Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Contingency Plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Without Fournette in there, the game plan looked like it totally changed. It's like we don't think we have anyone else who can get the tough runs up the gut. One guy that impressed me during the preseason was Brandon Wilds. He's 6' and 220 lbs. and gutted out some good looking, tough runs in the preseason. I know we stashed him on our practice squad, but we might wanna think about moving him to the active roster, if Leonard is gonna miss any time, because with the way the game plan changed when Fournette went out, it became way too close for comfort. We cannot rely on Bortles' arm to carry us and sooner or later we're gonna have to realize the defense can't carry us every week. Hopefully, Leonard comes back fine for next week's game, but this should teach us that we need to keep another power runner on the active roster as a backup, in case Fournette gets hurt.
He said after the game he is gonna play next week and Maronne said it wasnt bad
4nette will play, but damn...looks like another season for him where he’s playing banged up every week
Hamstring injuries are haunting.
I think it is more that we have the same exact offense as last season and teams had all offseason to prep for it. This was a taste of it.Giants were prepared for all the rollouts and screens and it was obvious. Hackett needs to evolve and be WAYYYY more creative, this offense is completely unsustainable. They were able to surprise the league last year, no chance that happens this season.

I am more amazed that the run offense looked anemic with the addition of an all pro. Maybe just a bad game, but I was very optimistic our run offense would look much better. They want to be that run, run, run identity. Cam looked like hot trash and made some boneheaded penalties. If you want to be that run first team you have to be able to get more than 4 yards on 3 downs to ice the game.
(09-09-2018, 04:37 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is more that we have the same exact offense as last season and teams had all offseason to prep for it. This was a taste of it.Giants were prepared for all the rollouts and screens and it was obvious. Hackett needs to evolve and be WAYYYY more creative, this offense is completely unsustainable. They were able to surprise the league last year, no chance that happens this season.

I am more amazed that the run offense looked anemic with the addition of an all pro. Maybe just a bad game, but I was very optimistic our run offense would look much better. They want to be that run, run, run identity. Cam looked like hot trash and made some boneheaded penalties. If you want to be that run first team you have to be able to get more than 4 yards on 3 downs to ice the game.

The Jaguars didn't do anything fancy with the offensive scheme today. I don't think it had anything to do with that.
Fragile Fournette.
Maybe we’re sandbagging till we play the pats... hopefully?...please??
(09-09-2018, 04:39 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2018, 04:37 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: [ -> ]I think it is more that we have the same exact offense as last season and teams had all offseason to prep for it. This was a taste of it.Giants were prepared for all the rollouts and screens and it was obvious. Hackett needs to evolve and be WAYYYY more creative, this offense is completely unsustainable. They were able to surprise the league last year, no chance that happens this season.

The Jaguars didn't do anything fancy with the offensive scheme today. I don't think it had anything to do with that.

They never do, that's the problem. Like I said it is rollouts, screens, and RPO and the Giants came out in the second half and had it all covered. Only time they didn't Borts broke loose for that huge run gain. This was the bread and butter last season, but now we will see teams have studied it over the offseason.
Fournette ready to take albino tiger title from Lee.
Hamstring strains never heal while you're playing. Put him on ir and save for playoffs
(09-09-2018, 04:41 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe we’re sandbagging till we play the pats... hopefully?...please??

The thought actually crossed My mind in the second half. 
Keep a few offensive cards up your sleeve for the pats next week.
Makes a lot of sense.
(09-09-2018, 06:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2018, 04:41 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe we’re sandbagging till we play the pats... hopefully?...please??

Makes a lot of sense.

I had that thought as well.  Crossing fingers that hunch is right.  2nd half offense absolutely sucked.

Makes a lot of sense.

IDK, this team looked exactly like the team that played the pats in the AFC championship game. I don't think there are other cards; this is just Marones style. Next week will be ugly. Hopefully we can exploit a weak pats D, but honestly I'm not that confident.
(09-09-2018, 06:14 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2018, 06:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The thought actually crossed My mind in the second half. 
Makes a lot of sense.

IDK, this team looked exactly like the team that played the pats in the AFC championship game. I don't think there are other cards; this is just Marones style. Next week will be ugly. Hopefully we can exploit a weak pats D, but honestly I'm not that confident.

Nah.

They looked more like the team that played the second half of that afccg. In the first half of that game they were aggressive and creative on offense. They can dial some of that up again. They only really showed that on 3 or 4 plays today. That will have to increase. 

Hackett showed strikingly different game plans from week to week last season for certain opponents. I don’t think that trend will disappear.
(09-09-2018, 04:39 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Makes a lot of sense.
I think they knew they could win with the defense and the offensive penalties kept killing the drives. It was bland playcalling and some missed open WRs and ASJ over the middle a few times.

If Bortles doesn't throw around 5 back shoulder throws to bum Moncrief (who made 0 effort to catch them), then maybe they score some more points.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Any decent backs on the trade block or in free agency? Jags may want to make some calls. Yeldon is a good backup running back while Grant is a good back for the occasional big play. I don't believe either is able to take the bulk of the load in a run first offense.

lol, chances are no. I will say this, when its rainy like that, passing the ball is challenging. Even Eli had some really bad balls, no picks but he was off on quite a few throws. Add in Blake is already not the best passer, the defense was teeing off on the run game and it stalled. The O line looked like crap too, Norwell and Robinson looked like poop.
(09-09-2018, 04:32 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]4nette will play, but damn...looks like another season for him where he’s playing banged up every week

Yeah it's really unfortunate. Initially when I saw the trainer stretching him out I thought there was a chance he'd be back in but didn't get my hopes up. Looks like another year of the Yeldon/Grant show with some Fournette playing 1/3 of the games. I'm sure it will feel fine until the next game and then it just keeps getting aggravated. But if he is going to play I hope he's close to 100% and can be explosive not just falling into the pile and just playing to play because Yeldon has always looked solid filling in.
I have very little doubt that the Jags will add a running back to the 53 man roster. I can't say who it will be other than possibly bringing back Wilds or the other young back they just cut. They can probably trade a 7th rounder to get a back-up from another team also. Historically, it seems much easier to find serviceable running backs who can contribute right away, if needed.