Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: BIG! Trump Proposes Term Limits for Congress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
FINALLY A CANDIDATE PROPOSES THIS! FINALLY!

Trump Proposes Term Limits for Congress

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.— Donald Trump said he would push for term limits on members of Congress if he were elected president, arguing Tuesday that such a move is necessary to “break the cycle of corruption” in Washington.

Mr. Trump, speaking at a campaign rally in the battleground state of Colorado, said passing a constitutional amendment that imposes term limits on lawmakers would also help boost the economy, though he didn’t elaborate on how.

“We have to break the cycle of corruption. We have to give new voices to change,” he said. “The time for congressional term limits has finally arrived.”"

Unfortunately, Congress would be the ones that would have to actually bring up the legislation and pass it.

I'm all for term limits.  It's about time to make political office what it should be (serving) rather than a career.

This is what desperation looks like.

Quote:This is what desperation looks like.

From me? or Trump?

I've been calling for congressional term limits forever. Who else proposed them? Bernie?
Quote:FINALLY A CANDIDATE PROPOSES THIS! FINALLY!

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-says-he-would-push-for-congressional-term-limits-if-elected-1476822559'>Trump Proposes Term Limits for Congress</a>

"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.— <a class="bbc_url" href='http://topics.wsj.com/person/T/Donald-Trump/159'>Donald Trump</a> said he would push for term limits on members of Congress if he were elected president, arguing Tuesday that such a move is necessary to “break the cycle of corruption” in Washington.

Mr. Trump, speaking at a campaign rally in the battleground state of Colorado, said passing a constitutional amendment that imposes term limits on lawmakers would also help boost the economy, though he didn’t elaborate on how.

“We have to break the cycle of corruption. We have to give new voices to change,” he said. “The time for congressional term limits has finally arrived.”"

I agree with him whole heartedly.

I am also aware it is a false promise which zero possibility of ever happening.
Johnson's been proposing this all election cycle...as was Bernie.
Quote:Johnson's been proposing this all election cycle...as was Bernie.

Empty promises. It's like they don't know the powers of the executive branch.
Quote:From me? or Trump?

I've been calling for congressional term limits forever. Who else proposed them? Bernie?
From Trump. Why didn't this great idea come up earlier in the campaign? He's just flinging every little spot of poo he can find at any nearby surface, hoping something sticks. He's done and he knows it.
Quote:Unfortunately, Congress would be the ones that would have to actually bring up the legislation and pass it.

I'm all for term limits. It's about time to make political office what it should be (serving) rather than a career.

There is an easy solution: put it on the ballot in all 50 states. I bet the amendment would pass.
Quote:Unfortunately, Congress would be the ones that would have to actually bring up the legislation and pass it.

I'm all for term limits.  It's about time to make political office what it should be (serving) rather than a career.

LOL.

JW doesn't really understand how our Constitution works.  

Campaign finance reform seems to have more legs.  And Hillary is on board with that.

As for the actual policy position.  I'm for it.  But it's pretty clear that this new policy for trump is desperation.  
On a side note, I believe the founding fathers had a discussion about term limits too...  I think I remember reading it in college a long time back.  From my memory, the founders decided against it because there were some draw backs to limiting terms, plus they figured the elections would also work as a check against bad representatives.

Is it the time spent in office that corrupts, or is it the motivation that corrupts?  Obviously, it's the motiviation.  If you don't fix the finance issue, termed limits really wont help.  The billionaires and corporations will just keep hiring new shills every few years.  

It's the money that corrupts, not the time...

Quote:LOL.

Campaign finance reform seems to have more legs.  And Hillary is on board with that.

As for the actual policy position.  I'm for it.  But it's pretty clear that this new policy for trump is desperation.  
She's not actually on board with it, she's just saying it because it's what the progressive voters want. Nothing will come of it if she wins. 
Quote:From Trump. Why didn't this great idea come up earlier in the campaign? He's just flinging every little spot of poo he can find at any nearby surface, hoping something sticks. He's done and he knows it.
Between this and his call for lobbying bans and rule changes it kind of feels like you are right here. 
Quote:She's not actually on board with it, she's just saying it because it's what the progressive voters want. Nothing will come of it if she wins. 

If she doesn't make a strong push for it, she'll be a 1 term president.  No skin off my butt, either way...  But I think the odds favor your hypothesis.  I would hope she's smart enough to realize she needs to move to the left and towards Bernie... 

But odds are that you are right, and she'll continue to be a Wall Street Conservative.
Quote:From Trump. Why didn't this great idea come up earlier in the campaign? He's just flinging every little spot of poo he can find at any nearby surface, hoping something sticks. He's done and he knows it.

Quote:Between this and his call for lobbying bans and rule changes it kind of feels like you are right here. 

I think so as well. Anyone that is even slightly objective can see this is a desperate ploy to change the narrative.  It's the reason that the MSM isn't even really discussing it.  It's desperate and it's lame, to be honest.
TBH what we really need is proportional representation, instead of term limits.  *puts up flame shield*

Quote:TBH what we really need is proportional representation, instead of term limits.  *puts up flame shield*

Proportional representation?  Are you whooshing us?  Don't we have proportional representation?
Quote:Proportional representation?  Are you whooshing us?  Don't we have proportional representation?

No, we don't.  We have winner take all representation. 
Quote:No, we don't.  We have winner take all representation. 

Ohhh...  You mean, you'd rather have more of a french or european type House of Reps?
Quote:LOL.

As for the actual policy position.  I'm for it.  But it's pretty clear that this new policy for Trump is desperation.  

What does campaign reform have to do with my proposal to create term limits for Congress? IIRC that was how the 21st amendment passed.
Pages: 1 2