Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jags Must Focus More on the Future and Less on Week Two
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While as exhilarating, breathtaking and inspiring as our week one win was, we cannot lose perspective about the importance of the long haul. While I know everyone is excited to play New England this weekend, the fact of the matter is that is a meaningless non divisional game that will have no bearing on our long term goals. While on the other hand, week threes game is a divisional home game against Tennessee is an absolute must win. 

I think there is some serious value in utilizing the majority of the practice time this week to prepare for Tennessee. I'm not saying we play to lose vs. New England - I would never suggest that. That said, we have a young team and I am extremely concerned that if we were to beat New England, we would come into the game against Tennessee way to arrogant and cocky, and would subsequently get upset. I'd rather be 2-1 and be along in first place in the division than 2-1 and second place in inter divisional games. 

This week presents a great opportunity to rest our starters and get our back ups some snaps vs. a formidable and good, but not great opponent. These reps could come in handy down the road and would allow us to develop more depth along the way. I also think there is serious value in taking an early loss and eliminating the talk of an defeated season thus turning our attention to the grand prize.
Wait...rest our backups during a regular season game in Week 2 against an AFC opponent? Even if it wasn't an AFC opponent, every week is crucial in the NFL. You don't rest a little more in one game just because of a match-up against a divisional opponent the next week. Sorry, but I strongly disagree with your topic and post.

[Image: giphy-tumblr.gif]
(09-11-2018, 05:27 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Wait...rest our backups during a regular season game in Week 2 against an AFC opponent? Even if it wasn't an AFC opponent, every week is crucial in the NFL. You don't rest a little more in one game just because of a match-up against a divisional opponent the next week. Sorry, but I strongly disagree with your topic and post.

You joined the board in 2007?  I am disappointed in you. Too much Nashville fumes?
I agree that we need to rest our future/reserves as much as possible.  The practice squad should rest as much as possible next Sunday.  There are 6 or 7 other players that really should take the day off as well.
(09-11-2018, 05:27 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Wait...rest our backups during a regular season game in Week 2 against an AFC opponent? Even if it wasn't an AFC opponent, every week is crucial in the NFL. You don't rest a little more in one game just because of a match-up against a divisional opponent the next week. Sorry, but I strongly disagree with your topic and post.

[Image: giphy-tumblr.gif]We can agree to disagree and still be friends. Most weeks are crucial in the NFL, this week is not. Why would we want to tip our hat against New England and show them anything that we want to keep a secret for when/if we play them in the playoffs. I disagree with your disagreement. I think we should rest key defensive players, Fournette, Niles Paul and probably, Dede, Cole and even Bortles.  I am ok with starters on our offensive and defensive line playing 2-3 quarters but even then, save our steam for the following week. We want a hungry team and not a cocky team and I for one don't want to deal with the distraction of a 2-0 start and then the  national media talking about an undefeated season. It's just to much. 
lol
lol, no...
(09-11-2018, 05:25 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]While as exhilarating, breathtaking and inspiring as our week one win was, we cannot lose perspective about the importance of the long haul. While I know everyone is excited to play New England this weekend, the fact of the matter is that is a meaningless non divisional game that will have no bearing on our long term goals. While on the other hand, week threes game is a divisional home game against Tennessee is an absolute must win. 

I think there is some serious value in utilizing the majority of the practice time this week to prepare for Tennessee. I'm not saying we play to lose vs. New England - I would never suggest that. That said, we have a young team and I am extremely concerned that if we were to beat New England, we would come into the game against Tennessee way to arrogant and cocky, and would subsequently get upset. I'd rather be 2-1 and be along in first place in the division than 2-1 and second place in inter divisional games. 

This week presents a great opportunity to rest our starters and get our back ups some snaps vs. a formidable and good, but not great opponent. These reps could come in handy down the road and would allow us to develop more depth along the way. I also think there is serious value in taking an early loss and eliminating the talk of an defeated season thus turning our attention to the grand prize.

[Image: 2C5NzjU.gif]

At any rate. Every game is a must win until you've secured one of six play-off spots. There's also nothing meaningless about a week two match up in our home opener against the team that [BLEEP] us over pretty hard earlier this year in the biggest game we've had in nearly 10 years. 

Also. If this team does beat New England. I don't think it removes the fact that the flaming tacks swept us last year. So kicking their [BLEEP] should still be a top priority when it comes to this division. And back-ups getting some work put in as early as week two will benefit the team how?

That would be like studying for an exam four or five months too soon only to barely remember half of what you studied for. The goal should always be to win out as much as possible, secure a spot in the play-offs and THEN consider giving your reserves some valuable playing time leading up to the play-offs to keep them more ready for certain rotations.
Yes we must rest the Boat and save him for Tack week!
I have an odd feeling Fournette won't be playing this week. Could be the Yeldon/Grant show.
(09-12-2018, 01:45 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: [ -> ]I have an odd feeling Fournette won't be playing this week. Could be the Yeldon/Grant show.

Could be a good thing with this match up. I think they'll keep Fournette listed as a game day decision though just to try and keep New England on it's toes to an extent.
Wait ...what? Play every game like it matters...because IT DOES!
I'm seriously trying to figure out how people are still whooshed by this.
(09-12-2018, 04:17 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: [ -> ]I'm seriously trying to figure out how people are still whooshed by this.

because he spent a lot of time putting together and structuring this well layered whoosh..... It is a whoosh right?
I wouldn't put Fournette out there with no week of prep. Test it out next Wednesday and get him ready for the Tacks.
Kinda disappointed we let the rest of the division get a jump on us by getting that early loss thing out of the way. Playing catch up already, this season may be a loss.
(09-13-2018, 12:17 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]Kinda disappointed we let the rest of the division get a jump on us by getting that early loss thing out of the way. Playing catch up already, this season may be a loss.

Good point.  I mean, the draft is all that really matters, right?
(09-13-2018, 12:17 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]Kinda disappointed we let the rest of the division get a jump on us by getting that early loss thing out of the way. Playing catch up already, this season may be a lost
Right! I mean the tinhorns are playing the tacks one of them has to lose and will get even more ahead.
I agree wholeheartedly. The backups need some valuable experience so that when we play the dolphins in week 16, and inexplicably bench our starters, we still have a shot at the coveted Ponce De Leon trophy.
(09-13-2018, 03:52 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree wholeheartedly. The backups need some valuable experience so that when we play the dolphins in week 16, and inexplicably bench our starters, we still have a shot at the coveted Ponce De Leon trophy.

[Image: DearestFrenchAmericanpainthorse-small.gif]
Pages: 1 2