there and it really is pretty impressive!

if you book a rental car well in advance you can get one cheaply. That's probably your best bet as downtown, the beach, the zoo, and other points of interest are often 7 to 12 miles apart and uber/cab fare will add up quickly.