Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The preseason needs to be shortened.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Season-ending injuries are always bad, to but to lose your season for a game that counts for nothing...it's infuriating. Every preseason, I don't worry so much whether or not we win the game--more than anything, I just want to make sure players--on both sides--come out healthy. For example, I'm not a Vikings fan, but I hated it for them when they piled up so many injuries last week against us. And now it's happened to us.

Reducing the number of preseason games is something that's been talked about league-wide in the past. Prior to 1978, the NFL played SIX preseason games, and 14 regular season ones. In 1978, the schedule changed to what we know today. My guess is the owners won't willingly reduce the number of games, because to do so would reduce revenue. I get it. But with the league being so sensitive to injuries these days, it's something that might merit serious consideration.

How many preseason games sounds right to you to prepare the players? Do we need four? Is next week's game against the Bucs really necessary? Truth be told,with a few minor exceptions, we pretty much know who's going to make the roster right now.   Then you add the value for the fan.  Why should Buc fans (or anyone else hosting a game next week) pay full price for games where the starters won't play?

Would you recommend a schedule with two preseason games and 18 regular season games? Or would you like to see preseason games simply eliminated, with no compensation in the regular season?
You continue to pay, they continue to play.
The preseason is basically 3 weeks with the 4th week being for rookies and bubble guys
I think preseason is important. It's on the coaches and the players to understand the risk and just play to try and re establish a rhythm after a long off-season. You need time to evaluate and teach from tape. I think it's fine the way it is. Just because some people get snake bit it's football and will happen even with a 1 game preseason. It stinks but it's kind of a necessary evil.
If you shorten the pre season, you just get these injuries in weeks 1-3 instead.

It's a necessary evil, you cant really prevent these injuries from occurring. You're going from relatively tame workouts to full speed/full contact.
I don't understand what the difference is if a player gets hurt in pre-season or the regular season.
I think the roster needs to expand a little bit to allow for injuries by four or five players. Practice squad is too risky for your best backups.
Honestly I'd be fine with no preseason. But I don't think that'll help on the injury front. Players would just get hurt week 1 and 2.
(08-26-2018, 06:32 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Season-ending injuries are always bad, to but to lose your season for a game that counts for nothing...it's infuriating. Every preseason, I don't worry so much whether or not we win the game--more than anything, I just want to make sure players--on both sides--come out healthy. For example, I'm not a Vikings fan, but I hated it for them when they piled up so many injuries last week against us. And now it's happened to us.

Reducing the number of preseason games is something that's been talked about league-wide in the past. Prior to 1978, the NFL played SIX preseason games, and 14 regular season ones. In 1978, the schedule changed to what we know today. My guess is the owners won't willingly reduce the number of games, because to do so would reduce revenue. I get it. But with the league being so sensitive to injuries these days, it's something that might merit serious consideration.

How many preseason games sounds right to you to prepare the players? Do we need four? Is next week's game against the Bucs really necessary? Truth be told,with a few minor exceptions, we pretty much know who's going to make the roster right now.   Then you add the value for the fan.  Why should Buc fans (or anyone else hosting a game next week) pay full price for games where the starters won't play?

Would you recommend a schedule with two preseason games and 18 regular season games? Or would you like to see preseason games simply eliminated, with no compensation in the regular season?
I developed a plan for an 18-game NFL season. ALL NFL teams play 18 games. Two pre-season games followed by a "normal" 16-game season. After 16 games are completed, the entire NFL takes Christmas off. 

After Christmas, the last two games of the 18-game regular season are actually THE divisional playoff as the four teams within each division face off. Importantly, each team has a chance to win the division. If a #1 seed is knocked off by #4 seed in the divisional semi-final then #4 advances to the divisional championship game. If #3 seed beats #2 seed the divisional championship pits #3 v. #4 divisional seeds and #1 and #2 play a consolation game. This completes 18 regular season games for each NFL franchise.

Following the divisional round comes conference championship round. Two conferences have determined the four divisional winners during the regular season. So each conference hosts two semi-final conference playoff games. ONLY the two winners of the conference semi-final advance to a conference title game. There is no consolation game. Logically, the two conference champs square off in the Super Bowl.
Players get hurt regardless. The only "preseasonish" injuries are pulled hammies and soreness. Really anything beyond that is just a flat out injury.
I think the preseason is just about right. They could probably do three games and add a few more padded practices, but it would throw off their current season ticket sales system. Teams would have to vary the number of "home games" from year to year.

I mean - these players, coaches and stripes all have to get ready for regular season play, and it seems like there's still a good amount of sloppiness out there in week 3, so I don't think they need to change much.
They need to just go ahead and penalize tackling, and add a set of touch football flags to their waists.
(08-27-2018, 07:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think the preseason is just about right. They could probably do three games and add a few more padded practices, but it would throw off their current season ticket sales system. Teams would have to vary the number of "home games" from year to year.

I mean - these players, coaches and stripes all have to get ready for regular season play, and it seems like there's still a good amount of sloppiness out  there in week 3, so I don't think they need to change much.

I will say that the officiating looked much better this past week from what I saw
Leave preseason alone. I believe it to be necessary for the players. Heck, wasn’t preseason like 6-8 games at one time? I think cutting it down more will actually do more harm than good.
(08-27-2018, 02:56 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2018, 06:32 PM)JagFanFirst Wrote: [ -> ]Season-ending injuries are always bad, to but to lose your season for a game that counts for nothing...it's infuriating. Every preseason, I don't worry so much whether or not we win the game--more than anything, I just want to make sure players--on both sides--come out healthy. For example, I'm not a Vikings fan, but I hated it for them when they piled up so many injuries last week against us. And now it's happened to us.

I developed a plan for an 18-game NFL season. ALL NFL teams play 18 games. Two pre-season games followed by a "normal" 16-game season. After 16 games are completed, the entire NFL takes Christmas off. 

After Christmas, the last two games of the 18-game regular season are actually THE divisional playoff as the four teams within each division face off. Importantly, each team has a chance to win the division. If a #1 seed is knocked off by #4 seed in the divisional semi-final then #4 advances to the divisional championship game. If #3 seed beats #2 seed the divisional championship pits #3 v. #4 divisional seeds and #1 and #2 play a consolation game. This completes 18 regular season games for each NFL franchise.

Following the divisional round comes conference championship round. Two conferences have determined the four divisional winners during the regular season. So each conference hosts two semi-final conference playoff games. ONLY the two winners of the conference semi-final advance to a conference title game. There is no consolation game. Logically, the two conference champs square off in the Super Bowl.

Press Release, Day After: Prices On The Rise As Fewer Games Reduce Revenue Opportunities
Owners aren't going to give up on the preseason games. The revenue generated from those games stays in-house, and isn't shared with the league. Unless there's a way to assure that owners don't lose a dime, it's not going to happen.

It should be left alone. It's up to the coaches to protect their top personnel during preseason. Injuries are going to happen no matter what they decide to do with the format though. What I never understood is why the NFL goes about playing it's starters earlier on instead of later on. If it were me I would honestly let my 2nd stringers play the first three games of the preseason for the first half in it's entirety. And then the third stringers or guys on the bubble would play the second half in it's entirety. 

First stringers would play the entire fourth game of the preseason to put all those practices and preparations to use during training camp and joint practices and then they get to rest that last week before the regular season starts after the final preseason game. When you look at Lee's injury. He took a pretty low and terrible shot to his knee from a guy that was drafted in the 5th RD last year and had only one start in the NFL as a rookie. 

Let the veterans and first stringers play the veterans and first stringers. Let these guys out there trying to make the roster launch themselves at other guys trying to make their roster. Accidents and injuries happen like I said earlier. But maybe a veteran in that position doesn't go low and bust Lee's knee up for the year because that very same veteran player is probably looking out to protect himself as well.
I would like to see expanded rosters for the regular season. You can't avoid injuries unless you never play.
Three pre-season games, with each team having joint practices against 2 opponents would be my preference.
(08-27-2018, 09:09 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-27-2018, 02:56 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: [ -> ]I developed a plan for an 18-game NFL season. ALL NFL teams play 18 games. Two pre-season games followed by a "normal" 16-game season. After 16 games are completed, the entire NFL takes Christmas off. 

Press Release, Day After: Prices On The Rise As Fewer Games Reduce Revenue Opportunities

The 18-game season actually increases revenue potential as two FORMER meaningless pre-season contests become finale-type divisional playoff games . The end of the regular season every NFL team advances to the divisional round. 

The divisional match ups are for all the marbles. You have to win both the divisional semi-final and divisional final to become the divisional champ and advance to the conference round.

Think of how intense the last two weeks of the NFL will become.
Pages: 1 2