Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Perspective not Panic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've seen a lot of knee jerk reactions on here. I think it's worth providing context for a lot of the things that are being talked about.

1st - Ramsey's ankle was definitely not at 100% he wasn't making the cuts/breaks on the ball that i've been accustomed to seeing from him. He looked a little slower than he did during the preseason but kudos to him to tough it out. I love the media praising beckham but not mentioning that Ramsey stacked the "defeats" category. Cool Odell gets 15 yards on 3rd and 20 .. but Jalen makes the stop and gets his unit off the field, the stat sheet may make it seem like OBJ had his way but the tape says Ramsey and co. won convincingly. I'm beyond unworried about Ramsey, when they did play man (assuming he wasn't getting hit with an uncalled illegal pick by Shephard etc.) it was near the redzone or on 3rd down and Eli would look off Odell to Engram etc. .. They couldn't convert using their biggest weapon when they needed to. While the soft zone coverage and "bend but don't break" approach was maddening I can't really argue it because it worked and we came away with the W.

2nd - Bortles, I have 5 points that need be considered in regards to his performance. Point 1: His top 3 guys from the previous few years: ARob, Hurns & Lee are all out, not to mention Marcedes. Cole and Westbrook really only got snaps towards the back half of last year, they're both 2nd year players who haven't had time to build rapport with Bortles. 

Point 2: As ppl are freaking out about his pick, I'm over here thinking "yea he could've put it a little further upfield, but Moncrief needs to go up for that ball, and I'm glad Bortles recognized man coverage and took the shot in a 1v1 matchup where the WR had 5 inches plus wingspan on the cornerback." Also Moncrief appeared to run the wrong route a bunch of times (maybe this was more evident at the game then it was for you guys watching on TV?) there was a route where bortles appeared to unrushed throw the ball 10 yards behind him, and all i could think was that the route was supposed to be a "comeback" instead of a fade/backshoulder; seeing as how Moncrief was pulled after that play and didn't resurface I think that he was being reprimanded for not knowing the playbook and/or being on the wrong page. 

Point 3: A lot of well placed balls were dropped, Westbrook had one on the first drive that hit him square in the numbers .. I know you're young but you have to catch that ball Dede!! Moncrief had another, Niles Paul had a bad one despite the CB getting his hand on it, and they happened intermittenly all day; Blake is what he is but when he does hold up on his end we have to have to have to help him out.

Point 4: I didn't really consider this until I saw the DVR when i got home ... The rain was more apparent of a factor at the game than it was on TV. Watching the screen unless you squint or pay close attention it didn't even seem like it was raining. The field was very slick and despite those conditions Bortles didn't seem to have a poor grip or lose his handle on the ball. His spiral looked much improved from last year to now and overall I think he was generally making good decisions.

Point 5: The left side of the OLine. Norwell stood out in a negative way, missing all that time over the summer/preseason did him no favors in a new offense, looked like there was a fair bit of communication issues as his man ended up in the backfield quite a bit. Cam Robinson needs to reign it in as well, his undisciplined penalties killed some drives and he got caught offbalance and using poor technique more times than i'm comfortable with, he reminds me of Khalif Barnes' 2.0 and if he doesn't make progress over the course of the season they may have to weight options at LT and look toward grooming Cam to be a RT. In a game where Olivier Vernon sat .. his replacement shouldn't have been making this much noise give how highly regarded our Oline was supposed to be, especially that left side!

All of this is stuff we can get cleaned up. I think the playcalling was just ok, and against the patriots i'd like to see them open it up a bit, more 2 back sets. Call the Deep Over route which Keelan Cole excels at and is clearly the best throw in Bortle's repertoire. Lee's consistency on crossing routes and 3rd downs was missed more than i thought; I'm hoping they groom dede in practice this week to try and step up into that role to provide a safety net for Blake. I'd also like to see more DJ Chark on offense and wayyyyyy less Donte Moncrief, that man looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. At this point get reps for the rookie and expedite his development, he can't be tangibly worse than Moncrief although I'm not privy to the going's on of practice. All in all, we'll be fine, Bortles' will be ok, we'll be at home without the weather, and a week to iron out the mishaps, we're on track just keep calm and carry on!!
We won our season opener, on the road. Isn’t that enough perspective?
Find a way to win. That's all we have to do. At the end of the season, all anyone will remember is the win.
People want a perfect game.  They won.  They played close to the vest in the second half because the defense was dominating all game.  They got one fluky run (although a great play by Barkley) and did nothing else.  They did what they needed to do to win.  Some people can't live with that.  I can think of several other contenders that would be happier with the outcome of our game than their own.
I remember getting our first win in week 8...

I think this fan base just isn't used to what a good team looks like. Still waiting for us to blow it like we used to. (Thats what she said)
(09-10-2018, 02:26 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]People want a perfect game.  They won.  They played close to the vest in the second half because the defense was dominating all game.  They got one fluky run (although a great play by Barkley) and did nothing else.  They did what they needed to do to win.  Some people can't live with that.  I can think of several other contenders that would be happier with the outcome of our game than their own.

Exactly, if you look at the whole picture. Bortles really wasn't a problem. I think they even held Fournette out in the 2nd half when he could've gone bc they knew with the lead they could manufacture offense with trick plays/misdirection if needed. And that the Giants were simply not going to drive the length of the field on them. It's week one so obviously it's not gonna be completely clean, but I couldn't believe the hate BB5 was getting while ignoring all of the other circumstances and challenges surrounding him. Overall they did a fine job, I'll take 1-0 any day!!
We're all happy that we won, but that doesn't mean we can't critique how we won. We vastly overmatched the Giants but the game was a nailbiter because of our offensive philosophy. Marrone's "I wouldn't take 15 more TD passes from Bortles if it means he throws 5 more INTs" philosophy is going to cost us games. I was hoping the AFCCG and Doug Pederson putting Marrone on full blast in his book would change things, but it doesn't look like it has.
(09-10-2018, 02:43 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We're all happy that we won, but that doesn't mean we can't critique how we won. We vastly overmatched the Giants but the game was a nailbiter because of our offensive philosophy. Marrone's "I wouldn't take 15 more TD passes from Bortles if it means he throws 5 more INTs" philosophy is going to cost us games. I was hoping the AFCCG and Doug Pederson putting Marrone on full blast in his book would change things, but it doesn't look like it has.

As Herm Edwards said,

You play
To win
The game

Did we win the game?   I’m starting to think I saw the wrong game.
The problem is all these haters and detractors are maddenites. They wont be happy untill we do this every game:

QB 35/35 5TD 0 INT 0 Sacks
RB 200 YDs 5 TD 0 Fumbles 0 neg plays
OL No Sacks

DL 20 Sack
DB 5 Int

Oposing offense gains 0 yards and copletes 0 passes
(09-10-2018, 02:43 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]We're all happy that we won, but that doesn't mean we can't critique how we won. We vastly overmatched the Giants but the game was a nailbiter because of our offensive philosophy. Marrone's "I wouldn't take 15 more TD passes from Bortles if it means he throws 5 more INTs" philosophy is going to cost us games. I was hoping the AFCCG and Doug Pederson putting Marrone on full blast in his book would change things, but it doesn't look like it has.

I must've missed that philosophy.  Can you post the link?
I think most real fans are level-headed and just happy we went up there and found a way to win like the good teams do. We know what our formula is, there was good and bad plays that we'd like to not have but for the most part we just hope the injuries are nothing serious. We're the only 1-0 team in the division for the 2nd straight year. The Steelers tied the Browns. Have film to coach off of and hopefully get better for the home opener against... the pats. We have a chance at revenge.
(09-10-2018, 02:56 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]

I must've missed that philosophy.  Can you post the link?

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180...ke-bortles

I already did. From less than a week ago. No lessons were learned.

Asked if would be OK with Bortles throwing 15 more touchdown passes than he did last season, but having five more interceptions, Marrone said: “No.”

“Because I know the turnovers will lead to wins and losses more than the touchdowns,” Marrone said. “Now if you said 15-game winning streak, I’ll take that. How’s that?”
(09-10-2018, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2018, 02:56 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]I must've missed that philosophy.  Can you post the link?

Asked if would be OK with Bortles throwing 15 more touchdown passes than he did last season, but having five more interceptions, Marrone said: “No.”

“Because I know the turnovers will lead to wins and losses more than the touchdowns,” Marrone said. “Now if you said 15-game winning streak, I’ll take that. How’s that?”

I dont have a problem with the philosophy. Stats are meaningless as long as you win. His point was, he wants to win. Whether that means Fournette runs for 200 yards per game or Blake throws 4 tds per game doesn't matter, get the W. Adding 5 INTs can be much more back breaking than adding 15 tds could.
(09-10-2018, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2018, 02:56 PM)Rico Wrote: [ -> ]I must've missed that philosophy.  Can you post the link?

So then you're saying the Giants are as dangerous as the Pats?  Personally, I completely understood it yesterday.

Wait...that's a "philosophy"?  You're acting like he stated this.  He was asked a question and his answer was "No".

From your own damn article:

"Asked if would be OK with Bortles throwing 15 more touchdown passes than he did last season, but having five more interceptions, Marrone said: “No.”
(09-10-2018, 03:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2018, 03:03 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180...ke-bortles

I dont have a problem with the philosophy. Stats are meaningless as long as you win. His point was, he wants to win. Whether that means Fournette runs for 200 yards per game or Blake throws 4 tds per game doesn't matter, get the W. Adding 5 INTs can be much more back breaking than adding 15 tds could.

3:1 TD:INT ratio would be 3rd best all time. I will gladly take the all time elite efficiency please.
(09-10-2018, 03:10 PM)Upper Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2018, 03:09 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]I dont have a problem with the philosophy. Stats are meaningless as long as you win. His point was, he wants to win. Whether that means Fournette runs for 200 yards per game or Blake throws 4 tds per game doesn't matter, get the W. Adding 5 INTs can be much more back breaking than adding 15 tds could.

3:1 TD:INT ratio would be 3rd best all time. I will gladly take the all time elite efficiency please.

Ok. If you add 15/5 to Blake last year he's at 36tds to 18 ints. 2:1

Good? Absolutely. But that doesn't guarantee wins. Just look at 2015. 

My point is I would love to see Blake have 36tds, but as long as he wins what does it matter?
We need more offensive production no question about it.

There is no such thing as "vastly overmatched" in the NFL. This isn't college ball. There are no Samfords on the schedule that should trouble you if you squeak out a win.

The only difference between the good teams and the bad teams in the NFL is that the good teams find a way to win the close games and the bad teams don't.

We won a close game on the road in poor weather without our best offensive weapon. That's what good NFL teams do.
Firesky, I appreciate the on-site take mate. Lol at he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He absolutely should have contested that int; wasn't a bad throw, just a 50/50 in which he gave 0, Jenkins 100. The O is generally a simple, efficient design that can be tidy and challenging to defend when everyone does their job. Here's hoping the left side of the Oline gets their act together, and for Chark to be featured. Bortles was not the problem yesterday.

You cannot say it any better, Predator.
Well when I saw the schedule when it was released this was a tough on to pick. The Giants were just awful last year but they have a solid D and plenty of weapons on O. Plus it was Beckham back and Barkleys first game. On the road, in the rain, that's not an easy game.

O started well and Bortles made some nice throws early on. There was plenty to be encouraged by but let's remember it's week one with a lot of new parts to get working together, it's not going to click right away and we don't want to start the season in our best form, you build up to it and try and hit that streak around week 10 and see how far it takes you.

The D line played really well, the rotation is going to pay off huge as the season progresses. There were mistakes in the secondary but we didn't give up big plays over and over and usually got them off the field. Again, a few new pieces to fit, let's also not forget the first proper game without Poz, that guy did a lot.

It was an ugly second half but we got the win and once we got ahead the Giants never really threatened us. For week 1 it ticked all the boxes and sets us up nicely for the Patriots. We're a game up already in the South. 

Can't wait for Sunday.
Pages: 1 2 3