Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Ed King, Founding Member of Lynyrd Skynyrd Dies at 68
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you watched the Showtime documentary that just came out last week, "If I Leave Here Tomorrow", this guy was responsible for one of the most iconic guitar riffs in southern rock history.  RIP.

Lynyrd Skynyrd holds a special place for those of us who grew up here in Jacksonville around the same time these guys were taking off.  It's always a sad thing to see the band losing another member.
Damn. I hope he has found peace.

Are there any original members left at this point?
Gary Rossington and Artimus Pyle are still alive. Rossington is the only original band member still in the band I believe. Pyle has a Skynyrd tribute band that he's touring with.
I have a DVD of the 1988 I believe tribute tour with Ed King on in. Very talented man
Ed King wasn't technically a founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, he was a California native who was in Strawberry Alarm Clock, for whom the band that would become Lynyrd Skynyrd, One Percent, opened shows in 1968. But he was on their first three albums and wrote one of the most recognizable guitar riffs in rock and roll history.

Here's one of Ed King's last appearances with Skynyrd before burning out during their infamous "Torture Tour". Such a great band, but so self-destructive.

RIP Ed King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbszl2dAxwg
Actually watched the documentary last week...Apparently guy toured with the Beach Boys for a bit too. Helped with the Sweet Home Alabama riff. Never really fit in the the Westside of Jacksonville. According to the documentary he was stingy (is that [stin-gee]?) with his drugs.
Apparently he got P.O.ed one time after an argument and poured a bottle of beer over Ronnie's head. Needless to say he was gone talent or no talent.