Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gaining Greatness: Calais Campbell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(07-31-2018, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/main/netwo...-greatness

I don't think many of us knew the importance of this FA pickup last year...enjoyed the video
That was the first cardio exercise that didn't look half bad. I didn't think that existed.

But yeah that may have been one of the biggest FA signing we have made but didn't realize at the time.
I knew he was a special player. I just didn't realize how special a person he is until he arrived.

You need a guy like that on your team regardless of how he plays football. He's the rare guy who's got both.
(07-31-2018, 08:02 PM)jeff1013 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2018, 04:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/main/netwo...-greatness

I don't think many of us knew the importance of this FA pickup last year...enjoyed the video

I fully admit, I was totally wrong about the Campbell addition. I was confused why we were spending so much money on a guy who had never achieved double digit sacks in a season. Well, he made me eat my words and I love it. Apparently, he was tailor-made for our defensive scheme. I would absolutely love to see him do a repeat of last year's season. Having him, opposite Ngakoue is an unbeatable combination.
When I was a kid, I used to run wind sprints waist-deep in the ocean. It does so much more than strengthen the lower body. Combined with waves striking at odd angles, ocean-sprinting teaches the body a different kind of balance. It forces you to utilize your ankles and feet to maintain balance like nothing else can. If you do it enough for a long enough period of time it creates what I call lower center of gravity know-how. It becomes second nature. In other words, it teaches your body to coordinate in a way that normal football play and related training can't.

It's pretty cool to see that type of conditioning now in action.

Another type of ocean conditioning is wave-crashing. You stand facing the waves and try your best to stand your ground, not letting the wave crashing against your upper body. You try no to move your set feet. It's a good confidence builder, but it really makes you much more powerful teaching you how to be powerful against the kind of collision a tackler brings.
(07-31-2018, 08:35 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-31-2018, 08:02 PM)jeff1013 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think many of us knew the importance of this FA pickup last year...enjoyed the video

I fully admit, I was totally wrong about the Campbell addition. I was confused why we were spending so much money on a guy who had never achieved double digit sacks in a season. Well, he made me eat my words and I love it. Apparently, he was tailor-made for our defensive scheme. I would absolutely love to see him do a repeat of last year's season. Having him, opposite Ngakoue is an unbeatable combination.

Me too.

I guessed a few things about him.

1.  He would add veteran leadership.  Though I was right about it, I underestimated that impact.

2.  I figured given his size and him playing as a 3-4 DE, he wouldn't provide much of a pass rush.  Boy was I wrong about that.

3.  Dovetailing into 2, I figured with his age, he wouldn't provide much of a pass rush.  Boy was I wrong about that.

I would also say I didn't realize how big of a threat he was inside and outside.

I am glad the Jaguars signed him.
(07-31-2018, 10:33 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]Another type of ocean conditioning is wave-crashing. You stand facing the waves and try your best to stand your ground, not letting the wave crashing against your upper body. You try no to move your set feet. It's a good confidence builder, but it really makes you much more powerful teaching you how to be powerful against the kind of collision a tackler brings.

When I was 8, I thought this too.  Later, in middle school, I played actual tackle football and laughed at my younger self.